Bobcat DEMV Mark 4 rover UPDATED!

Raptor22

Sorry guys. I bit off more than I can chew.

I have been trying to learn how to actually mod (not just edit config files like I have been doing), but I found it to be WAY harder than I thought it would be. And school is dumping work on me like a load of bricks. I don't have enough free time to learn how to mod, and I wouldn't have time to mod even if I knew how. To any modders out there, you can try to pick up where I left off. Just make sure to message Bobcat and get approval first before you start. You can use the files in the download link. I was able to update it to the 0.20.0+ format. At least that's SOME help.

But this wasn't a complete failure. I made some friends, learned a bit about modding and about the rules of the forum. So I'm not too upset about it. :)

I also updated the DEMV Mk. 5 "Ant" Get it here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109809-BobCat-DEMV-Mk-5-rover-Updated%21

DEMV Mk. 4 "Rat"

Duna Exploration Manned Vehicle (DEMV)

screenshot36.png

I was able to update Bobcat's DEMV Mark 4 rover to the new mod format. The mod uses (With permission from the original creator) Bobcat Ind.'s DEMV Mk. 4 rover, and Bobcat's CleverBobcat plugin, which is included with the mod. (Links down below) You use the I, K, J, and L keys like the WSAD keys to move around.

Rover Instructions

Step 1 - Once you have landed, press "G" to lower the wheels, THEN open the drop pod.

Step 2 - Press I to roll out of the drop (wsad are for getting the rover right-side up again in low gravity environments)

Step 3 - ???

Step 4 - Profit!

http://vimeo.com/79954057

Download DEMV Mk. 4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/af6tf4miebdq9lf/DEMV%20Mk.%204.zip?dl=0

Disclaimer:

I do not actually own this mod. I just updated it to the new mod format, and really I'm only just a teen who can edit config files. All credit goes to Bobcat Int, the original mod creator. But I have gotten permission from the original mod creator to use it.

The link to Bobcat Ind.'s Thread:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81754-Release-BobCat-Ind-Space-Planet-products

All I did was add a wrapper to the config code. I'll bold all that I added in this example.

PART {// --- general parameters ---

name = DEMVMark4pod

module = CommandPod

author = BobCat, CrashnBurn

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z

node_stack_tail = 0.0, -1.6, -0.04, 0, 1, 0, 1

node_stack_side1 = 0.79, 0.0, -0.33, 1, 0, 0, 1

node_stack_side2 = -0.79, 0.0, -0.33, 1, 0, 0, 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, -0.7, 0, 0, 1, 1

node_stack_chassis = 0.0, 0.0, 0.05, 0, 0, 1, 1

node_stack_cargo = 0.0, -0.9, -0.3, 0, 0, 1, 1

// --- editor parameters ---

cost = 1800

category = Pods

subcategory = 0

title =DEMV Mark4 CommandPod

manufacturer = BobCat Inc.

description = Space for two kerbals, but don't try and drive from the rear cockpit, you only see helmet. Launch it vertically, drive it horizontally, crash it any way you like. The pod includes a small RTG and battery pack. There is not enough power to keep the cart moving at top speed for long, slower speeds are advised for continued best efficiency. Or just add more power.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 2.5

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 45

breakingForce = 250

breakingTorque = 250

maxTemp = 3400

fuelCrossFeed = True

// --- pod/rcs parameters ---

rotPower = 1

linPower = 1

Kp = 1

Kd = 1

// --- internal setup ---

CrewCapacity = 2

vesselType = Ship

INTERNAL

{

name = Mark4pod

}

// --- Pod Setup ---

MODULE

{

name = ModuleCommand

minimumCrew = 1

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.1

}

}

// --- Battery and RTG ---

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 50

maxAmount = 50

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleGenerator

isAlwaysActive = true

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.5

}

}

// --- Animation ---

MODULE

{

name = ModuleAnimateGeneric

animationName = podhatch_open

startEventGUIName = Open Hatch

endEventGUIName = Close Hatch

}

}

That's it. Just PART { }. That's all I did, and all I currently know how to do. Just please accept it for what it is.

Bobcat Ind. has this protected under a CC-BY-SA Creative Commons license. I have obeyed all standards set by Creative Commons.

All BobCat ind product 88x31.png License

All Rights Reserved

Original Bobcat DEMV Dev page:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/20286-20-x-BobCat-Ind-Release

Cleverbobcat plugin:

http://cleverbobcat.codeplex.com/

Once again I must emphasize (because of the moderators) that I DO NOT OWN the original mod, and that all credit for the mod goes to Bobcat Ind. I am obeying the standards set by the Creative Commons License set by the original mod creator.

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

Edited by Raptor22
Bit off more than I can chew. I can't find the time to learn how to properly mod or time to do so once I have learned.

Thread moved to addon dev for now.

Robotengineer: can you link to where the license is specified? To my knowledge BobCat releases under CC-BY-ND.

Raptor22: I applaud your initiative, but this needs to comply with the addon posting rules.

In particular:

1. You need to specify a license, and include the specified license (or its name) in your download zip (and it needs to be an archive).

2. You need to include, for all bundled plugins, either their source or a link to their source.

3. For all bundled addons not your own work, (a) their licenses must permit you redistributing and, if you make changes, deriving from them, (B) you must follow their licenses when including (i.e. give attribution etc), and © for any plugins, see 2 above.

There was no downloads in the thread. They're actually kind of rare on the internet. I downloaded the original mod here:

http://.....................com/space/modpart-18-4-demv-mk-4-rat-3132.html

There was no license included. In fact, I can't find any licenses for Bobcat.

Edited by Raptor22

@NathanKell

You know, This is my first thread, and no one told me about any of the licenses stuff. Please forgive the fact that I am, in fact, kind of a noob right now. I really don't know what I'm doing.;.;

- - - Updated - - -

I found out that they have a creative commons license.

It says on the creative commons page

[h=3]You are free to:[/h]

• Share  copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt  remix, transform, and build upon the material

• The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

[h=3]Under the following terms:[/h]

• Attribution  You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, andindicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

• NonCommercial  You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
  • ShareAlike  If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

• No additional restrictions  You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

It says that you can adapt the material, and it does not state anthing about not redistributing it if it's not for commercial purposes. And I'm not trying to make money off of this.

I edited the thread. I have links to all of the sources, and I specified their license. I gave credit to all of the sources. Are there any other requirements that I need to meet?

- - - Updated - - -

@MeCripp

Huh, the wheels don't work for me. They aren't even solid.

Edited by Raptor22

Raptor22, I quite understand being new (was once myself) and I don't blame you at all. :) There is a stickied thread in Addon Releases that covers the rules for, err, released addons.

Regarding this, however--as you yourself said, you did not find the download on that thread you linked. You found it on a website that has been banned on this forum for violating licenses, and in the archive you found for this mod, it contained no license. When an archive contains no license, it is treated as "All Rights Reserved." That is consistent with the license BobCat used in his original thread, when he did release the DEMV.

MeCripp: the linked thread does not have download links. It does say that now all BobCat Ind products are CC-BY-NC-SA, however.

Raptor22: I suggest you PM BobCat and ask for permission to do this. That will be the final word (either way) and clear up any confusion. :)

@NathanKell I PMed Bobcat, asking for permission. And, I don't mean to be rude, but there's a big purple DOWNLOAD button on the right side of the page. Also, I did not know that I could not use Kerbal Space mods. By the time you see this message, it will be gone. I'm sorry for that. But what you mentioned about "All Rights Reserved" Do I have to put that on my thread in order to have the link.

But what you mentioned about "All Rights Reserved" Do I have to put that on my thread in order to have the link.

No, because that would be you reserving rights to something that Bobcat reserved all rights to. That's what the phrase means.

So what has to happen is that he either changes the license publicly or gives you permission to do what you need to do.

Edit: And then you'd have the text on your front page saying 'used with permission'. (or a CC license if he changes to that or PD if he public domains it, etc etc)

MeCripp: the linked thread does not have download links. It does say that now all BobCat Ind products are CC-BY-NC-SA, however.

Every thread of his says something different. His old soviet pack thread says ALL BOBCAT products are CC-BY-NC-ND, and his newest one says All rights reserved. Since he keeps changing the license I'm assuming you need to go by the newest one which is all rights reserved.

This thread was a complete disaster. All I wanted to do was help people by updating the mod, so that they didn't have to do it themselves, like how I tried.;.;

Don't worry about it. I have had licensing issues my self, and while licenses are a pain, they serve a purpose. I noticed when looking for a license that his stuff is not always the same license, so it was a good idea IMO to do the PM. I haven't tried your patch yet, but when I do I will tell you how it works.

This thread was a complete disaster. All I wanted to do was help people by updating the mod, so that they didn't have to do it themselves, like how I tried.;.;

Dont get disheartened, license confusion and problems are not all that unusual, the guys giving you feedback here aren't hating on you, just trying to help you get straightened out :)

Since he keeps changing the license I'm assuming you need to go by the newest one which is all rights reserved.

Legally, you can use very version of the mod under the license it once had. You generally cannot revoke licences once given, unless the license already said the author has the right to do so upon release.

Yes, please do not get disheartened. Licenses can be complex, and the KSP community is somewhat unique in how seriously we take them, but--speaking for myself and I trust everyone else!--all we've been trying to do is help, because we *love* it when new folks pop up who want to help out. :)

I hope BobCat responds in a timely manner. :)

(On clicking the link to the thread MeCripp linked, I saw no download buttons, which was why I said what I did. Apologies if I missed them somehow.)

Bobcat Said that it was Ok, and the cleverbobcat page does have a download link. It may not be the exact version used, but it's still there. I can't find the exact version of cleverbobcat on the internet, because it is such an old version (0.18.6)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow, I realized that my other DEMVs (Mk. 2 and Mk. 5) didn't even have the cleverbobcat plugin! I put the newer version in my folder (the one from the link given by MeCripp (http://cleverbobcat.codeplex.com/)). So now it is the same one on Cleverbobcat's codeplex page, and I think that it might actually work now, and, since it is from the same page on my thread, the cleverbobcat plugin version I'm using is protected under the same license that is provided (CC-BY-SA).

I'll put the new cleverbobcat plugin in my folder on drop box once I make sure that it works.

Also, Do I need to put a license file thing in my folder?

- - - Updated - - -

It works! :D

KCUHNPsQAKG5rfLi6aVSAPrnhXZc4aXPgXhPF_gCBqA=w368-h207-p-no

Pfft, you call this a disaster? The part got released -- that sounds like success to me! :)

For future reference, CC licenses (and other permissive and copyleft licenses, and quite a few end-user license agreements of content-sharing sites) include language like "irrevocable" ("worldwide, royalty-free, non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, irrevocable", in the case of the 4.0 license, and I expect the 2.0 is similar: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode) -- in other words, someone can't release a work under that license and then later say "Nope! Those rights I gave you are gone now!" If something is released under one of those licenses, those rights are granted forever. Bobcat could release it (or another version of it) under some other license later, but if some version was released under that license, those rights are permanent for that version.

You sir are all WIN!!! This is great i have been trying to get it mark4 working with 0.90 but it was do some very weird stuff. I wish you could get the other demv working, especially the one with the kethane part tank texture, we need to get a karbonite tank working with the kethane one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.