[1.0.5]SKY - Scale-up Kerbalism for You - Kopernicus Rescale [v2.0]

SkyRex94

Do you have config files with only larger bodies and distances, without moving anything around? :)
+1 for this :)

Here you go :)

--------------------------------------------------

Kerbol 3.7

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Features:

- Stock KSC location.

- Stock Kerbol system arrangement.

- Everything scaled by a factor of 3.7.

Bugs:

- Moho and Tylo are not working at the moment (writing this on 27-05-2015) - waiting on the next version of Kopernicus to fix this bug.

Licence:

Released under: CC-BY-NC-SA

Includes Kopernicus.

Includes KSCSwitcher.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Comment:

Apologies SkyRex94, I came here with the intention of making a stock system config of your 3.7/7.0 mod but ended up taking away the x7.0 scaling altogether. I'll go ahead and make my own thread so I don't clog up yours.

Forum thread is here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123268-1-0-2-Kerbol-3-7-Stock-system-re-scaled-x3-7-%28A-Kopernicus-based-mod%29

Edited by Eudae55

Thx! :D

Apologies but I've figured out that a x3.7/x7.0 config won't work because at 7 times the distance, some moons will be outside of its parent body's SOI.

So I'm going to have to make one that is either (planets and moons 3.7, planet distances x7.0, moon distances x3.7) OR (x3.7 everything)

Whats your preference?

Ended up going with a x3.7 stock system rescale.

Edited by Eudae55

Alright, I completely deleted KSP and all associated files and reinstalled fresh. I downloaded the mod zip file from dropbox on the first page of this thread (this link). The only folders in GameData (aside from the default "squad") were "SKY", "KSCSwitcher", and "Kopernicus", and all were copied directly from the folder "SKY Pack". I left out the ReadMe, Licence, or Optional rings. When I made a new sandbox game and looked at the tracking station, everything looked stock, except KSCSwitcher was working. Why isn't this mod working? Is there some setting or config I have to enable? Some file structure I'm doing wrong? Another mod I need to download?

Alright, I completely deleted KSP and all associated files and reinstalled fresh. I downloaded the mod zip file from dropbox on the first page of this thread (this link). The only folders in GameData (aside from the default "squad") were "SKY", "KSCSwitcher", and "Kopernicus", and all were copied directly from the folder "SKY Pack". I left out the ReadMe, Licence, or Optional rings. When I made a new sandbox game and looked at the tracking station, everything looked stock, except KSCSwitcher was working. Why isn't this mod working? Is there some setting or config I have to enable? Some file structure I'm doing wrong? Another mod I need to download?

You need Module Manager, which isn't included in the ZIP. It's such a standard dependency for just about every mod out there that it must have been forgotten to be included or mentioned.

You need Module Manager, which isn't included in the ZIP. It's such a standard dependency for just about every mod out there that it must have been forgotten to be included or mentioned.

And like magic, it works! I owe you a beer. Yo, OP, can you put a note in the README file about this?

Alright, now that I got that working, I was able to mod the config file to give kerbin and mun realistic radii. Now, how do I mess with their PQS to scale up the terrain height? I want 70km high mountains! Also, I'd like to mess with kerbin's PQS land control too, to make the terrain coloration correct-ish; any thoughts?

So using Deadly Re-entry, FAR and RealChutes are there any changes I need to do in the mods?

I know there needs to be some kind of edit in the DRE to work together with this better but I'm not sure what that edit is.

So using Deadly Re-entry, FAR and RealChutes are there any changes I need to do in the mods?

I know there needs to be some kind of edit in the DRE to work together with this better but I'm not sure what that edit is.

I asked Starwaster. He apparently doesn't care or something as he has ignored my request for some guidance twice. Feel free to try your luck n the DR thread.

@Olsson and @Svm420:

Check out this reddit thread on the topic

I edited the .cfg like they told me to in the thread. But for some reason my heatshields just explode on the launchpad immediatly. Also the mk1 pod with the built in heatshield is instantly destroyed upon launch.

And EVE nor GEM fx doesn't seem to work together with this, even though Kerbin itself looks very good with a high resolution I do not have any clouds or GEM fx effects.

Edited by Olsson

this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for for my latest custom career save!

and it's cool you put the KSC on the southern continent, while I was doing the Elcano challenge driving through there was one of my favorite bits of the journey, the views are just awesome!

edit: hahaha this is even more fun than I thought it would be, I decided to not look at any real info about it and making a rocket and trying to go to space like "are we there yet?? where does the atmosphere actually end?!" is just great fun, I got up there and now my kerbals are unable to return :D

and having played a bit more i realize that I went way too high, does the atmosphere actually still end at the same place?

Edited by Squiggsy

So, finally updated to the latest Kopernicus Version, Tylo and Moho are working now.

Sorry guys for not being here lately. I've some real life things going on right now (university etc.) which require(d) my attention.

But I'm glad so many of you like the rescale factor of SKY :)

With the new hazadrous oceans of Kopernicus I imagine another moon for Syterion, something like Io, with lakes of molten lava. somewhere with high tidal forces, so probably closer to Syterion than Eeloo.

@Squiggsy: Yes Atmosphere still ends at 70km, because of low Orbit and other reasons(mentioned it in this thread before)

@SanderB: Yeah I know, still have to look into that if it can be fixed somehow. Otherwise just pretend the Belt is now somewhere else. (It wouldn't be at Dres anyways, since Dres is an Iapetus-Analouge now.)

I'll hopefully have some more time for KSP again in a few weeks.

Cheers

I've been meaning to get into resized KSP mods and I've been drawn to this one for two reasons...

1) It appears to be the only one with a [1.02] tag out of the bunch. I'm guessing that means it's ready to go with the latest version? If so, how stable is it?

2) The last time I tried RSS (I think it was set at the default of x10) things did NOT go well in career mode. I was able to get a few altitude and distance records, but orbit was pretty much impossible. Even in sandbox mode it was surprisingly difficult to get into orbit. I'm not afraid to admit that I am too noob to play with x10 rescale. So... this seems like a nicer step down. I do wonder though, is this meant to be played with extra parts-packs like B9? Or can I play a normal career mode with only the stock parts?

I've been meaning to get into resized KSP mods and I've been drawn to this one for two reasons...

1) It appears to be the only one with a [1.02] tag out of the bunch. I'm guessing that means it's ready to go with the latest version? If so, how stable is it?

2) The last time I tried RSS (I think it was set at the default of x10) things did NOT go well in career mode. I was able to get a few altitude and distance records, but orbit was pretty much impossible. Even in sandbox mode it was surprisingly difficult to get into orbit. I'm not afraid to admit that I am too noob to play with x10 rescale. So... this seems like a nicer step down. I do wonder though, is this meant to be played with extra parts-packs like B9? Or can I play a normal career mode with only the stock parts?

1) It works, but I wouldn't use it in career. There are still some quirks with contracts and balance in general (especially for money). I would recommend to play it in sandbox. This mod is a lot of fun.

2) Get mods that have more powerful engines (like cryogenic engines and HGR 1.875m parts) and get KER if you don't have it already. Be prepared build giant rockets that have real world dimensions. Don't be afraid of very tall rockets, just add tanks until you have just enough TWR to lift-off (~1.3 atmospheric TWR works best for me). If you are short of delta v, add tanks/stages until you reach your desired delta v budget then add boosters to reach 1.3 launch TWR. Remember to use boosters for TWR and not delta v. Launch and do a gravity turn. Everything else should work like stock.

Edit: TRW is actually TWR (Thrust-to-Weight ratio). Sorry for anyone confused. I always have problem with the letter order in acronyms. Thank you monstah for pointing it out.

Edited by pacbard

great mod! will always use it. oh god the view from kerbin orbit is amazing! I have nothing to be jealous from RSS anymore. any lens flare or sunflare ? this mod really killed the one I was using. since things are bigger and the sun looks so small we need a nice big sun flare/lens flare.

one problem though guys... aircraft can take off just fine but if they dare come back for landing they explode a hundred meters before the runway. whats up with that?removing for now.

Edited by techstepman

1) It works, but I wouldn't use it in career. There are still some quirks with contracts and balance in general (especially for money). I would recommend to play it in sandbox. This mod is a lot of fun.

2) Get mods that have more powerful engines (like cryogenic engines and HGR 1.875m parts) and get KER if you don't have it already. Be prepared build giant rockets that have real world dimensions. Don't be afraid of very tall rockets, just add tanks until you have just enough TRW to lift-off (~1.3 atmospheric TRW works best for me). If you are short of delta v, add tanks/stages until you reach your desired delta v budget then add boosters to reach 1.3 launch TRW. Remember to use boosters for TRW and not delta v. Launch and do a gravity turn. Everything else should work like stock.

I found the cryogenic engines to be not that useful to be honest unless it's a really large ship or a tiny upper stage, it's usually better to just use liquid fuel engines. You can play this config in career, just set the contract payouts and science payouts to 150 to 160% or so and it's playable.

great mod! will always use it. oh god the view from kerbin orbit is amazing! I have nothing to be jealous from RSS anymore. any lens flare or sunflare ? this mod really killed the one I was using. since things are bigger and the sun looks so small we need a nice big sun flare/lens flare.

one problem though guys... aircraft can take off just fine but if they dare come back for landing they explode a hundred meters before the runway. whats up with that?removing for now.

Odd I've landed aircraft at both space center locations dozens of times with no issues. I do use NuFar, the only time my aircraft blow up are due to crashes or aero stresses.

So ... my first challenge for myself is to make an SSTO (with the stockalike RealFuels configs, of course). Because why not. Also have FAR installed.

I've determined that the bit out of the atmosphere absolutely HAS to be done by an LV-N; anything else is just too inefficient. The low density of those fuels then means that the SSTO would be very big but not have much mass. Which rather limits the ability to add wings and RCS.

Anyone have any tips?

Edited by Whovian

SkyRex94: Would you be interested in indexing your mod on CKAN? Now both KSC switcher and Kopernicus are in the index, so it will be easier to keep the mod updated for the ones that use CKAN. I already have a CKAN config file in the pipeline, but there is a catch. As of right now, SKY replaces KSC switcher file with its own. CKAN does not allow mods to rewrite files that have been installed by another mod or a user. To fix it, you should include a module manager patch for KSC launch sites in the SKY folder and leave the KSC switch config file as it is in its folder that you bundle with your mod.

I wrote this MM patch and I was able to use it without any problems. Let me know if you are going to add it to the zip file so I can go ahead and add the mod to CKAN.

@KSCSWITCHER
{
!LaunchSites {}

@DefaultSite = KSA
LaunchSites
{
Site
{
name = KSA
displayName = Kerbal Spaceport
description = The Kodiak Launch Complex (KLC) is a commercial rocket launch facility for sub-orbital and orbital space launch vehicles owned and operated by the Alaska Aerospace Corporation, a public corporation of the State of Alaska. The facility is located on Kodiak Island, Alaska. The launch facility has handled 16 launches since it opened in 1998, most of those for the U.S. government.
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = -6.5918
longitude = 118.5425
repositionRadiusOffset = 154
repositionToSphereSurface = false
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
reorientFinalAngle = 107
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 15080
heightMapDeformity = 80
absoluteOffset = 100
absolute = true
latitude = -6.5918
longitude = 118.5425
}
}
Site
{
name = South
displayName = South Launch Complex
description = Wallops Flight Facility, located on the Eastern Shore of Virginia approximately 100 miles north-northeast of Norfolk, is operated by the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, primarily as a rocket launch site to support science and exploration missions for NASA and other Federal agencies. WFF includes an extensively instrumented range to support launches of more than a dozen types of sounding rockets, small expendable suborbital and orbital rockets, high altitude balloon flights carrying scientific instruments for atmospheric and astronomical research andâ€â€using its Research Airportâ€â€flight tests of aeronautical research aircraft including unmanned aerial vehicles. There have been over 16,000 launches from the rocket testing range at Wallops since its founding in 1945 in the quest for information on the flight characteristics of airplanes, launch vehicles, and spacecraft, and to increase the knowledge of the Earth's upper atmosphere and the environment of outer space.
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = -42.4072
longitude = 66.7529
repositionRadiusOffset = 150
repositionToSphereSurface = false
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 4000
heightMapDeformity = 80
absoluteOffset = 100
absolute = true
latitude = -42.4072
longitude = 66.7529
}
}
}
}

For everyone else: How do I get to Minmus? Will it ever come closer to Kerbin or do I just have to fiddle with the burn options until I get an intercept?

Edited by pacbard

Odd I've landed aircraft at both space center locations dozens of times with no issues. I do use NuFar, the only time my aircraft blow up are due to crashes or aero stresses.

I don't use any FAR. I take off, do a 180 and approach to land ... 100/50 meters before the runway, boom. I don't know about the polar airfield. I only used the equatorial one.

I don't use any FAR. I take off, do a 180 and approach to land ... 100/50 meters before the runway, boom. I don't know about the polar airfield. I only used the equatorial one.

As NathanKell said, it's a Kopernicus bug that will get fixed with the next version. Did you also notice that sometimes you also get ground effects about 100 m into a flight? Or that your rocket parts explode when you are coasting to the ground with a parachute open? I suspect it's the same bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.