It is disapointing that Squad won't work on 64 bit Windows.

The problem is that the issues of 64bit are not those they can solve without changing the unity engine it is built on (which they don't have the man-power or probably permission to do).

They need to wait on Unity to fix some of the 64bit issues before they can even consider releasing stable a 64bit version.

There really isn't much more to say about that, that is fairly disappointing.

totallydone_zpsc9b9b4a4.gif

If you looked around the forums a bit, you will see that it's not on Squad.

Or even the article they just posted.

It's on the developers of Unity. No game that runs on unity has a good 64 bit support. We are all waiting for Unity 5 to enter our screens.

Better than doing that with many bugs, for now, do not do that at all, and focus on game features, and later maybe. As far as game goes on my average gaming computer well, i do not need 64bit release just for feeling that i am using it in 64. I would like to see squad going to this suggestion forum and quickly replying about some usefull ideas over here, to see what will be possible from our opinions..

The whole Windows 64-bit thing was a debacle. It started out with somebody hacking together a 64-bit version, which would have been fine if Squad didn't make an official version. People think 64-bit is some silver bullet, it's not. The time that modders had wasted trying to fix bugs that were 64-bit was a tragedy. If people want to hack together 64-bit, fine, but don't expect support from Squad.

Even more curious is that mono is not supported for win64: http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/supported-platforms/

Unless that is an oversight in that page...

Hm, interesting. That may be the cause of some of the issues. However, couldn't Unity just use .NET for 64-bit Windows? The point of Mono is basically to port .NET to other operating systems; the fact that it's on Windows at all is curious enough to merit an entry in the Mono FAQ (because you can get actual .NET, not just a reimplementation).

The whole Windows 64-bit thing was a debacle. It started out with somebody hacking together a 64-bit version, which would have been fine if Squad didn't make an official version. People think 64-bit is some silver bullet, it's not. The time that modders had wasted trying to fix bugs that were 64-bit was a tragedy. If people want to hack together 64-bit, fine, but don't expect support from Squad.

Not to mention the time Squad themselves have wasted on trying to fix 64bit, rather than updating the game that actually works.

I'm glad they made the right call. 64bit is a broken mess until the problems on Unity's side get fixed

Squad can't work on Windows x64, it either works or it doesn't, and for too many people it doesn't.

Unity4x is mainly a 32bit environment with some experimental x64 support, and with Unity releasing 5 it's not likely they will ever fix the limitations of 4.

Unity5 at least has a 64bit editor and debugging tools so even seeing a bug should become possible, though there's still no guarantee of fixing it.

Plus any move from 4 to 5 is bound to introduce new issues, not just for Squad but for any current Unity4 user upgrading their project to 5.

We'll don't have much choice but to wait and see.

So it's not really disappointing that "Squad won't work on 64 bit Windows", to use a car analogy it's unfortunate that Squads car has an engine that's fine in one gear, broken in another, but all the tools to fix that gear are only available in the next model.

There really isn't much more to say about that, that is fairly disappointing.

I just want to make sure this is clear. KSP will still work fine when your computer is a 64-bit operating system. But it will run as a 32 bit program. 64-bit allows greater memory to be used before crashing. 64-bit computers will work fine with 32-bit KSP. They'd be stupid to somehow mess that up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the longest time Squad maintained that they couldn't get the 64 bit version to work. Then someone came along who hacked a 64 bit version together, basically saying "see? I can get a 64 bit version together, why don't you?"

A little while after that Squad released the 64 bit version together with disclaimers like Caveat Emptor and Here be Krakens and emphasizing that a lot of the instability was due to parts (Unity) outside their control. But hey, community, you wanted it, so here is it. Have fun.

If there's little sympathy within Squad regarding the 64 bit version then I cannot blame them for that. We told you it wouldn't work. You wanted it anyway. Here it is. And it doesn't work. Happy now?. I'd rather see them work on real issues like better aerodynamics, improved landing legs and female Kerbals, than on trying to fix the unity engine that isn't theirs to fix.

It is disapointing that Squad won't work on 64 bit Windows.
Actually, no, it's not disappointing at all, it's refreshing that they're willing to pull a completely buggy product off the shelves.

KSP 64 bit will NEVER work right before Unity 5 is out. PERIOD.... And even early versions of Unity 5 are likely to still retain atleast a few x64 bugs that will prevent Squad from flipping the switch again.

Use a mod manager. Multiple installs or whatever you can to manage until that day.

what a good excuse unity is :) unity 4 supports perfect 64bit and using vector3d instead of vector3 would solve most of the preciosity problems. except what squad messes up :) unity 5 will not solve anything because the problem is on squads side

what a good excuse unity is :) unity 4 supports perfect 64bit and using vector3d instead of vector3 would solve most of the preciosity problems. except what squad messes up :) unity 5 will not solve anything because the problem is on squads side

Not saying that is implausible, but the KSP wiki states the game does use mostly vector3d. Then again maybe it is those instances where it uses vector3 that causes the problems with 64 bit.

If Vector3 doesn't work right on win64, then Unity 4 does *not* support perfect 64-bit. You also can't avoid using Vector3 in Unity; Unity has no such thing as a Vector3d. Unity has Vector3, which is part of the underlying language spec; while the .NET libraries do have a Vector3D (note capital "D"), that's just for WPF stuff, and KSP's Vector3d is Squad's own creation. Any call to Unity functions must use Vector3.

If Vector3 doesn't work right on win64, then Unity 4 does *not* support perfect 64-bit. You also can't avoid using Vector3 in Unity; Unity has no such thing as a Vector3d. Unity has Vector3, which is part of the underlying language spec; while the .NET libraries do have a Vector3D (note capital "D"), that's just for WPF stuff, and KSP's Vector3d is Squad's own creation. Any call to Unity functions must use Vector3.

the problem is m8 that u mix the parts in front and after the "and" in my sentence... nobody said that vector3 has anything to do with 64bit... those are 2 separate things (except that using 64bit build support cpu level doubles). and yes, u can call unity with float only but they could do every calculations with doubles however most of their functions like COM or other range sensitive stuff are using floats though they should use it only for local space calculations

Then tell me.. Why is it taking all the way to Unity 5 for them to have a 64 bit editor?

Ted threw up an article as of late basically announcing that Squad is discontinuing the release of Windows 64 bit until it is actually stable and debuggable, which means we probably won't see it again until Unity 5 at the earliest.

Now, a lot of the heavy mod users out there (such as myself) have come to know and love 64 bit, particularly if our version was in fact remarkably stable (as mine was with 0.25). Question must be asked then: Who is freezing their version to retain 64 bit? To clarify, the term version freezing in this context is referring to not updating your game so as to retain something not available in later versions.

I'm just curious as to how many people out there are actually willing to forego all the improvements of '1.0' because they want 64 bit more, regardless of the instability.

This is not a thread for discussing 64 bit in general, however you are welcome to discuss opinions on Squad's decision to not release it as long as you don't let it get overly hostile.

(There was supposed to be a poll but my browser glitched out and it didn't happen, so thats out of the question. I may make one on another website and link it here for purposes of stat tracking.)

Edited by Captain Sierra
poll probs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.