N-dimensional superfluid bubble

rtxoff

In the newest episode of "The Big Bang Theory" they talking about how a hypothetical spherical multidimensional superfluid shows the same negative-energy density as space-time.

In that show they often mention stuff that is happening in real world science. So my question is did anyone of you heard anything about that n-dimensional superfluid bubble theory?

Or was this complete nonsense in the last episode (S08E14)?

In the newest episode of "The Big Bang Theory" they talking about how a hypothetical spherical multidimensional superfluid shows the same negative-energy density as space-time.

In that show they often mention stuff that is happening in real world science. So my question is did anyone of you heard anything about that n-dimensional superfluid bubble theory?

A quick Google search for 'multidimensional superfluid' throws up The Big Bang Theory as two of the top three hits. Superfluid vacuum theory is a thing apparently, although Wikipedia has tagged it as a fringe theory. 'Negative energy density of space-time' sounds spurious to me on a macroscopic scale but might be applicable at a quantum vacuum scale.

Without knowing any more than that, I'd peg it as probable nonsense, but I'm happy to be corrected by one of the actual physicists on here.

I can tell you the answer to the question but I need my mnemonic memory detector to find my mnemonic memory detector and all the memories of my future self will come back to me. Oh wait, wasn't that in an episode of star trek . . . . . . . .nevermind.

There is some basis in fact behind it in that a "bubbles" in fields behave as if they have negative energy. Casimir Effect is an infamous example. Similarly, superfluid vacuum is a fringe hypothesis that does have place to be. And, in principle, it would explain Casimir Effect as bubbles in superfluid.

The rest of the statement is nonsense.

• 8 months later...

The actual statement in the episode is, "Space-time can be interpreted as the surface of an n-dimensional superfluid." There is no reference to bubbles, spheres, negative-energy, etc. The references is to a "surface"; superfluids have highly idiosyncratic surface properties. The idea is taken seriously within physics, tho only barely, in that light traveling across vast distances is seen as having less energy loss than would be expected, were space-time a normal fluid. Not, however, if it were considered as a superfluid. The adjective "n-dimensional" (or nth-dimensional) may, or may not, have been thrown in to complicate the issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.