Hey Everybody! I'm a Kerbal names Katie.

Little Katie

I joined back in the fall but I've been a lurker. I'm a girl who plays KSP. I've seen posts about whether girls play or not and how important or not important it would be to have girl kerbals in the game. The lack of lady like characters in KSP was something I noticed, but I honestly figured it was the kind of situation where the devs didn't think of it and it just kind of happened that way. Not a big deal, I figured it would happen eventually. I'm excited about Project V! But I don't feel like my identity is affected by little green space people in a video game I enjoy. Maybe if it were children playing it would matter more, I don't know. But that's all I have to say about that. Might as well put my two cents in since it's sort of novelty for a girl to play, but I don't want it to turn into one of those conversations. :kiss:

I really like this game a lot. I started playing last year. I was going through a lot of changes in my life after a really difficult situation. The challenge of learning this game was a really positive influence on how I got through the tough part of a messy mess. It gave me something else to think about and focus on. But I also have a really busy life and couldn't put as much time into it as I wanted. Actually, I would put in a lot of hours but I didn't know how to play very well. I had less patience for reading about it at the time. I have looked up different things about how to play but it can take me a really long time to figure it out because I'm dyslexic and learn better visually. So I would also spend a good bit of time following youtube videos and making notes on them. If you want to hear something entertaining, Scott Manley sounds ridiculously funny if you play the videos in the slower speed. :D

My favorite thing about the game is when I go through all this trial and error to get something off the ground and I make it into space. Every time the space music plays I feel the magic and it cools my jets. The music score in the game is brilliant. I love to experience that feeling of weightlessness and emptiness when my craft orbits. It clears my mind when I watch Kerbin disappear and I'm out in the middle of nowhere. It feels so peaceful and quiet. I love it when I approach a celestial body for the first time in "real life". Even when I've seen so many videos of other people getting there, it's totally different when I do it myself. I love the texture of the planets and the moons and I love to see the details appear when I get closer or fade when I'm leaving. All of those sensory things are made even sweeter when accompanied by the feeling of accomplishment that comes with experiencing them. My first encounter with this game was in the demo. I had absolutely no idea what any of the parts were and I stuck things together to make a rocket that looked something like what I'd seen in documentaries. I love NASA documentaries. This thing I made got up high enough for the music to play and I was so moved I welled up with tears a little bit. Ever since then I've just wanted to get better at it. I'm still not all that good but I love it regardless. There is something about space that has always touched me deeply. I don't know how to explain it.

I don't know what else to say, so that's it. It'd be cool to hear what compels other people to play and love this game so much.

Welcome Katie Kerman! We're getting Female kerbals in the next update, or so I've heard....

I'll have to watch Scott manley slower this time, that must be very.... interesting to say the least.

Trial and error is probably the best way to do thinks when learning KSP. Once you reach the mun and back, it should be smooth(er) sailing from there. And if you need more specific help the community's more than happy to give it to you.

"Godspeed kerbal! And don't blow up!"

Welcome aboard! Female KSP players are certainly a rarity. Despite the polls, I know of only two forum users who were definitely girls, and you're the second XD

Happy flying!

Welcome to the forums! Ksp has helped many players through tough times, including me. I honestly only know two or three female kerbal players, counting you. I would recommend taking a look at the modding subforum, it adds many great features that really compliment an already great game.

Hey guys thanks for welcoming me! I'm glad someone got a kick out of my wall of text, thanks for reppin my post :cool:. I figured it'd be better to get it out in my intro than to try and work that stuff into to threads where it's not relevant.

So far I've landed on Mün, Minmus, and Duna. I have like 6 kerbals on Duna right now and I'm trying to get a rover to them. So I'll see yous guys around in the other areas of the forum :D