Planetverse: A Sandbox Space-Exploration Game

carlpilot

Its the Kraken!

Could you get past (but hardly fix) the issue with hotkeys?

Not really. I still want the UI to exist :P

I think you might want to (since the universe is smallish) just move the universe completely around the ship (velocities etc.) to stop the camera problem...

Also dont go 100km/s, you have tiny planets, you can scale down the speed units (no need for interstellar yet...)

I am moving the universe completely around the ship, the problem is that the universe is moving so quickly that there are problems.

I am going 100km/s to see what happens, I didn't expect good results in the first place, just wanted to see how broken things got :D

-Carlpilot :)

New blog post: Interstellar Travel, It's Almost Here

unity-2015-03-07-08-59-24-611.jpg

This is a screenshot from Unity's Scene view of a brand-new, procedurally-generated solar system about 10 kilometers away from the main universe. It has its own planets and star, and is fully travellable-to and landable-on! Coming with this is.. time warp! The ability to stretch time from your very own keyboard!

These systems appear everywhere in infinite numbers, making your Planetverse experience an infinite one!

That's about it for now, stay tuned for more!

-Carlpilot

• 2 weeks later...

The new cratered planet looks good, although I feel that I share some of daniel's sentiment about the realism (though, the clip really seems to say relatively little about how in game physics work).

Is that planet (in the recent post) mesh based craters, or bumpmaped, or an ability to change between them (like, if we landed on the surface, would there be visible deformations)?

Assuming that it is not a procedural texture, I would be curious how you made it. As I said in a previous post here, I have done some work in Blender on making planets manually, but have not really gotten good looking randomness, not very easily, any way. Perhaps we could help eachother?

11_4_1.png

The craters, sadly, are a normal map. I have a Blender model with real craters that I put in shortly after taking that shot, though. Textures were made in Paint.Net using cloud noise, which I then edited to add anything else I needed. The normal map in the picture is from Space Engine.

-Carlpilot :)

- - - Updated - - -

Updated version:

screenshot3_session1222.png

New blog post: Procedural Planets, They're Here!

In the beginning, there was SphereWarper.cs, a C# script that stretched, warped, and created holes in meshes.

spikyrock.png

Now, a system identifies a mesh and adds a noise variation, creating craters, mountains, and rugged terrain. When combined with high-resolution textures, the result is the new Planetverse Procedural Planets!

taste.png

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.