KSP keeps crashing with RetroFuture?

I want the mod RetroFuture but whenever I try to load the game, it crashes at the part where it loads all of RT (it loads a slight amount in the begininng). I cannot fix this problem and hope anyone out there would try and help so here are my specs and the mods I use.

Specs

Acer Aspire R14 (Laptop)

6 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

Intel i5 - 4210U @ 1.70 ghz ~ 2.4

Intel HD graphics family (yes I know what that graphics card is capable of but who cares XD)

Windows 8.1

Mods I use in KSP

B9 Aerospace

Active Texture Management

Adjustable wheels by BahamutoD

BDArmory

Boat Parts by InfiniteDice

Hangar Extender by ssnjo (if i didn't misspell)

Hyperedit

Infernal Robotics

KAS

KAX

MechJeb

ModuleManager

Procedural Wings

QuickSearch and Mute

RPM or RasterPropMonitor(JSI) I've taken out the RPMPodPatches in GameData/JSI and replaced with the newest version of RPM to see if it would work with that. So far, nothing is working.

SpaceY

Tweak Scale

Edited by SWAGATRON
Solved

Moved to Support (modded installs), where support requests are made for modded KSP.

By OpenGL, Tidus Klein probably means to ask if you've forced KSP to use OpenGL, which can save substantial amounts of RAM, but is unstable and not supported. If you do try it, you'll almost certainly need both of these command line switches: -force-opengl and -nopopup.

I second the recommendation to use ATM-aggressive.

If those don't work, try removing various mods to see which you can live without, or post your output_log.txt in case it's a different issue. If you're not sure where to find that, please read the How to Get Support sticky in this forum.

OK I am way too confused, can someone just tell me a step-by-step tutorial on How to install RetroFuture?

I'd like it in this format.

1. Open RT directory.

2. Delete the ATM.cfg in RetroFuture/Patches /RF_ATMPatch (as martinezfg11 said)

I know I've missed some steps here but I would like someone to post a reply/new thread addressing this issue.

Even as far as making a video would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to say I've downloaded the x86 aggressive version of ATM and ran the game without RT.

It's really as simple as putting the RetroFuture folder in your GameData directory and downloading an updated version of Firespitter from http://snjo.github.io/

If you are still having issues perhaps there is something else going on in your game directory, I have had inexplicable issues with KSP in the past and the best remedy I have found is to remove the whole ksp directory and re-install from steam.

No I do not use 64-bit KSP but I do use 86x ATM and I have solved the problem. For some reason, the cause was OpenGL. It seems very strange and I would like a solution to that as well but it appears to be a very complex problem seeing that any archive related to ATM and ATM itself was not the cause of the original problem. Should I have x64 or x86 ATM?

- - - Updated - - -

I have also deleted all .cfg files with ATM before the .cfg.

Glad you were able to figure out that OpenGL caused the new issue – as I said, it's unstable and not supported, though you could try reporting specific issues on the Unity forums.

For ATM, you want the version that matches your KSP, not your OS: x86 is 32-bit and x86-64 is 64-bit. In other words, the x86 version of ATM was the right choice all along.

Glad you were able to figure out that OpenGL caused the new issue – as I said, it's unstable and not supported, though you could try reporting specific issues on the Unity forums.

For ATM, you want the version that matches your KSP, not your OS: x86 is 32-bit and x86-64 is 64-bit. In other words, the x86 version of ATM was the right choice all along.

Wait, so you're saying that if I'm using a 64 bit OS and am running the 32 bit KSP, I should actually get the x64-aggressive release? Because I'm using the x86-aggressive release since I thought I needed the one for the OS.

Edited by smjjames

To anyone who is confused:

Master Tao is saying that the x86 version of ATM (aggressive in this case) is the corresponding "bit type?" to a 64-bit OS. If it was the x64 version of ATM then the corresponding OS would then need to be a 32-bit. So you should only be worried you're ATM or OS "bit type" doesn't correspond to either the ATM bit or your OS bit.

64-bit OS = x86 ATM (aggressive or basic)

32-bit OS = x64 ATM (aggressive or basic)

Also thanks, I didn't know that OpenGL was unstable, Master Tao. Should I make a new thread covering this situation to anyone who is having the same one as I had?

No wait, isn't x64 actually 32 bit and the x86 actually 64 bit? I know the number doesn't quite add up for the x86, but I thought that's how it works?

Maybe we should ask the author of ATM for clarification.

Though if anything, how come the author of ATM doesn't have that fact documented on the OP of the thread for it?

x86 and x86-64 (sometimes referred to as x64) are the names of the processor architectures. The name x86 dates back to the Intel 8086, a 16-bit processor and later the 80386, a 32-bit processor. AMD developed 64-bit extensions and called the expanded architecture x86-64. The top-level instructions for Intel and AMD processors are much the same now as then, even though the processors themselves have fundamentally changed.

It's confusing because almost everyone playing games these days has an x86-64 processor running an OS compiled for x86-64, but what matters is the architecture KSP was built for. 64-bit KSP is built for x86-64, whereas 32-bit KSP is built for x86. Unless the fixes rbray89 made for the x86-64 version of ATM actually break something for 32-bit KSP, you may be able to use that version for both versions of KSP.

Now, does anyone else have advice to help SWAGATRON stabilize her/his install? I think we've covered most of the good options:

• Try OpenGL to see if it breaks more than it fixes
  • Install ATM aggressive, or change the scale setting
  • Remove mods, or parts of mods

Fortunately, this situation has now ended and I finally am able to run RT on KSP. Thanks to all who have helped my problem, I really acknowledge all of your attention to all of you for your patience and care. +1 rep to all of you!

- - - Updated - - -

(Only to the ones who helped so not the ones who were also having problems)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.