[1.0.5]SKY - Scale-up Kerbalism for You - Kopernicus Rescale [v2.0]

SkyRex94

So ... I'm planning to do some fairly ambitious things. There's no delta-v map from looking at this thread ... anyone at least know any rules of thumb or, even better, other ways of getting equivalent information?

EDIT: This happened; figured I'd share it for amusement reasons. Yes, those are floating launch clamps.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Whovian

What heading should we use for optimal launch to orbit? I noticed the planet is tilted and am used to launching at 90 degrees in KSP. But since using SKY ive been requiring 7000 m/s delta v to even make orbit with headings in both 45 and 90 degrees after lift off. Any tips?

I'm using stock aero and heating.

And just out of curiosity... what altitude is considered exoatmospheric? Is it 100km? 80km? Basically I'm asking what is the altitude I should be aiming for to achieve MIN orbit in SKY?

Edited by TeeGee

Min orbit's 70 km; the atmosphere heights are unchanged from stock.

I'm probably launching somewhat inefficiently, but I've been starting my gravity turn halfway through the first layer of the atmosphere so I'm 45Ëš from the vertical once I hit the top of the first layer. If the headings are confusing just roll as soon as you launch to orient yourself in the stock manner.

Also I highly suggest turning down your heating since the velocities involved in reentry are much higher than stock. A couple pages back is a link to a Reddit discussion on getting this to play nicely with DRE, or you can just tweak the difficulty settings. Probably just play around a bit until reentry feels more stockish? You might want to install hyperedit for this, at least temporarily.

Edited by Whovian

Min orbit's 70 km; the atmosphere heights are unchanged from stock.

I'm probably launching somewhat inefficiently, but I've been starting my gravity turn halfway through the first layer of the atmosphere so I'm 45Ëš from the vertical once I hit the top of the first layer. If the headings are confusing just roll as soon as you launch to orient yourself in the stock manner.

Also I highly suggest turning down your heating since the velocities involved in reentry are much higher than stock. A couple pages back is a link to a Reddit discussion on getting this to play nicely with DRE, or you can just tweak the difficulty settings. Probably just play around a bit until reentry feels more stockish? You might want to install hyperedit for this, at least temporarily.

So should I be heading at 45 degrees? 90 degrees?

Turn 5-10 degrees at a time until you're at 45Ëš, preferably when you're out of the first layer of atmo. After that, I generally keep turning, but more slowly and in a very sleight-of-hand manner so as to stay ascending at a reasonable rate (otherwise there's a chance of wasting fuel to keep from falling to the ground again).

If I misunderstood I apologize.

What heading should we use for optimal launch to orbit? I noticed the planet is tilted and am used to launching at 90 degrees in KSP. But since using SKY ive been requiring 7000 m/s delta v to even make orbit with headings in both 45 and 90 degrees after lift off. Any tips?

I get ~6000 m/s for orbit. I start the gravity turn when my speed is about 70 m/s, tilt about 5 degrees, then I keep the rocket within the prograde marker (I also use KER and I try to keep my apo 30-40 seconds ahead of me during lunch - it might not be efficient, but gives me a little of margin when the upper stage kicks in with its lower TWR).

For the heading, I spin the rocket around just before starting the gravity turn so that the navball points south and I have East at my right (like it is in stock). I think that turning towards 90 degrees is still the optimal way to go to orbit. However, your orbit will be inclined (~6 degrees if you launch from KSA) because of its latitude (in short, your ground speed will have a west-east and a north-south component depending on your latitude, with the caveat that if you launch from the equator your north-south speed is 0 m/s. You get to keep your ground speed when you get to orbit, so your rocket receives a "free" orbital inclination change equal to your launch latitude).

I get ~6000 m/s for orbit. I start the gravity turn when my speed is about 70 m/s, tilt about 5 degrees, then I keep the rocket within the prograde marker (I also use KER and I try to keep my apo 30-40 seconds ahead of me during lunch - it might not be efficient, but gives me a little of margin when the upper stage kicks in with its lower TWR).

For the heading, I spin the rocket around just before starting the gravity turn so that the navball points south and I have East at my right (like it is in stock). I think that turning towards 90 degrees is still the optimal way to go to orbit. However, your orbit will be inclined (~6 degrees if you launch from KSA) because of its latitude (in short, your ground speed will have a west-east and a north-south component depending on your latitude, with the caveat that if you launch from the equator your north-south speed is 0 m/s. You get to keep your ground speed when you get to orbit, so your rocket receives a "free" orbital inclination change equal to your launch latitude).

Cool! So we turn to a heading of 90 degrees after launch. Ya I noticed that the latitude of the KSC is not equatorial anymore, that means we need to plan our launches according to launch windows; when our space centers are at the same inclination as our target orbit. This is AWESOME!

• 2 weeks later...

How do I get to Minmus? KSPTOT and MechJeb can't calculate a maneuver or plot, and when I try to do it by hand, I wind up with an arrival several years in the future.

How do I get to Minmus? KSPTOT and MechJeb can't calculate a maneuver or plot, and when I try to do it by hand, I wind up with an arrival several years in the future.

Mechjeb calculates it nicely, if you use not porkchop mode, but fixed time of arrival (about 20 days or so).

Hey folks just a little update: Exams are over for now but my holidays are coming up so still not a lot time the coming weeks (And Project Cars needs to be played too...)

So i'm sorry for not being around much lately but I'm very glad to see many people enjoying SKY :)

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a technique to share of how to reach Minmus as a trojan moon. I learned what I know of orbital mechanics from using mechjeb then studying what it chose and examining it's logic. Mechjeb wont work fro the trojan for whatever reason I am assuming because it can not get captured with just 1 burn a la a Hoffman transfer. I imagine I need to get in solar orbit drop my orbital then make a maneuver to get captured, but i wanted to come on here to ask for some insight of any who has done t or would be able to confirm or deny my method would work. Thanks!

Does anyone have a technique to share of how to reach Minmus as a trojan moon. I learned what I know of orbital mechanics from using mechjeb then studying what it chose and examining it's logic. Mechjeb wont work fro the trojan for whatever reason I am assuming because it can not get captured with just 1 burn a la a Hoffman transfer. I imagine I need to get in solar orbit drop my orbital then make a maneuver to get captured, but i wanted to come on here to ask for some insight of any who has done t or would be able to confirm or deny my method would work. Thanks!

As it is behind Kerbin the best way normally worked in leaving Kerbin to behind and out (away from sun) since you need to keep your rough orbital height, and then adjust the encounter in solar orbit.

BUT: I'm preparing SKY 2.0 in the meantime and Minmus will get back to Kerbin for various reasons: The mentioned way is with KSPs tools very unpredictable and not reliable in terms of DeltaV (Although I really liked the trojan moon idea, gameplay wise it just turns into an unvisited Dres). Second is that you can easily misclick the Target your aiming for when coming back to Kerbin as Minmus is so close.

Minmus will become a captured Asteroid around Kerbin in SKY2.0 . eccentric polar Orbit in an 1:1 ressounance with the Mun stabilizing it. So the way to minmus will hopefully still be harder than to the moon, but more predictable than the trojan moon approach.

Cheers

Wow honestly first thought is disappointment it is so incompatible with the previous version :( total unexpected. After that it looks great all fleshed out. This mod could be all you would want in terms of a planet expansion. Congrats on the update. Maybe I'll try it after 1.1 when I can finish this career. Also have you considered a custom star with kopernicus now?

With the risk of sounding like a lazy person (tried reading some pages but couldn't find the information), what is, say, a normal orbit in this mod?

Just tried this mod and so far I like it to death, I only need to figure out how large a-ship I need to get to orbit. :)

EDIT: Just read everything, seems like its just stock atmosphere, so the orbits doesn't really matter (if I'm not totally wrong)

Edited by LaDouche

• 1 month later...

A wonderful mod! I have been messing around with RSS and 64k, but this is my favorite. Really presents the challenges of space flight in our world, but still being able to explore the Kerbal system without excess mods. Currently have a fleet of ion ships out to Duna to put Kerbals there. Haven't had this much fun in a while!

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been trying this and I have just one question.

How do I get down from orbit? Heat sheilds seem to burn up completely before even getting down past 4k m/s.

EDIT: 40% heating seems to work, but I wonder if there's a better alternative.

Edited by Tankman101

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.