My Revamped SSTO Design/ Questions [BIG PICTURES]

Hey there! I created a new design off a previous SSTO I had created (I use the term SSTO loosely since it's never made it into orbit). I always have the same issue!

It's a very heavy plane, so the velocity during take-off is quite low, and decreases slightly as I raise my prograde vector. Here are some pictures of the ascent, and the design.

Kaos8ni.png

4jnDgV0.png

XBc83yT.png

Q4oP2n2.png

2mk8k9v.png

And now at 12 km.

Gqk4df2.png

17km.

5txqf01.png

20 km.

xgbi7xP.png

23 km. This is almost the maximum height and speed. I get it to about 1350 m/s, and 24.5km high. At this point it seems to drop off and my prograde vector begins to fall dispite pitching all the way up.

eSJZOJQ.png

Not enough lift? Not enough speed? Any suggestions!?

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to get it into space so I can dock/refuel with my space station, then head off to [insert celestial body here].

Edited by Fryer Mike

I don't have NEAR or FAR, don't know what those are ahaha. Stock aero I suppose.

What version of KSP are you running because that is an old looking UI.

But just FYI, B9 parts are designed for use in Ferram Aerospace Research (FAR), which is an aerodynamic overhaul of the stock aerodynamic system so that it is more realistic and less craptastic.

The B9 parts often have odd behavior with stock aero in game because of this fact.

Last time I checked B9 prevents you from reaching insane speeds on jets alone. I believe they don`t give any thrust past 1500 m/s or so. All you could do then is increase lift to reach higher altitudes with the same speed. You won`t be able to go to 40km at orbital speeds on jets like some stock craft do.

Also just so you know B9 doesn`t support stock aerodynamics officially, they recommend to always use FAR or NEAR.

Seemed to work. Although it burns through much more liquid fuel this way. Thanks! I added 6 more divertless intakes and exchanged the poodle with the Maverick-V. I'm not sure what version it is, I think it's .9 or something. It's my roommate's computer so you'd have to ask him ha!

I might consider getting FAR or NEAR. I don't trust mods too much anymore though, because some of the parts don't even work. Some of them include the bay door from B9, and mechjeb... as well as all of the wheels from B9.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, how do I change the thread from 'unanswered' to 'answered'?

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, I got it!

Seemed to work. Although it burns through much more liquid fuel this way. Thanks! I added 6 more divertless intakes and exchanged the poodle with the Maverick-V. I'm not sure what version it is, I think it's .9 or something. It's my roommate's computer so you'd have to ask him ha!

I might consider getting FAR or NEAR. I don't trust mods too much anymore though, because some of the parts don't even work. Some of them include the bay door from B9, and mechjeb... as well as all of the wheels from B9.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, how do I change the thread from 'unanswered' to 'answered'?

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, I got it!

Those dont work because you dont have the firespitter plugin installed. You need to have the newest version of Firespitter.dll installed for the cargobays, landing gear, and intakes to work from B9. If you read the installation instructions you would know this.

I do have firespitter, perhaps not the newest version though. In the newest version do the propellers actually spin?

In short, yes.

Firespitter.dll isnt the mod Firespitter, it is just the .dll which is the file that controls the animations for that plugin and many others.

Usually if your plane can't hold its attitude despite being fully pitched in stock aero, it's a symptom of insufficient pitch authority. I'd also question the amount of lift being generated; I don't know enough about the B9 mod to say one way or another. I do know that the latest version of the B9 mod requires one of the advanced aerodynamic models, which may be the source of the troubles you're having.

Our of curiosity, how massive is that plane?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.