Shadows of the Kraken: Remastered & The Lost Chapters

CatastrophicFailure

On 5/14/2017 at 9:16 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

Put some brackets around all the ones you haven't done, maybe?

Brilliant!

But as soon as I tried, the chapter list flarped itself and I just had to rebuild the whole dang thing. :mad: (Not your doing, the forum shenanigans.)

So un-un-derped chapters are now simply the unlinked ones.

And I've figured out where to add a couple surprises already. :D but, like, later...

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And I've figured out where to add a couple surprises already. :D but, like, later...

Cool - we're getting the re-mastered Director's Cut version!

40 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yes! Yes! All new digitally enhanced effects! "Restored" lost footage! Irreversibly masticating fans' favorites scenes!

Er, wait, I'm not George Lucas. 

...or... am I?

Meesa don't think you are...

21 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yes! Yes! All new digitally enhanced effects! "Restored" lost footage! Irreversibly masticating fans' favorites scenes!

Er, wait, I'm not George Lucas. 

...or... am I?

Meesa no sure-sure...

Meesa thinky maybe yousa impostor!

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2015 at 11:19 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Chadvey's lifeless body fell backwards, twitching slightly, for a moment, a jet of vapor escaping from the tiny hole in the center of his faceplate. Jerdous then swung the bulky laser at Burdous, his mouth agape, his face uncomprehending. Jerdous's brow was pinched in hate, his mouth a toothy snarl. Burdous realized the danger, but too late. He hit his suit thrusters the same moment Jerdous fired. Burdous screamed, his limp form tumbling away slowly across the dark, airless sky. Jerdous brought the laser to bear on Edgas, who could do nothing but stare helplessly, frozen in place.

"You," Burdous snarled, "youuuuuuuuu! You have been a thorn in my side for years now." His face was a rictus of anger and cruel glee.

Edgas just stared, his mouth moving wordlessly.

I found a mistake. isn't it Jurdous who's doing the snarling?

sorry about that. I was reading through these for the first time, Which I might add I love. This and the Ussari Space Program, which i think you wrote, are amazing.

I'm reading them to my wife, and they are acceptably creepy.

On 8/3/2017 at 9:46 AM, Thedrelle said:

sorry about that. I was reading through these for the first time, Which I might add I love. This and the Ussari Space Program, which i think you wrote, are amazing.

I'm reading them to my wife, and they are acceptably creepy.

Glad you've enjoyed it. :D I apologize for the rather rough shape of the last half or so, I still haven't finished editing everything after the forum goofed it up a while back. And also, as you noticed, typos. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2015 at 9:49 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Aye, Ah've bin alone. A fortress of solitude, in a kingdom of isolation. Y'think, no one can possibly bear, what it is y'bear. That no one understands, no one can know. No one can help. So y'go someplace far away, wall y'r self up, shut out everyone and everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quite a story!  Now certain parts of ROTK are making more sense.  Now on to the middle book :wink:

I tried to quote a few choice turns of phrase you used in various episodes (which I hope you eventually finish cataloging in the TOC) but for some reason they were mostly gone when I got to the last page here.  But regardless, I really admire your writing style. 

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Quite a story!  Now certain parts of ROTK are making more sense.  Now on to the middle book :wink:

I tried to quote a few choice turns of phrase you used in various episodes (which I hope you eventually finish cataloging in the TOC) but for some reason they were mostly gone when I got to the last page here.  But regardless, I really admire your writing style. 

The editor doesn’t save quotes between pages, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words... and nudge to get a few more chapters in-derped and edited properly. :wink: One day I’ll get this mess fixed. 

Whispers, on the other hand, is likely replete with typos but the strange characters are all fixed. Except for the ones that are supposed to be there. 

16 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Thanks for the kind words... 

Well-earned they were.  I suspect you'll get more as time progresses :) 

Whispers, on the other hand, is likely replete with typos but the strange characters are all fixed. Except for the ones that are supposed to be there. 

Typos are a side-effect of liquid inspiration, which means you should probably switch to absinthe, which keeps you more lucid :D

EDIT:  As to "strange characters", it took me quite a while to figure out you were using Cyrillic letters based on their resemblance to Latin letters, not based on their sounds in any of the languages that are written with Cyrillic :)  I'm certainly no scholar of any of those languages but I know enough that this threw me a real curveball.  

Edited by Geschosskopf

Hah, managed my second read through... though I didn't notice any anomalies... I mean bonus extras etc.

Just as  good the second time. Now to re-read Whispers.

DId find just two teeny weeny little bloopers.

One, on the trip to Jool there was a conversation with Berdous and at one point you said 'Jerdous said'... Gotta look back to find exactly where. When I get a chance (probably tonight) I'll see if I can round that up. Really should have copy pasted the address back then, or at least noted the chapter number.

Two. I may be misremembering, but doesn't Valentina end up at the Mun Station in Whispers? At the end of Shadow you have Edgas coming back to the munstation and finding everything just as they left it... that doesn't match what I remember happening. Wasn't there a rover missing at least? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

This is an Awesome story with a capital AWE. I really hope to see more to this. I haven't finished re-reading Whispers, and last time I was reading it it wasn't finished, so if you have posted that a sequal/prequel to that is in the works I haven't noticed yet.

52 minutes ago, Patupi said:

Hah, managed my second read through... though I didn't notice any anomalies... I mean bonus extras etc.

Other than straight out fixes, most of the changes I’ve added have been few and subtle. I’d be real surprised if someone could pick them out after all this time. :wink:

54 minutes ago, Patupi said:

One, on the trip to Jool there was a conversation with Berdous and at one point you said 'Jerdous said'... Gotta look back to find exactly where. When I get a chance (probably tonight) I'll see if I can round that up. Really should have copy pasted the address back then, or at least noted the chapter number.

Yarnt. :huh: Every time I think I’ve got all those pruned, another pops up. The perils of two similar names. :rolleyes:  Since that’s right about where I am with re-editing, hopefully I just haven’t gotten to it yet, but if you do come across it again please do let me know. 

56 minutes ago, Patupi said:

Two. I may be misremembering, but doesn't Valentina end up at the Mun Station in Whispers? At the end of Shadow you have Edgas coming back to the munstation and finding everything just as they left it... that doesn't match what I remember happening. Wasn't there a rover missing at least? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

I would say, read carefully. One, or possibly both, of us is not remembering accurately. :wink: (I thought I’d had that bit properly tidied, but given the circumstance, Edgas’s own memory might not have been the best at that point, either.)

1 hour ago, Patupi said:

This is an Awesome story with a capital AWE. I really hope to see more to this. I haven't finished re-reading Whispers, and last time I was reading it it wasn't finished, so if you have posted that a sequal/prequel to that is in the works I haven't noticed yet.

The third installment is well underway. :D

Found it! It's Chapter 33:Speed, just a few paragraphs in:

"Anyway, you're distracting me. You don't need to know the details of the engine's operation, just watch the status lights. Green is good. Yellow is not good. Red is bad. Red is very, very bad." Jerdous pointed to a large red button under a clear plastic cover on the console, "you see red, you lift this cover, you hit this button. And you better have a damn good explanation too. That's the emergency SCRAM, it's not easily undone. And don't touch anything else!"

As to Valentina/Edgas and the munbase, well, when I get back to that section of Whispers I'll see if all was as my perdiferous memory recalls... if memory itself can recall? Retains? Stores?

Also very glad to hear of Revelations... yeah. Totally didn't notice that on your signature... swear it wasn't there this morning *grumble mumble* Curses, darned flarping eyesight.

4 hours ago, Patupi said:

Found it! It's Chapter 33:Speed, just a few paragraphs in:

Dagnabbut. :mad:

OK, got it, thanx.

4 hours ago, Patupi said:

Also very glad to hear of Revelations... yeah. Totally didn't notice that on your signature... swear it wasn't there this morning *grumble mumble* Curses, darned flarping eyesight.

So you're saying it was... revealed?  :wink:

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So you're saying it was... revealed?  :wink:

And let the Light be revealed... better than the darkness being revealed.

Oh

Wait

Never mind.

Edited by Patupi

• 2 months later...

Shadows of the Kraken: The Lost Chapters

Spoiler

These are some early installments of my 6.4x career that eventually became Shadows. Interesting (hopefully) mission reports, rather than real story, and quite disjointed.
Also names may have been changed to protect the innocent... or not...:wink: There may be more floating about in the ancient, pre-forum-derp pages of the WDYDIKSPT? thread, 6.4x was a bit rare back then so that's what's likely to come up in a search.

Building Highlab II
Assembling the Münbase
To the Mün, Edgas 
One Bad Joke to Rule Them All  
Assembling the Münbase I swear...
Assembling the Münbase (Reprise) see what I did there? 

These have been left unedited and fully derped, as a bit of history into the birth of an Epic. :D
OK, you can stop laughing now. Seriously. I get it. That's enough. Stahp. Fine, laugh it up, fuzzballs, sheesh...

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.