[1.2.2] TestFlight - v1.8.0 - 01 May 2017 - Bring Flight Testing to KSP!

Agathorn

Glad to see this mod is a finished reality. This looks really fun! I realize this mod wont work unless I start writing configs for the engines I will be using. Ive looked thru your MM file and saw that I need to add lots of modules? But for instance you list the KW Maverick engine multiple times? Why is that? Could you teach me a bit on how I can write a config to add lets say the RS68 engine? Thanks !

p.s. I will not be using RO , just warning you before you give instructions :)

Glad to see this mod is a finished reality. This looks really fun! I realize this mod wont work unless I start writing configs for the engines I will be using. Ive looked thru your MM file and saw that I need to add lots of modules? But for instance you list the KW Maverick engine multiple times? Why is that? Could you teach me a bit on how I can write a config to add lets say the RS68 engine? Thanks !

p.s. I will not be using RO , just warning you before you give instructions :)

The reason you see the same engine listed multiple times is probably unique to RO. It is because 1. The same engine is often defined for parts in multiple part packs and because 2. One part can be defined using ModuleEngineConfigs (from RealFuels) to define multiple variations of the same engine. Like say the LR-79-3 and the LR-79-5. So you end up with multiple TF configs for the same part, one each to cover the various sub-models of engines.

Assuming you are adding TF to engines that don't do this, then you only need one set of the modules.

The reason you see the same engine listed multiple times is probably unique to RO. It is because 1. The same engine is often defined for parts in multiple part packs and because 2. One part can be defined using ModuleEngineConfigs (from RealFuels) to define multiple variations of the same engine. Like say the LR-79-3 and the LR-79-5. So you end up with multiple TF configs for the same part, one each to cover the various sub-models of engines.

Assuming you are adding TF to engines that don't do this, then you only need one set of the modules.

Okay thanks, that was helpful in that regard. So I just add those 4 modules you talk about on the front page and im all set? What if I want to add all failure types such as explode, reduced throttle, locked gimbal, ect ? Do I re-add the failure module for every instance of fail type I want?

Whats all the jazz about this line? configuration = WAC-Corporal

Edited by lextacy

Okay thanks, that was helpful in that regard. So I just add those 4 modules you talk about on the front page and im all set? What if I want to add all failure types such as explode, reduced throttle, locked gimbal, ect ? Do I re-add the failure module for every instance of fail type I want?

Whats all the jazz about this line? configuration = WAC-Corporal

Yes just add the modules for whichever failures you want. So if you want the Explode failure, you would add the TestFlightFailure_Explode module.

The configuration line is what I was referring to with the engine configs in RealFuels. Each configuration line says basically "only attach this this part if the CURRENT engine configuration matches this"

ok makes sence for the most part, so I can just leave out any line with "configuration" in it? Engine configurations are just "presets" right?

also why do the recorded Data Units reset after each flight? Is there something wrong with the save mechanics? Maybe use kerbal alarm clock style saving so it would work?

Edited by lextacy

ok makes sence for the most part, so I can just leave out any line with "configuration" in it? Engine configurations are just "presets" right?

also why do the recorded Data Units reset after each flight? Is there something wrong with the save mechanics? Maybe use kerbal alarm clock style saving so it would work?

Um it certainly shouldn't be resetting. That kind of defeats the entire purpose of the mod :)

If yours is resetting then something is not working properly. Can you please describe what steps you are taking game when it is resetting? Also if you could turn on debugging the TestFlight settings, and get a log. I have never seen it not record data, as that is pretty central to the mod i'm surprised to hear that.

Hey, just curious, is anyone currently working on a stock game config for this? If so, how far along are you?

I have studied what FlightTest modules expect in the config, and just began to table values about the stock engines to later be translated in a config file. However I'm just at the beginning and can't dedicate too much time in this at the moment. Will probably try to implement just a small subset at the start, starting with those parts available in the beginning in a career game, and progress from there.

I have studied what FlightTest modules expect in the config, and just began to table values about the stock engines to later be translated in a config file. However I'm just at the beginning and can't dedicate too much time in this at the moment. Will probably try to implement just a small subset at the start, starting with those parts available in the beginning in a career game, and progress from there.

Ok, I'll be patient (besides, already near capacity with mods, games starts crashing after every full flight; going to need to find another way to increase the number of mods I can use at any one time)

Ok, I'll be patient (besides, already near capacity with mods, games starts crashing after every full flight; going to need to find another way to increase the number of mods I can use at any one time)

Well the good news is that TestFlight is plugin only, and has no parts of its own so its memory footprint is extremely low.

I saying that more for FAR and NEAR or whatever the stuff that changes Kerbin into Earth is called... but yeah, unless something REALLY bad happens I'll usually add plugins more a often than parts packs. *Just a thought, you might consider integrating the research stuff for parts into the tech tree...as a option, so that you can constantly update the parts over time.*

*(nevermind, thought better of it as soon as I typed it)

I cannot seem to get this to work in Linux. I get menus, but the window is just a little black box that can be moved around the screen with no data. No part option buttons either. Does the flight have to go to orbit in order to collect data? Also the menu says TestFlight is not tracking any vessels.

Edited by Probus

Also the menu says TestFlight is not tracking any vessels.

This is the key right here. It means TestFlight could not find any supported parts on your vessel.

The "little black box with no data" is the FlightHUD which is designed to be compact and displays nothing until such time as a part fails. But in your case you have no supported parts so nothing is going to happen. Please check the list of supported parts in the original post. Are you using one of those? If so, please open the settings in the TestFlight main window, enable DEBUG. Then launch another vessel with the same parts, and post the log for me.

If you are not using one of the currently supported parts, then that would be why it isn't working :) I am working on adding more and more, it just takes times to do the research and write up the configs. Plsu at the moment i've come down with a cold or something so that's slowing me down.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it was all stock plus the ones listed for RP. Excellent, excellent mod. Looking forward to a larger list of supported parts. If you would like me to work a config file for a parts mod for you, just PM me. I am using stock AIES a lot right now. Since the parts aren't real, just let me know a guideline to follow.

Get better.

Probus

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it was all stock plus the ones listed for RP. Excellent, excellent mod. Looking forward to a larger list of supported parts. If you would like me to work a config file for a parts mod for you, just PM me. I am using stock AIES a lot right now. Since the parts aren't real, just let me know a guideline to follow.

Get better.

Probus

See here for some basic information on setting up configs:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109901-0-90-TestFlight-v1-1-0-09-Feb-2015-Bring-Flight-Testing-to-KSP%21?p=1722208&viewfull=1#post1722208

Here is a log file that might help diagnose the stats not saving........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4efhi8625dj6gas/Player.log?dl=0

Also found a new bug where after shutting down engines the DU counter still climbs.

The engine DU counter still resets itself no matter if I use quicksaving or bruteforce saving. Where is the DU counter saved at?

The engine DU counter still resets itself no matter if I use quicksaving or bruteforce saving. Where is the DU counter saved at?

Its saved as part of your persistent file. Its saved by KSP since TestFlight is a scenario.

EDIT ok unfortunately that log isn't going to help because one its the wrong log, and two it appears you didn't turn on Debugging in the TestFlight settings. There is a link in the OP under Support to a post detailing how to find the proper log. It should be named output_log.txt. But I also need you to turn on Debugging in TestFlight though or else nothing is going to show up. Unlike many other mods TestFlight does NOT spam your log unless you ask it to :)

Edited by Agathorn

ooops, i had done the Shift-F12 debugg instead of your native mods debug. Ill do that the next time and also find a output.log . In the mean time there is a concern with the scope system ....ive done about 20 engines now and they were all tested to death to 10,000 units using a engine testing facility located on Kerbin. But in the config im seeing stuff like kerbin_atmosphere , none_deep-space, and scope = mun_space . Does that mean our flight data is now worthless due to traveling in other places?

ooops, i had done the Shift-F12 debugg instead of your native mods debug. Ill do that the next time and also find a output.log . In the mean time there is a concern with the scope system ....ive done about 20 engines now and they were all tested to death to 10,000 units using a engine testing facility located on Kerbin. But in the config im seeing stuff like kerbin_atmosphere , none_deep-space, and scope = mun_space . Does that mean our flight data is now worthless due to traveling in other places?

Yes, data is recorded per scope. Testing on Kerbin will let you make your launches more reliable but won't help you with performance in other areas such as in space, or down on another planet or moon. You'll need to actually test in those locations, after all that's what flight testing is :) Future possible integration will KCT will allow for limited data recording via sims in other locations but at the end of the day you still need to actually test a part in the environment.

well darn, that means alot of cfg hacking , but ill live for now. ALso a new bug, and I hate bugging you all the timee.....the DU counter will not go untill you have staged with the spacebar....using action groups to launch is ignored....

hey about the DU not saving, found out that was from Kerbal Alarm Clock or FMRS . Ive been getting these weird resets to persistent saves that were before the flight. This was without any Test Flight compliant engines so I can rule your mod out for sure. Kerbal ALarm Clock and FMRS have this way of screwing around with save files and afraid its never a perfect system.

While trying to test parts config files with TestFlight 1.1.0.0, as I enter flight scene, am getting a number of exceptions like the one below in the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at TestFlightCore.TestFlightCore.get_DebugEnabled () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TestFlightAPI.TestFlightUtil.Log (System.String message, .Part loggingPart) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TestFlightAPI.TestFlightReliabilityBase.Log (System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TestFlightAPI.TestFlightReliabilityBase+<Attach>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String, Object)

UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String)

TestFlightAPI.TestFlightReliabilityBase:OnAwake()

PartModule:Awake()

UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)

ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode)

ShipConstruction:LoadShip(String)

FlightDriver:Start()

(Filename: Line: -1)

Have not yet discovered what issue the above brings in game.

I'm also having nothing displayed in the Flight HUD (while instead the MSD shows the parts being tracked), though that may be a different issue. Whenever I enable the Flight HUD, the following Exception is logged:

ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint

Aborting

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TestFlightCore.TestFlightHUD.DrawWindow (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPPluginFramework.MonoBehaviourWindow.DrawWindowInternal (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

well darn, that means alot of cfg hacking , but ill live for now. ALso a new bug, and I hate bugging you all the timee.....the DU counter will not go untill you have staged with the spacebar....using action groups to launch is ignored....

Hmm interesting. Yesy TestFlight does not "activate" until it sees the first stage. I'll see if I can find a way to make this work with AGs as well.

- - - Updated - - -

hey about the DU not saving, found out that was from Kerbal Alarm Clock or FMRS . Ive been getting these weird resets to persistent saves that were before the flight. This was without any Test Flight compliant engines so I can rule your mod out for sure. Kerbal ALarm Clock and FMRS have this way of screwing around with save files and afraid its never a perfect system.

Not sure what FMRS is? I doubt it is KAC since I use that and haven't noticed any problems.

- - - Updated - - -

While trying to test parts config files with TestFlight 1.1.0.0, as I enter flight scene, am getting a number of exceptions like the one below in the log:

Have not yet discovered what issue the above brings in game.

I'm also having nothing displayed in the Flight HUD (while instead the MSD shows the parts being tracked), though that may be a different issue. Whenever I enable the Flight HUD, the following Exception is logged:

The FlightHUD is designed to only show failed parts, so if nothing has failed it *should* be empty. It is supposed to be a super compact way of monitoring part status.

As for the NRE. Can I see your config? Most likely it is missing something the system expects to be there.

As for the NRE. Can I see your config? Most likely it is missing something the system expects to be there.

They're here. The "Tanks" one is still what was distributed with TestFlight development version 0.4.0e7, the "Stock" one has all the lines from the "Engines" one from that same dev version, but for comments, and I'm checking what works or not towards the later versions of config files, before filling in values separately for each engine. So, some of the lines that went deprecated are commented.

I'm trying to solve the problem why these config files, though old, allow parts to be recognized (and also seem completely functional), while instead config files from later versions (e.g. TestFlight 0.4.6.2-Stock) don't work.

They're here. The "Tanks" one is still what was distributed with TestFlight development version 0.4.0e7, the "Stock" one has all the lines from the "Engines" one from that same dev version, but for comments, and I'm checking what works or not towards the later versions of config files, before filling in values separately for each engine. So, some of the lines that went deprecated are commented.

I'm trying to solve the problem why these config files, though old, allow parts to be recognized (and also seem completely functional), while instead config files from later versions (e.g. TestFlight 0.4.6.2-Stock) don't work.

Nothing jumps out at me as bad in there. And you've done a good job of noting the differences between versions. One thing I would note is that you should have a "scope = default" reliabilityCurve. That was added after and its basically a fallback and TestFlight can't otherwise find a matching curve. Also TextFlightReliability_EngineCycle no longer needs to have a reliabilityCurve.

That said, those should have nothing to do with the NRE, so its most likely something else. Is it spamming it in the logs, or is it just every now and then? Might be a benign error due to order to things starting up.

That is certainly odd. So you are saying that if you take the configs from the last Stock version to be released during dev that none of the parts are recognized?