[0.90] Lazor System v35 (Dec 17)

Romfarer

This mod is so awesome, really! I just found out that you updated again and added the IP Transfer stuff, 'm about to try it out, actually. The only thing I could even come up with that could be considered negative is that I have to build each lazor for every craft. I just don't get the point of having to assemble the different colored Lazors, especially when it is this tedious. Why not just have each color be a part? But, yeah it's not that big of a deal, I was just curious as to why you made it that way.....

If the plan was to keep the system like it is now, it would be better to add 6 different colored lazors in stead of 1 lazor and 3 color crystals to do the same thing. The reason why i made it like this is, i wanted a system you have to build on top of a rocket, just like you build the rocket itself. After all, the game itself could come with a couple pre-made rockets you could fly, but the whole point of ksp is the assembly. Originally i planned to add more lazor modifications to the systems, not just color crystals. And honestly i haven't really given up on that idea. I realize it doesn't make much sense to have it like this for some of the subsystems and i'm hoping to correct this as the development progress.

Thanks for the reply, oh and I used ipt last night(well, I tried to) it is quite good! I like the visual references, it made it a lot easier to understand what I was doing. I used it to get to minimus just to get the hang of it before trying Duna. It worked flawlessly! Tonight, after work I will launch a ship to Duna and let you know how it goes.

Edited by Redrumssam
Damn iPhone keyboard can't keep up with my thumbs!

That sounds like an hover SAS system. ^^

This new lazer powered stabilizer is insane, i couldn't nudge my vessel when i had it on. I can already hear the critics "ooooop op op" hehe. I think i gonna have to turn down the effect on that thing =p

The new tractor beam is definately working and better than ever! :D

Check out my windsurfer

screenshot18l.png

So the "plane" only has a sharp edge as err.."landing surface", and a huge sail looking thing on the top. It immediately flips over when launching, but i catch it during the fall and enable the stabilizer so it immediately flips back up again. Then i set the altitude of the hover system to 5 meter, go EVA and cruise down the runway =p

Edit...

i made a better one

screenshot111l.png

screenshot114n.png
Edited by Romfarer

Well I just launched four missiles at a discarded stage from orbit and I can happily say that with proximity detonation on, I was able to get some hits that sent it spiralling off. Sadly no breaking up despite the rocket parts shaking themselves apart halfway through launch... I'm still doubtful it has anything to do with joint strength.

Well I just launched four missiles at a discarded stage from orbit and I can happily say that with proximity detonation on, I was able to get some hits that sent it spiralling off. Sadly no breaking up despite the rocket parts shaking themselves apart halfway through launch... I'm still doubtful it has anything to do with joint strength.

I think you need a different type of warhead to do what you are trying to do. How about one that rips every part of the vessel off and THEN send them flying? ;-)

I'll add vessels as targets for the transfer system in the next version. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you only want a transfer calculator, protractor is a great mod. It doesn't have the elliptic formulas though, no wonder cause i made those myself ;)

As far as the teleporter goes, I will "make it so", as Picard would say ;-)

Teleporter.. YES!

"Engage" says Picard

"MAXIMUM WARP" Janeway says.

• 6 months later...

Got a bug report. With romfarer.dll, in 0.19.1 it causes the launch clamps to explode upon release instead of detaching. I narrowed down the problem to your dll. if I remove it from the plugins folder, and test the game, the launch clamps work detach normally. When I put the dll back, the launch clamps explode instead of releasing.

This is by far my favorite plugin for close to a dozen reasons.

Still, there are only three features that sit at the top of my wishlist;

1. Fire & Forget Tracking - missile is assigned target and locks on when released; freeing up the 'targeting computer' to track and engage other targets.
  2. Remote Tracking & Launching - enabling the remote targeting and tracking of vessels within the detection sphere (97km limit) - control another laser system for the purpose of firing missiles at yourself...
  3. Targeting-Servo - articulating tracking part assembly that will point an attachment (such as a missile, sunbeam, or projectile cannon) at the designated target

These three would significantly expand the game-play aspects of the plugin for me.

F&F is pretty direct; I fill some harbor with ships, swoop down in my heavily armed attack aircraft, and lite 'em up in a swarm of missiles.

Remote tracking & launching also expands on the possibility of some serious repeat playability. The ships I mentioned above could fire back! You could do "trench runs," deploy counter-measures in defense scenarios, practice in-flight missile avoidance, and/or build your own missile defense capability against short range ballistic missiles.

The servo would let us mount the sunbeam, GAU, or missiles which would do as described. It would also let you do mouse aim so when someone finally develops a howitzer, you can aim it and practice artillery.

Now if you automate (flight plans - vessel spawning?) these things, you would have almost unlimited SP mini-games. I foresee preset scenarios that are populated with various targets, mission objectives, and enemies. One could just download it, grab the necessary mods, and purpose-build craft to complete the objections.

The kicker is almost all of these suggestions would have "civilian" applications as well.

Just some ideas, I know Rom has got his hands full with other great things. :)

Any tips on how to get the cruise missiles to hit an object in space? Their tracking doesn't seem to work well with me. I can get the medium ones to hit at less than ~35 km, but the explosion they produce isn't all that spectacular. Trying to use these for some debris cleanup.

Changelog v26 (April 26):

• Lazor System EVA: Added a decouple and weld function to the EVA's coming out of vessel with Lazor System installed. This system is speciffically made to work with my robotic arms and it is possible to use it to move parts on your vessel in-flight. This system has been tested using one arm. I can't guarantee that it will work if you create elaborate chains of arms or circular connections. So if you want it to work in those cases you will have to test it yourself and send me the steps to reproduce any bugs you find. The decoupling beam will decouple the selected part from it's parent. If using this with the robotic arms, keep in mind that the parent part is in the direction of the current root part of the vessel. Generally if the arm control is enabled, this is away from the arm, and towards the arm if the controls are grayed out. The weld beam will weld two selected parts together. The parts need to be close to eachother for this to work properly.
  • Lazor System EVA: Lazor powered EVA's should not loose their connection to their vessels as frequently anymore.
  • Lazor System, Lazor guided flight (Red) system: Pid controller settings are now persistent
  • Lazor System, Lazor guided flight (Red) system: Fixed lazor guided flight directions in rocket mode. The system's directions will now depend on where you are controlling from.
  • Lazor System, Tractor beam (Magenta) system: Now with simplified movement control.
  • Lazor System, Tractor beam (Magenta) system in hover mode: The stabilizor should now properly stabilize the craft independent on the controlling command pod's position/rotation.
  • Lazor System Config: Improved grouping/ungrouping functions.
  • All plugins: Linux compatibility fix.
  • Lazor Docking Cam: Fixed some issues with installing the package on MAC

Enjoy! :D

Romfarer- I haz a question:

Will you release a version of the lazor plugin that limits the rendering distance from 98 km to 10 km? or 2.5 km as in the game?

Thanks!

You can set the loading distance in the lazor powered menu in the space center.

And before someone ask, no it can't be made automatic cause there is no way to tell what range you need: Generally if you don't want to use missile stuff and don't want to see stuff far away with the camera, just set it to default.

lazorpowered.jpg

Edited by Romfarer

Changelog v26 (April 26):

• Lazor System EVA: Added a decouple and weld function to the EVA's coming out of vessel with Lazor System installed. This system is speciffically made to work with my robotic arms and it is possible to use it to move parts on your vessel in-flight. This system has been tested using one arm. I can't guarantee that it will work if you create elaborate chains of arms or circular connections. So if you want it to work in those cases you will have to test it yourself and send me the steps to reproduce any bugs you find. The decoupling beam will decouple the selected part from it's parent. If using this with the robotic arms, keep in mind that the parent part is in the direction of the current root part of the vessel. Generally if the arm control is enabled, this is away from the arm, and towards the arm if the controls are grayed out. The weld beam will weld two selected parts together. The parts need to be close to eachother for this to work properly.
  • Lazor System EVA: Lazor powered EVA's should not loose their connection to their vessels as frequently anymore.
  • Lazor System, Lazor guided flight (Red) system: Pid controller settings are now persistent
  • Lazor System, Lazor guided flight (Red) system: Fixed lazor guided flight directions in rocket mode. The system's directions will now depend on where you are controlling from.
  • Lazor System, Tractor beam (Magenta) system: Now with simplified movement control.
  • Lazor System, Tractor beam (Magenta) system in hover mode: The stabilizor should now properly stabilize the craft independent on the controlling command pod's position/rotation.
  • Lazor System Config: Improved grouping/ungrouping functions.
  • All plugins: Linux compatibility fix.
  • Lazor Docking Cam: Fixed some issues with installing the package on MAC

Enjoy! :D

Sweet, will have to try this out :)

That said, were the other Lazor based mods (eg. the Robotic arms pack) updated on the Spaceport simply to comply with the latest Lazor spec, or did they see other updates as well?

Is there a way to enable the EVA features (detonate, decouple, weld) without having to include yet another part? I've already moved most such "functionality" onto all the command pods; the exceptions are isa mapsat gps and lazor. The common feature of these two, that keeps me from doing that, is the part.cfg line module = LazorSystem whereas almost everything else uses module { name = X } and so can be added to an existing part. Using the latter where the original part uses the former doesn't work. Doing the former on a command pod will probably just blow up on me.

Got a bug report. With romfarer.dll, in 0.19.1 it causes the launch clamps to explode upon release instead of detaching. I narrowed down the problem to your dll. if I remove it from the plugins folder, and test the game, the launch clamps work detach normally. When I put the dll back, the launch clamps explode instead of releasing.
It's a feature, not a bug :)

I am finally sticking with v23 because of this b... feature/workaround/whatever :D

Is it possible to deactivate the clamps explosion when we are using default distances ?

Clamps shouldn't trigger the teleporting issue then, doesn't they ?

Also I see this workaround becoming a problem when the new launch tower will come back anyway.

Thanks.

Sweet, will have to try this out :)

That said, were the other Lazor based mods (eg. the Robotic arms pack) updated on the Spaceport simply to comply with the latest Lazor spec, or did they see other updates as well?

My mods use the same plugin file "Romfarer.dll". So you should be able to update everything by just installing that file.

Is there a way to enable the EVA features (detonate, decouple, weld) without having to include yet another part? I've already moved most such "functionality" onto all the command pods; the exceptions are isa mapsat gps and lazor. The common feature of these two, that keeps me from doing that, is the part.cfg line module = LazorSystem whereas almost everything else uses module { name = X } and so can be added to an existing part. Using the latter where the original part uses the former doesn't work. Doing the former on a command pod will probably just blow up on me.

I'll proably add an option in the lazor powered menu so you can get the lazor powered eva's even if you don't have lazor system on your vessel.

It won't really work atm. to use lazor system as a partmodule because it requires a part with a speciffic structure (a lazor on top, for one). It could of course be made to do that but it is not a priority at all as it would require a lot of work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.