Launch tower with elevator system

sdj64

A thread on the Gameplay Questions forum inspired me to make this. Can you build a stock elevator? Yes!

Hi all, my name is Bildun Kerman and I'm here to show you my elevator.

ncUzBnb.png

This here is the elevator car. It uses wheels to drive up the shaft, which is made of cargo bays!

TCiaDnD.png

The crew's all ready at the top.

Tweo8J1.png

Boarding the ship

uZtLIna.png

Decoupling the supports...

fa74sFo.png

and, Liftoff!

SwCgsMD.png

It definitely needs more work to avoid Kerbals sometimes falling off, clipping through, or falling in between the car and the platforms. The car also sometimes jams or breaks wheels. And the way I set it up breaks the staging of the rocket when you separate from the tower. But I'd say it's a good start.

If you want to try it out or improve it: Craft file

This is brilliant! I've never really made innovative stuff like this in KSP but I applaud you for your accomplishment. :)

Slightly off-topic, but do craft files made using Ven's Stock Revamp stay compatible? I've been tempted to use it for a while now but I think some of the parts have different dimensions, which might make them incompatible.

+Rep for you!

This is brilliant! I've never really made innovative stuff like this in KSP but I applaud you for your accomplishment. :)

Slightly off-topic, but do craft files made using Ven's Stock Revamp stay compatible? I've been tempted to use it for a while now but I think some of the parts have different dimensions, which might make them incompatible.

+Rep for you!

I think it keeps the same dimensions but is just a retexture/reskin. I've used his mod before and it is amazing (the cockpit windows light up AND REFLECT what is outside of them (you need texture replacer).

• 2 weeks later...

Inigma Kerman, Naito Kerman, Rune Kerman, and Westi Kerman prior to filming for the all-new STS-4 Space Shuttle Intrepid launch. I already filmed the launch without it, but I'm adding this modified elevator as a subassembly to the STS Space Shuttle. :)

eFeuud9.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.