[1.0.4] Munar Industries - Modular Fuel Tank Expansion (BETA)

Munar Industries

My little contribution, textures converted to DDS format.

Orginal mbm 64,7 MB (67.895.816 bytes)

Converted dds 19,5 MB (20.451.160 bytes)

Link to Google Drive - Only for next 48h.

>>> Remember to remove the old textures (*.mbm), they have the same names as those converted to a DDS format) <<<

@Munar Industries

Please use them in the next update. (or not, your will)

Excellent. You saved me the trouble of doing this tonight.

>>> I Know. Not my 1st rodeo. <<< ;)

Of course I will use them. No sense redoing work.

Cheers!

Seriously though, thanks for this. I just wanted to push out a version since everyone had been waiting for so long. :)

Edited by Munar Industries

Excellent. You saved me the trouble of doing this tonight.

>>> I Know. Not my 1st rodeo. <<< ;)

Of course I will use them. No sense redoing work.

Cheers!

Seriously though, thanks for this. I just wanted to push out a version since everyone had been waiting for so long. :)

lol... thanks to you all... now, I too, don't have to do it.

Nice work, really great looking tanks. Kinda odd, but the most useful for me turned out to be the medium and large toroidal ones, as well as the small radial which I kinda abuse as radial engine mounts, gives great flexibility with lander design.

Now for some feedback, I think the mass for the MK3 radial tanks could be lowered a bit, I know MK3 parts are supposed to be heavy, but I feel they offer not really enough fuel for the mass they have, especially the end pieces.

The MK3 radial extenders also are not working well with the symmetry tool, I haven't yet found a way to get around having to manually place them on both sides, which in turn breaks wing placement on them with the symmetry tool. Not a deal breaker though, just a minor nuisance.

Nice work, really great looking tanks. Kinda odd, but the most useful for me turned out to be the medium and large toroidal ones, as well as the small radial which I kinda abuse as radial engine mounts, gives great flexibility with lander design.

Now for some feedback, I think the mass for the MK3 radial tanks could be lowered a bit, I know MK3 parts are supposed to be heavy, but I feel they offer not really enough fuel for the mass they have, especially the end pieces.

The MK3 radial extenders also are not working well with the symmetry tool, I haven't yet found a way to get around having to manually place them on both sides, which in turn breaks wing placement on them with the symmetry tool. Not a deal breaker though, just a minor nuisance.

Good point about the fuel in the radial tanks. I'll review it further and scale things better in the next version.

I think that improper mirroring is a failing of the editor. Try going into mirror mode and place a Terrier. You will notice that they aren't actually mirrored.

Possibly I'm missing something, but it looks like it happens to stock as well.

Thanks for the heads up!

OK... I found a new issue while rebalancing the radial tanks. A lot of Mk3 parts don't have FSFuelSwitch configs on the version in the Extras folder. I'm fixing it now.

BTW- The large radial tanks are going to get a significant buff.

EDIT: HA! Forgot there are LF & LFO versions of those parts in stock as it is. Derp.

So just the Radial tank buff. There is no omission in the original config.

Does anybody notice incorrect symmetry for radial tanks?

http://i.imgur.com/034VjGf.jpg

I think that improper mirroring is a failing of the editor. Try going into mirror mode and place a Terrier. You will notice that they aren't actually "mirrored".

Seems to happen on all parts when they are attached this way. Most of them are radially symmetrical so for the majority it doesn't matter.

Possibly I'm missing something, but it looks like it happens to stock as well.

It annoys the crap out of me too frankly. The only reason I can see they left it like that, is text. It would be backwards on the mirrored part if it actually mirrored.

Look at any part with a symmetrical shape, but a non-symmetrical texture, when using mirrored. You will notice that it "mirrors" by radially flipping the part.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a problem where the tanks will always revert back to the default liq/ox setup whenever the ship is loaded to the VAB or the launch pad. I'm not sure if this is related to the mod or another mod interfering with it, but the only time I can get liquid or ox only tanks is by manually adjusting the slider, which obviously won't match the capacity of an only-liquid/oxygen tank.

Anybody else having this kind of issue?

I'm having a problem where the tanks will always revert back to the default liq/ox setup whenever the ship is loaded to the VAB or the launch pad. I'm not sure if this is related to the mod or another mod interfering with it, but the only time I can get liquid or ox only tanks is by manually adjusting the slider, which obviously won't match the capacity of an only-liquid/oxygen tank.

Anybody else having this kind of issue?

I believe this is an issue with FSFuelSwitch. I have been thinking about switching to InterstellarFuelswitch instead.

When I finally get the TweakScale stuff done I will probably switch to it.

The author,FreeThinker, says he eliminated the persistence problem and that it provides better compatibility with TweakScale.

Cheers.

Cool! Now how about getting to work on your other Mod --- MI - Station Science Reskin. Please! I love these mods!!!!!!! the Station Science mod was awesome as It added some great things that are greatly lacking in the Vanilla game. Thank You for making a retired disabled VET's live a little less stagnant!

[1.0.2] Munar Industries - Fuel Tank Expansion (BETA v0.92)

A collection of 52 modular parts designed to allow for greater flexibility in craft configuration.

This addon supports FSfuelswitch and it is included. I highly recommend using it, as it pretty much doubles your options.

For more info about FSfuelswitch please refer to the Firespitter thread.

(If you want to use FSfuelswitch with all your stock tanks see the ReadMe.txt in the Extras folder.)

CrossFeedEnabler is also supported on all radial tanks.

For more information about it see the CrossFeedEnabler thread.

This addon also uses ModuleManager and includes the latest DLL.

For more info regarding ModuleManager please refer to the ModuleManager thread.

http://i.imgur.com/fdViGR3.jpg

Installation:

Extract to wherever and drop the GameData folder on top of (not into) the \Kerbal Space Program\GameData folder.

Agree to relevant overwrites. Please check your dates when overwriting. Favor the latest version whenever possible.

If upgrading from 0.90 remove the entire Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MunarIndustries\Parts\FuelTank directory.

Then drop the GameData folder in your Kerbal Space Program folder and overwrite GameData and all subfolders and files as usual.

Recent Changes:

0.92 -- Large Radial Tanks rebalanced to make more sense. As a result they received significant buffs.

0.91 -- Textures converted to .dds. Thanks To InsanePlumber for taking the compression task off my hands.

0.90 -- Five Meter Tanks added

Be Aware:

This is Beta v0.92 and is subject to any sort of change before v1.0 Gold. The target for Gold is the day we are done tuning and bug free. :wink:

I'll try my best not to change the part dimensions or attach points. However, broken stuff is broken stuff, so please be careful about backing up things as you switch to newer versions.

Planned Changes:

1) Up-res 5m Tank texture. (Seriously, it needs it)

2) TweakScale support.

3) Adding 3 more tanks to fill a few gaps in the set. (I will post details later in this thread)

4) FSFuelSwitch settings for the pressurized gas tanks. To allow for switching between Xenon, Argon, etc.

5) Further texture upgrades. The current version features 1st pass textures and there are a few errors here and there.

6) Optimization. There is further optimization possible and I intend to do it... for obvious reasons.

7) Mk3 cargo bay replacement parts to allow the doors to clear the large radial nacelle parts without colliding.

Reporting Bugs:

When you find a bug, and I'm certain some of you will, please remember to post the part name along with any relevant screen shots.

Download:

Kerbal Stuff

Dropbox

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Still Have Questions?:

Kottabos has done a pretty decent video review of the all the parts. Check his channel out and subscribe!

Special thanks to SQUAD for taking their time and having the courage to go it alone.

I don't even want think about what sort of PoS we would have instead if a major publisher had gotten involved.

Cheers!

-Munar Industries

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are MM patches to add support for TweakScale and Modular Fuel Tanks.

Download. TweakScale patch.

Download Modular Fuel Tanks patch. Note that this patch will REMOVE Firespitter fuel switching support. There really is no point on using them both, though i think they wouldn't clash.

Free to use/modify by anyone. I hope both of above patches make it in official release of this part pack. I'm still trying to perfect the support for alternative fuel setups so users can choose between MFT or FS.

Edited by fatcargo

Is anyone able to get FSfuelswitch to work recently?

Nothing leaves the VAB/SPH for me with anything but default settings. This has been true for me for the last few versions.

I kept thinking it might get repaired due to the ubiquity of it, and have been reluctant to do away with it.

I think the only solution will be to switch over to InterstellarFuelSwitch.

The persistence problem is apparently nonexistent with it.

Anyone, have any objections to this?

Thanks

-Munar Industries

I'm sure my vote wouldn't count as much since i use my MFT mod, but if InterstellarFuelSwitch has better development activity than FSFuelSwitch - go for it. Having to rely on 3rd party mods without regular development was a near show-stopper for several other addons/packs (look at B9 Aerospace).

I think the only solution will be to switch over to InterstellarFuelSwitch.

The persistence problem is apparently nonexistent with it.

I'm using your mod, and I've simply removed your FSFuelSwitch patch in favour of a global InterstellarFuelSwitch patch that applies to any and all LF/O tanks. Works a treat.

So no, no objections at all :)

My humble suggestion would be optional support - if IFS is installed, patch your tanks. Otherwise leave them stock-like. I take it these will operate like stock tanks if no fuel switcher is present?

Edited by steve_v

I'm using your mod, and I've simply removed your FSFuelSwitch patch in favour of a global InterstellarFuelSwitch patch that applies to any and all LF/O tanks. Works a treat.

So no, no objections at all :)

My humble suggestion would be optional support - if IFS is installed, patch your tanks. Otherwise leave them stock-like. I take it these will operate like stock tanks if no fuel switcher is present?

Yes. I would just edit the patch files to say InterstellarFuelSwitch where it now says FSFuelSwitch. ( I am currently doing this and can find no bugs.)

I like having it in a patch file so people who might not wish to use it can just dump it w/o having to edit a bunch of config files.

There would be no change in current functionality. I just won't have all the Tweakscale values in there until I finish adding the support for that.

Yes, Tweakscale support is coming as well as a couple other tanks to fill a few gaps. Soon we can close out this mod except for bugs and aesthetic fixes.

Then I can move on to the the new command pods I have been working on in secret :)

I know I said I would do Structural next. That is still coming. It's just that the new pods are really needed in my humble opinion.

Cheers!

Hello, love your mod, some really useful shapes you've made....however...:blush:

I would like to give some constructive criticism based on your fuel amounts versus volume if you don't mind. I have great difficulty using your mod as is because of your 'unrealistic' fuel amounts based off your fuel tank volumes compared to the stock Squad fuel tanks. I'll give you some mathematical examples to illustrate my point.

I've compared the height of both the Rockomax X-200-16 and your Munar Industries MI-MA1 shapes based off the 1.25m and 2.5m diameter of the objects. The Rockomax cylinder is approximately 2 meters in height and your MI cone is approximately 1.5 meters. Now your MI-MA1 1.25m to 2.5m Adapter Tank has the same fuel amount as the Squad Rockomax X-200-16 Fuel Tank, LF=720 and Ox=880.

When we look at the cylindrical volume of the Rockomax (V=À * r² * h) we get 3.14*1.25²*2=9.82m3. Looking at your shape, which is a frustum of a cone, we use [V = (1/3) * À * h * (r12 + r22 + (r1 * r2))] to get (1/3)*3.14*1.5*(.6252+1.252+(.6252*1.252)=4.295 m3 .

So the same amount of fuel fitting in a lesser amount of volume (9.82 vs 4.30)? Your shape is roughly 43.79% of the volume of the Rockomax shape. To fit within the realm of plausibility in the Kerbal 'universe', your MI-MA1 Adapter Tank should technically only hold approx. LF=315.3 and Ox=385.4 to fit in the scheme of things.

I didn't look at all of your tanks (I did look at most) but all that I did are out of balance like this.

As it currently stands I cannot use this mod. I hope in the future you take the volume of your shapes into account and rebalance this beautiful mod to better fit within the stock tanks, I would really like to use them. :wink:

• 2 months later...
Hello, love your mod, some really useful shapes you've made....however...:blush:

I would like to give some constructive criticism based on your fuel amounts versus volume if you don't mind. I have great difficulty using your mod as is because of your 'unrealistic' fuel amounts based off your fuel tank volumes compared to the stock Squad fuel tanks. I'll give you some mathematical examples to illustrate my point.

I've compared the height of both the Rockomax X-200-16 and your Munar Industries MI-MA1 shapes based off the 1.25m and 2.5m diameter of the objects. The Rockomax cylinder is approximately 2 meters in height and your MI cone is approximately 1.5 meters. Now your MI-MA1 1.25m to 2.5m Adapter Tank has the same fuel amount as the Squad Rockomax X-200-16 Fuel Tank, LF=720 and Ox=880.

When we look at the cylindrical volume of the Rockomax (V=À * r² * h) we get 3.14*1.25²*2=9.82m3. Looking at your shape, which is a frustum of a cone, we use [V = (1/3) * À * h * (r12 + r22 + (r1 * r2))] to get (1/3)*3.14*1.5*(.6252+1.252+(.6252*1.252)=4.295 m3 .

So the same amount of fuel fitting in a lesser amount of volume (9.82 vs 4.30)? Your shape is roughly 43.79% of the volume of the Rockomax shape. To fit within the realm of plausibility in the Kerbal 'universe', your MI-MA1 Adapter Tank should technically only hold approx. LF=315.3 and Ox=385.4 to fit in the scheme of things.

I didn't look at all of your tanks (I did look at most) but all that I did are out of balance like this.

As it currently stands I cannot use this mod. I hope in the future you take the volume of your shapes into account and rebalance this beautiful mod to better fit within the stock tanks, I would really like to use them. :wink:

Yeah, sorry the amounts are still being adjusted. I had to eyeball them when I first made these in the interest of just getting something out there.

That said, your numbers are a great help. If you feel so inclined, feel free to do calculations for everything, comparing each class of tank to the stock classes.

I will happily implement your results in the mod. I prefer things to be as accurate as possible myself as well. :)

Thanks and great job!

Ok Guys...

Sorry for being away so long. Work sometimes gets the better of me and I just can't get myself to come home and do more work. ;.;

With Siggraph over, I have more time again and will attempt to make a close to final version of this mod.

With that said, there will be an update today sometime that replaces the old FSfuelSwitch with InterstellarFuelSwitch.

I have been testing for a while now and can't find any issues. This should fix the persistence problems we were all encountering.

Again sorry for the delays. Things are going to get rolling again. :)

Cheers!

-Munar Industries

PS - Go see 'The Martian' if you haven't already!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.