[0.90] Titan Engine (BFE-5000 Unofficial Successor) v1.0.1

Norpo

pUF0feQ.png

Inspired by the old BFE-5000, this adds a giant engine. REALLY giant. It's not intended for balanced play (though some config edits could change that for sure), and instead for having fun with a giant engine. If "sortakinda balanced but not really" is still TOO balanced, it comes with a cheater config that makes it absurdly light. Have fun! (In other words, it's intended for SANDBOX use, and not career or other "serious business" saves.)

For those not in the know, the BFE-5000 was an old, giant engine mod, but now cannot be redistributed due to the lack of a permissive license. Video of the original BFE here:

This is designed to bring back a giant engine, for those playing today. And, should anything happen to me, the CC BY 4.0 license allows people to redistribute and do whatever they want with it, as long as credit is given to me. :D

TweakScale compatible, default plate connector is 3.75m, but can scale from 1.25m to 10m.

Licensed under CC BY 4.0.

I'd like to thank FlixxBeatz for making a mod request resulting in this mod being made.

Imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/eUc63 (I forgot how to embed, i'll figure that out XD)

Download at KerbalStuff: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/570/Titan%20Engine

Known bug: When in ocean, it just sinks (even though other engines don't) No idea why. Well, I suppose it's also useful as an improvised anchor?

Here's an example album of RAINCRAFTER's, showing just how overpowered the optional "Cheater" config for the engine is. :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And Flixxbeatz made a video showcasing it, no words required, just a giant engine. :D

I'd like to stress the fact that I love seeing what other people do with mods, so if you have any screenshots, videos, or anything else, feel free to share it here! Unless of course it'd take precious KSP playing time. :D

2854372-0891094734-MAmI2.jpg

EDIT: Apparently the original creator of the BFE-5000 updated it to work with the recent versions of KSP. Someone told me about this, and apparently he only shared it in one forum post. While the post is old-ish it should in theory still work: the post is here.

Edited by Norpo

Hm, there seems to be a TweakScale error. I'll try to fix it, but everything else should work OK.

EDIT: Should be fixed. Emphasis on SHOULD. (To be clear, version 1.0.1 fixed this)

Edited by Norpo

Here's an album of me messing with a craft consisting of the smallest probe core in stock and the cheater engine, and infinite fuel.

EDIT: Also, this is just my opinion, but this should be called the "BFE-9001 'Hercules Titan' Rocket Engine" as a reference to the original engine and the over 9000 meme.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by RAINCRAFTER

EDIT: Also, this is just my opinion, but this should be called the "BFE-9001 'Hercules Titan' Rocket Engine" as a reference to the original engine and the over 9000 meme.

Yeah, the name isn't set in stone. I think I might change it next release, whenever that is. Mainly just a placeholder for now (though "Titan" can't really be changed, as it's the name of the mod)

Known bug: When in ocean, it just sinks (even though other engines don't) No idea why. Well, I suppose it's also useful as an improvised anchor?

Not considered a bug for me :D the original BFE-5000 is just as indestructible as hell.

Thanks for making this happen!

The time has come...

daedalus_new_complete_1l.jpg

I wonder how many Kerbals you could fit in that thing, unless there are colliders at the nozzle... :P

There are colliders at the nozzle, sorry. I thought about that too, but making it so things could go inside the nozzle caused... problems

(It fell through the launchpad)

Pictures!

Explosions, those are always nice. :D

Thanks for imbeding my album!

No problem!

Vid from my preliminary work on interstellar crafts. Total of EIGHT 3.75m standard-size tanks used.

Oooh. First time I've seen it used without turning on infinite fuel :D

I think the stats for the default are just 7 Kerbodyne Advanced engines compressed, with 10x the cost. The cheater engine is just one tenth of that, and 10x the thrust (So cheater is around 0.7x the mass of the advanced engine and 70x the thrust)

So in theory, if it can fly with 7 kerbodyne advanced engines, it can fly with 1 Titan engine.

In any case, your video is on the original post, and also in the KerbalStuff mod page.

EDIT: Also, I discovered the hard way, if you tweakscale the engine to 10m, the engine, no matter how softly you land it, will blow up the launchpad.

Edited by Norpo

Needs more fire.

Yeah, i'm gonna release an aesthetics patch soon; I think I might be figure out how to add more flames... While i'm at it i'll fix a collider bug (there's a big gap between the nozzle and the connector plate)

Then maybe some slight detailing elsewhere, etc. Nothing huge, just to make it look nicer.

TweakScale adds more or less flames according to how big it is; so i'm going to GUESS there's a "scale fx" function somewhere. I'd rather not add a crudton of plumes, no idea how that would affect FPS, and people seem to love sticking them in the dozens to rockets... After that i'd say the engine is pretty much complete and wouldn't need anymore updates.

Also, if it looks alright, i'll try to get gimballing working for the engine bell; though i'm afraid it might just look jumpy and erratic.

In other words, it's not quite done yet, but it's in a usable state, for sure. Just needs more fire :D