Is KSP dying?

bartekkru99

Lately, I've noticed, that KSP community is getting smaller and smaller. There isn't nearly half as much blog post as a year ago, there were times when you could see over 10 blog enties a day now, there's one for two days... Even on mot popular mod threads, people are posting in few hour spaces... And the question is: is Kerbal Space Program dying, is it burning out slowly? I love this game and I don't want it to die...

It's sadly true- i think the community's growing farther apart. The problem is as old people become inactive or stop interacting, new ones don't actually replace them, and new friendships don't form as fast as old ones did. I still remember some of the first people I met on the KSP forums back in 2012, and most of them are gone now. Even some of the later Rocket Builders (i'm going to talk about that because I spend so much time there) people I knew are gone - SegaProphet's only semi-active, and hardly in RB, and people just create new companies that die off quickly due to the fact that there are so many. I remember when the RB was famous - when things were built together, and people really cared about being part of a "company".

Now, KSP is a game with more in-game features and less need to go out and interact - I think with the addition of multiplayer the Forums will begin to die off quite rapidly, because no one will need to communicate outside of KSP itself. Back in the day there were only a few strange mods, and we all hunkered together to survive the storms of KPS - to figure out new things. I remember when docking was being debated, and how hard it was. I remember when Space Stations didn't exist - no one built them. I think the closest we got were fuel stations. Now, we've so much stuff in-game the only thing people go to for in the forums is help understanding it all. No one wants RB craft, they hardly care about mods past downloading them, and let's play videos are boring to many people just because KSP is a hands - on game, and it's hard to make long transfer burns exciting for people.

KSP is a great game - in fact it's so great its killing its own community.

(This is my opinion, my view, feel free to disagree).

It's sadly true- i think the community's growing farther apart. The problem is as old people become inactive or stop interacting, new ones don't actually replace them, and new friendships don't form as fast as old ones did. I still remember some of the first people I met on the KSP forums back in 2012, and most of them are gone now. Even some of the later Rocket Builders (i'm going to talk about that because I spend so much time there) people I knew are gone - SegaProphet's only semi-active, and hardly in RB, and people just create new companies that die off quickly due to the fact that there are so many. I remember when the RB was famous - when things were built together, and people really cared about being part of a "company".

Now, KSP is a game with more in-game features and less need to go out and interact - I think with the addition of multiplayer the Forums will begin to die off quite rapidly, because no one will need to communicate outside of KSP itself. Back in the day there were only a few strange mods, and we all hunkered together to survive the storms of KPS - to figure out new things. I remember when docking was being debated, and how hard it was. I remember when Space Stations didn't exist - no one built them. I think the closest we got were fuel stations. Now, we've so much stuff in-game the only thing people go to for in the forums is help understanding it all. No one wants RB craft, they hardly care about mods past downloading them, and let's play videos are boring to many people just because KSP is a hands - on game, and it's hard to make long transfer burns exciting for people.

Zekes, sadly I cannot disagree with you. I think that it was the similar story with minecraft. When the game was in alpha and nobody has really played it, there was a great deal of mods and texture packs. Now... you know yourselves, I guess... DayZ is also another good example. KSP's community was very good, because of the overal 'nerdiness' of the community.

KSP is becoming mainstream. That's what happens if your game is too damn good. I'm afraid that those who were posting on forums have their ideas already burned out, so they're no longer playing KSP - ergo not posting on forums. I see that on myself.

However, I don't think that the community will die out entirely. There will always be a band of nerds who will maintain the science!

It's like a rocket that is so magnificent it blows up the launchpad.

Anyway, I completely agree with this.

Wait to release.

I have another EA game that released on Friday, The community population skyrocketed and the forum went from 3-4 post a day to over 100 post in a day.

I game like KSP is likely inspire people to create mods, look for advice, share designs, the forum on Steam and here will become more lively. The activivty will start to dwindle as the game ages like any other game but there will remain a group of diehard fans.

Wait to release.

I have another EA game that released on Friday, The community population skyrocketed and the forum went from 3-4 post a day to over 100 post in a day.

I game like KSP is likely inspire people to create mods, look for advice, share designs, the forum on Steam and here will become more lively. The activivty will start to dwindle as the game ages like any other game but there will remain a group of diehard fans.

Well that's the strange thing - KSP is getting more popular now (it's the +1 Linux game on Steam), and yet the community's growing apart.

I think that KSP has the best community ever. No one is ofending anyone. There's no religious hate, which we can see under every YT video with above 1.000.000 views. People help eachother, No one steals ideas from other people, like in case of Little Big Planet, where after showing off my fighter jet or mech walker I had to kick someone after few seconds, because he was trying to use save tool on it. And finally no KSP Youtuber is treated like a god and guarded by an army of angry fanboys, that insult you after say something about him.

It's sadly true- i think the community's growing farther apart. The problem is as old people become inactive or stop interacting, new ones don't actually replace them, and new friendships don't form as fast as old ones did. I still remember some of the first people I met on the KSP forums back in 2012, and most of them are gone now.

As one of those earlier interactions of yours, some of us are still here, but we've run out of things to say. We're still playing the game (in my case, more than ever - thanks largely to RSS/RO) but... What can we really add?

"Hey, I'm on my 29th playthrough of a career mode with hard settings plus realism overhaul, and I just built a space station" doesn't really help build the community. Answering questions helps, but half the time, someone's already answered by the time I see the question - or the person asking has already figured it out. I've thought about writing a guide or two for those who don't want to watch video guides... but I only play RSS at this point and my guides would be less accurate and less clear than some of the better communicators.

In general, every so often I have something I think is worth posting in "what did you do today in KSP" or another of the ongoing threads; I also take part in reddit discussions on /r/Kerbalacademy and /r/realsolarsystem when I feel like I actually have something worthwhile to offer. We're long past the earlier days when the game was limited enough that the "community space program" take-turns-playing thread we had was a workable form of multiplayer, and most challenge options have been done to death - so we're reaching the end of the community being the primary source of "game content". That's very different from the end of the community, or of the game.

One thing that I think could improve the community, though, is a clean wipe of the challenges forum. New challenges (or fresh starts on old ones) for people to attempt/re-do could do wonders for long-term replay value and community involvement. Most challenges will be worlds different anyway once 1.0 redoes the drag and lift side of things.

How many people are on the forums is not related to how many people play ksp. I've gotten 6 friends to buy the game (and we all play it very often) but none of them have a forum account (yet).

I have to agree with this. I know for myself I play more than I post, I am not overly fond of forums to begin with due to past experiences. There will be some who play the game that may never come to the forums, or just come to get help with a problem that is not cleared up in videos. Judging a game based on the number of people active on a forum is like looking at downloads for a mod to see how popular it is, neither is a good way to judge how good or popular something is based one those numbers.

For myself, interest in the forums waned when certain people joined who seemed to post only to tell other people that what they were posting was wrong or to answer questions in tutorials etc to gain rep.

It`s like people were gaming the forum iinstead of playing the game and that ruined my enjoyment of the game itself.

Also, it seems squad consistently fail to implement the best ideas when they release updates and instead go for bland mediocre middle ground to avoid controversy...

Writing this it seems like just a moan but it is how I feel.

So much promise, a wonder splendid, through a desire for peace, utterly ended.

KSP is definitely not dying. You're talking about community and blog post, let me tell you something. Years ago when this game was first picking up heat, the developers were probably more pro-active in the advertising front. now that this game is popular, they don't have to do quite as much to keep it rolling including writing on blogs.

Also, the game is not even officially "finished" yet, it just entered the beta stage. When it gets released as a full game, prepare for a massive surge of new players and interest in the game, they will probably do some advertising to promote the full release as "Steam" will probably even feature it as a full release.

And lastly, this game, honestly these forums are more pro-active than some full retail video games, one big one being Crysis 3. I loved that game, but it's online community (especially on PC) is pathetically small these days that it's kind of not even worth playing anymore.