KMKMK-Challenge

I want to share a Challenge that is indeed Kerbal:

Fly to the moon and back to kerbal. Land save on the ground and have a rest each time - and do it TWICE with one Rocket.

Rules:

- Stockparts!

Goals:

- Land near/on KSC .. twice

- Keep the design small enough to make a less laggy Video ;-)

Have Fun!

Hi, i had this challenge in mind for some time now, just registered to post my progress and maybe get some hints :P

Currently i need to put this 90ton bayby into orbit.

1905c.png

It is capable of getting from LKO (low Kerth orbit) to the surface of the Mun, landing at Kerth and going again to Mun and back to Kerth(landing on legs without a chute).

There are some problems with landings, and using keyboard to do it is not helping :P

I would be glad if someone could give me some insight on most fuel efficient way to get from LKO to Mun since it takes almost 6 full tanks doing it the 'burn when Mun is at horizon until orbits intersect' and then just retrograde to land.

Also are there some guides/tips on how to do Kerth reentry so that it lands near Launch center? I don\'t want to waste fuel creating some kind of tested orbit. (my current return orbits are quite random - highly elliptical with Pe in atmosphere to slow down).

Cheers! :3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I\'ve been trying to do this also. Here is what I have so far. I am trying to get the currently smallest mun rocket called 'The Bare Minimum' designed by Apotheosist over here, http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=11407.0 to the mun and back. That thing is a handfull, I was able to get within 30 meters of a Mun landing but it was the side of a mountain, so I just returned to Kerbin.

cb9b9_thumb.png

Here is my attempt to get 'The Bare Minimum' to the Mun

cb4b6_thumb.png

I used this lifter that I was able to land on the Mun with 8 full fuel tanks just to test the lifting capacity and a return pod (unfotunately I measured the gear wrong)

a0413_thumb.png

Also, to give an idea to Nao for landing at a certain point, try using aerobraking (a higher Pe) on the return to lower your apoapsis. Once it is low enough it will be easier to eyeball the landing retro burn, since it\'s anybody\'s guess as to where you land until we get some more instrumentation.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go - 80.9 Tonns and designed for the complete KMKMK-Tour .. jeah, there is mechjeb on board - but its not that hard without - video will be made tomorow with jeb himself, i just need to sleep right now :D

Overall 8 engines and 23,5 Fueltanks.. JEHAW!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.