[1.2.2] TestFlight - v1.8.0 - 01 May 2017 - Bring Flight Testing to KSP!

Agathorn

• 2 weeks later...

TestFlight AND DangIT:  A Match Made in Kerbi-heaven!!!!

These are both excellent mods.  Both cover VERY different aspects of how part failures are discovered, resolved and occur.

TestFlight covers the 'development phase' of part engineering.  Engineers require data to figure out how their parts can be better designed and using this data they continuously improve their designs until 'good enough' so they can move onto the next exciting project.  This is the 'pre-production' phase where engineers work-out bugs and kinks.

DangIT covers the 'post-deployment' or 'GA' or 'production' phase of part failure.  Heat, aero-dynamic and chemical stress, even radiation and magnetic forces all work against our most brilliant products.  Time and neglect are the enemy and everything, I mean EVERYTHING, even the best engineered mechanical masterpiece will fail given enough time and neglect.  This is where regularly scheduled maintenance can extend the life of our best parts, but even that has a shelf-life.  Well, everything except for my Tandy 1000 which is still going strong after 30 years of abuse and neglect...  Should have shot IT to the moon...

So cheers to you for creating a VERY fun and interesting mod.  And also to the other guy for creating his mod too...  :) 

Hey, I just tried TestFlight with Ven's Stock Revamp in 1.0.5, it seems to mostly "just work" since Ven mostly edits existing Squad parts.  However, the LV-900 engine that he adds is detected wrong - it continuously gathers data while off.  It's probably because the LV-900 comes with a small built-in toroidal fuel tank, and is detected as a tank rather than an engine.  I would just ignore it's tiny tank and treat it purely as an engine, there's no reason to bother making it's tank fail.  It should be quite a simple fix, in theory, although I notice that your only config for engines is "Stock_Engines.cfg".  I could insert my own config there to make it work, but official Test Flight being compatible with Ven's Stock Revamp would be really cool!  Would you be willing to accept pull requests to populate a Ven_Engines.cfg or something?

• 3 weeks later...

@Agathorn Is there a way to make every part mod compatible using the recource it uses or the tab it's found in? I have a lot of parts mods, but I really want to use this in my main game. I also know that spending months of time writing up configs for a bunch of mods isn't a particularly good use of time, so I just thought I'd ask and see if that sort of system is possible.

I am playing with RSS/RO and Test Flight but I am having some doubts if my installation has issues... Some engines have no test flight failures.

The LR89 series for instance has it's data and fails as it should but there is also the LR79/H-1/RS-27 series that instead will never fail, the 2 engines types are also so similar that in fact I would see no reason anymore to use LR89 and risk a malfunction when I could just use an LR79 with comparable statistics (except for the weight)

I have found on various websites informations about the various engines but rated burn is not specified for many rockets, for most of them there is only the burn time used on that specific configuration/rocket. And for the engines already in the configuration the values are kind of higher so I don't know what should I put.

How should I use that? for now I put it as the rated burn time like the other rockets the reliability starts decreasing 5 seconds after that.

Also I don't know exactly what to put in the reliability curve after that...

Edited by oktav

Rated burn should be a bit beyond the longest real life burn time of the given engine, I'd say.

For reliability curves, just try to copy the shape of a similar-era existing config? Like the Sputnik-level RD-107/108 should have similar curves to the LR89-NA-3 whereas the Soyuz era ones should be similar to LR89-NA-6 or H-1.

I fixed the AJ10 easily, but now I was trying to add the test flight data for the LR101 and the old A-4.. unfortunately i can only manage to get them to show the test flight info data in the VAB, but when they are launched test flight doesn't recognized them...

Any idea?

https://github.com/mellon85/TestFlight/blob/master/configs/RealismOverhaul/RO_Engines.yaml

@oktav I'm not terribly familiar with the yaml, only the resultant cfg code. However, you might be interested in the new generic TF config creator I pushed to the RO repo last ngiht. It drastically lowers the amount of information you need to set for each config. Example:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/TF_LMDE.cfg

As you can see, it takes only a minimum of 3 lines (burn time, reliability at start, reliability at end) to configure an engine. The script creates sensible values from those.

• 2 weeks later...

• FIX: Do a pass to further clean up burn times
  • NEW: Add new LR87-LH2 config.
  • FIX: Correct LR91 burn time cycles.
  • NEW: Add LR91-AJ-3; fix LR87/91 config names for next RO.
  • FIX: Fix ignition pressure curves, remove Agena and LR89/105 configs (done in RO).
  • NEW: Add AJ10-early comments.
  • CHANGE: Update AJ10-early configs for new RO.
  • CHANGE: Update Examples.txt. Added example config for failures to FARControllableSurface module

I've been playing with the latest version of this for a little bit now (and reading and rereading the OP and your wiki) and I feel like I'm missing something. Is it just for what's listed in the configs (I downloaded the stock ones) or does it work with every part you have installed (mods included)? From the looks of things, I'm guessing it's the former, limiting it to engines (and I guess fuel tanks?), since I successfully gathered data on my Flea, but not my Mk1 capsule. I can't do anything with the data yet (only 170 some units), but it's something I guess.

Just want to make sure I didn't bungle the installation or am missing files.

Cheers.

On 29/02/2016 at 10:50 PM, NathanKell said:

Yep, this only works on stuff it's been configured to work on. @anxcon personally has configs to add to things generically, though...

Fair enough. Just started RO (with the required and recommended mods, including IIRC some engine packs) and noticed some engines not configured. Before I get too deep into a career I thought I should have TestFlight know about the engines so I looked at the RO_engines.cfg to just copy over the settings from one engine to the missing ones as a basic workaround and discovered it has no carriage returns or formatting of any kind which makes it really hard to understand, let alone edit.

Is it best to use a particular text editor for it or do I need to wade through a big old wall of text?

Also, if I have misunderstood how to add an engine to TestFlight I would appreciate being told how to do that or best of all a sample .cfg I could edit (apologies if the info is earlier in the thread)

Edited by John FX

@John FX In the latest RO release I added TF configs for all starting and early engines in the RP-0 career tree, but you're right that many more need configuring. To facilitate this, I did some pretty funky MM coding that allows you to just specify a few attributes per engine and my generator will take care of the rest. Here's an example of how to use it. Note that it's applied per engine config, and the application should be in the engine config's global file.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/Engine_Configs/LMDE_Config.cfg#L174-L232

As you can see, you really only need the rated burn time and the start and end reliabilities for ignition and for completing the burn cycle.

Regarding the TF RO_Config.cfg file, I suggest using Notepad++ because I think the issue is it has Unix/Mac line endings that your text editor doesn't understand. It shows up perfectly fine for me in Notepad++ (or any other more advanced notepad replacement).

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

@John FX In the latest RO release I added TF configs for all starting and early engines in the RP-0 career tree, but you're right that many more need configuring. To facilitate this, I did some pretty funky MM coding that allows you to just specify a few attributes per engine and my generator will take care of the rest. Here's an example of how to use it. Note that it's applied per engine config, and the application should be in the engine config's global file.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/Engine_Configs/LMDE_Config.cfg#L174-L232

As you can see, you really only need the rated burn time and the start and end reliabilities for ignition and for completing the burn cycle.

Regarding the TF RO_Config.cfg file, I suggest using Notepad++ because I think the issue is it has Unix/Mac line endings that your text editor doesn't understand. It shows up perfectly fine for me in Notepad++ (or any other more advanced notepad replacement).

Yup, I was using notepad original version. I`ll try it in notepad++

It does seem pretty funky coding as you say. I really should learn the syntax for MM...

I assume you say which engine you are modding in the line

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs]:HAS[@CONFIG[LMDE-H]],!MODULE[TestFlightInterop]]:BEFORE[zTestFlight]

in the place where it says `LDME-H`?

EDIT : I just realised I was asking for a basic tutorial on how to use MM so I`ll look for one of those instead of cluttering up the thread for TestFlight.

Edited by John FX