Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum?

Yakuzi

Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum

• Yes, that's sorta what the "official" thing implies
    • No, it ends up n the forums anyway
    • Other (please specify)

Squad nicely demonstrates the difference between marketing and useful support - and that they're a marketing company first.

Marketing is all about getting the message 'out there' to all sorts of different communities: using complete twitter, face-slap book, didn't read it and every other channel you can think of to reach people who wouldn't otherwise visit your official source.

Support would centralise the information first, then advertise its availability. You need a company that's concentrating on its current customers for that though.

Squad nicely demonstrates the difference between marketing and useful support - and that they're a marketing company first.

Marketing is all about getting the message 'out there' to all sorts of different communities: using complete twitter, face-slap book, didn't read it and every other channel you can think of to reach people who wouldn't otherwise visit your official source.

Support would centralise the information first, then advertise its availability. You need a company that's concentrating on its current customers for that though.

The problem with this is why would anyone not already in the KSP community be following the producer of KSP?

I voted "yes" because this is the official forum. This is where the official news goes.

That being said, unless there's some fine print in the employment contract that says otherwise, why cant the devs utilize their own "PR resources" like twitter and facebook etc etc? As long as it all ends up here anyway, I'm really not against getting info from a tweet.

Besides, one way or another, someone usually posts said info-bits on the forums so...

Pecan, the marketing approach you are describing implies that the intel is also ( and maybe before than in anywhere else ) in the official source ;) NOT that you put it everywhere but in the official channel and wait that fans will bring it to the official channel. Or maybe the "official channel" of SQUAD is everywhere but the forums ? :/

They're trying to sell their product. I would think they would want to make it easy for someone interested in their product to be informed. Having us jump around to a number of non-KSP related websites to personally gather data is ridiculous. Alot of devs do this nowadays and as someone who doesn't use social media, reddit etc, it drives me nuts.

I voted no. Revealing information across multiple sites/platforms encourages discussion and helps build hype. It's exciting to discover information rather than having it spoon-fed all in one place, and the information always makes it back here anyway.

It's like a game we can all play! Fun!

#sarcasm

While "it would be nice" if someone posting a new thing elsewhere would remember to link it here, The info does end up back here, very quickly. So, I don't think there's a problem that needs solving. The greatest and most detailed info is almost always posted here: Devnote Tuesday, and behind-the-scenes blogs & articles.

Yes, but they share very little info there compared with Twitter and Reddit.

Probably because those are social media platform and doesn't require a formal format, where they can just toss out anything relevant at the time, instead of having to write up a formal announcement, which is kind of the thing they would need to do for official stuff.

The problem is, the official source is only getting the info if a forum user posts it. Max didn't come in here and post about his recent tweet or Reddit post.

Nothing wrong with posting news on multiple media. But if there is ONE place where news should ALWAYS be posted it is right here. THIS is the KSP forum.

Many people, like me, don't use reddit, facebook or twitter. But KSP fans do use kerbalspaceprogram.com. Posting news on a 3rd party medium and not here is, for the lack of a better word insulting.

IMO it is a far more pleasant experience to read Max's Twitter feed than most posts in this forum. Everytime a new feature is announced here it takes an average of two or three posts for the discussion to turn into a "this-is-dumb-and-every-Squad-decision-is-dumb-they-should-just-do-things-my-way" rant.

IMO it is a far more pleasant experience to read Max's Twitter feed than most posts in this forum. Everytime a new feature is announced here it takes an average of two or three posts for the discussion to turn into a "this-is-dumb-and-every-Squad-decision-is-dumb-they-should-just-do-things-my-way" rant.

And in what that has to do with having the intel here or not? The fact that the intel is here does not make the Maxmaps post in twitter to automagically disapear. But the fact that it isn't here makes that people that can't ( remember that some countries block or censor a lot of social media ) or don't want to go to twitter don't get the intel until someone makes the community manager job and posts that intel here ...

And in what that has to do with having the intel here or not? The fact that the intel is here does not make the Maxmaps post in twitter to automagically disapear. But the fact that it isn't here makes that people that can't ( remember that some countries block or censor a lot of social media ) or don't want to go to twitter don't get the intel until someone makes the community manager job and posts that intel here ...

Just saying that I can see why the devs would rather not post here very often.

Meh, I see twitter (and reddit) often for posting teases, devNotes for posting announcements. I'll eat a hat if there is nothing in the devNotes about the item he tweeted about. So you have to wait a few more hours to get a (probably) more expansive explanation here. It's not like they're just flat out not announcing it on the forum.

Having said that, a twitter thing like what Mojang has (which someone suggested earlier in the thread I believe) would be a nice added touch.

Also, I don't think it has to do with wanting or not wanting to post here (again, they're gonna likely say more in the devNotes later anyway). I think it has more to do with trying to engage different communities of Kerbal users in different ways. And to tease us (which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing).

But the main question IMHO still is: regardless of being a tease or not, why would twitter/facebook/reddit/whatever users have primazy over the official forum users? It is not like the devs can't post tease posts in here ... say ,something like what Maxmaps posted today in twitter with a added "more on tonight devNotes" ;) It would literally take a couple of minutes ( maybe not even a minute if you have fast hands ) and 2 Ctrl key usages :P

Edited by r_rolo1

But the main question IMHO still is: regardless of being a tease or not, why would twitter/facebook/reddit/whatever users have primazy over the official forum users? It is not like the devs can't post tease posts in here ... say ,something like what Maxmaps posted today with a added "more on tonight devNotes" ;) It would literally take a couple of minutes and 2 Ctrl key usages :P

I think, again, is exactly because this forum is considered "official" and they only want to post "official" posts instead of teasers and stuff.

But the main question IMHO still is: regardless of being a tease or not, why would twitter/facebook/reddit/whatever users have primazy over the official forum users? It is not like the devs can't post tease posts in here ... say ,something like what Maxmaps posted today in twitter with a added "more on tonight devNotes" ;) It would literally take a couple of minutes ( maybe not even a minute if you have fast hands ) and 2 Ctrl key usages :P

I'm actually not sure how well it would work here. I mean, of course they can post a one sentence post with a tease. But places like twitter, facebook, reddit, etc. I think are better suited to one sentence teases like that because they are, largely, designed exactly for that type of content. (OK, maybe not reddit, but I still think short teases work better there than here).

I think the better solution would be just showing the twitter feed on the page rather than making new threads just to tease something.

The greatest amount of new, detailed info, by comparison, is revealed to us here, in Devnote Tuesday and long-form blog articles. What we get here, in actual paragraphs, far outweighs the occasional tweet or reddit comment.

True, also the greatest amount of info about features that are near final stages.

Some better alternatives to the current system.

(A). Tell all of the staff to not speak about upcoming features on any channels.

(B). Require staff to share all info on all platforms, and notify moderators that they may be dropping an info bomb.

©. Lock threads about external info immediately, thus preventing conflict. //not my favorite by far, but an option.

I think these would be better than the current way, in which people looking to inform the forum *cough*stir trouble*cough* start a thread and it devolves int a heated argument.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.