Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum?

Yakuzi

Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum

• Yes, that's sorta what the "official" thing implies
    • No, it ends up n the forums anyway
    • Other (please specify)

@RainDreamer

That does not beat with the current SQUAD policy in posts here. Say, for example sake, the Mod Mondays posts in the Daily Kerbal, where the SQUAD user posts a link to a mod , normally with a example video added for good measure. That is much further of being a official post ( mod showcase does not imply mod endorsement, after all ) than a tease post ...

EDIT :

I'm actually not sure how well it would work here. I mean, of course they can post a one sentence post with a tease. But places like twitter, facebook, reddit, etc. I think are better suited to one sentence teases like that because they are, largely, designed exactly for that type of content. (OK, maybe not reddit, but I still think short teases work better there than here).

I think the better solution would be just showing the twitter feed on the page rather than making new threads just to tease something.

Maybe you're right, but the SQUAD user already does 1-2 line teaser posts for mods and fan twitch channels ( Mod Mondays and Twitch Thursdays, respectively ). I was just basing on previous SQUAD practice ...

Edited by r_rolo1

I should also add (as someone who sort-of, kind-of works in marketing (I don't do the actual marking but I work in a marketing department) - some of this is also probably to entice people to follow particular social media accounts and/or interact in other places. If everything is posted here, then there isn't necessarily a reason to follow on twitter. But if teases are posted on twitter, but not here (immediately anyway), then that gives a reason to follow on twitter.

Yeah, I know, that may not be 100% the best for people who mostly stick on the forums who want the same info at the same time, but there may be marketing reasons to spread it around like that.

Just saying that I can see why the devs would rather not post here very often.
It is a job, you know? They get paid and all that other "job" stuff. "Would rather not" shouldn't even enter into it. Blurting things out on twitter or reddit and then just not bothering to take the time to mirror it to the official forums is simply unprofessional.

@RainDreamer

That does not beat with the current SQUAD policy in posts here. Say, for example sake, the Mod Mondays posts in the Daily Kerbal, where the SQUAD user posts a link to a mod , normally with a example video added for good measure. That is much further of being a official post ( mod showcase does not imply mod endorsement, after all ) than a tease post ...

EDIT :

Maybe you're right, but the SQUAD user already does 1-2 line teaser posts for mods and fan twitch channels ( Mod Mondays and Twitch Thursdays, respectively ). I was just basing on previous SQUAD practice ...

True, though all of those are pretty scheduled and standardized while teaser posts are not. And teaser tweets are probably likely made 1) when they decide they're ready to reveal, and 2) to build hype for the devNotes later

If this is the official forum, then they should post here first, end of story. One doesn't sign up for an official news delivery system of any kind with the expectation of getting the relevant news second to those subscribed to a non-official delivery system.

Aside from Squad not posting news on their own site, this also popped up not too long ago:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108715

Squad asking for help in redoing the tutorials. For some reason, it was posted to reddit, and not on their own forums.

So, yeah. Why bother hosting your own forums if you're going to act as though you don't give a damn about them?

Edit:

Maxmaps and I reviewed the Reddit feedback we got on how the community thinks we should go about overhauling the tutorials...
Edited by razark

Posting news on a 3rd party medium and not here is, for the lack of a better word insulting.

This. I, and a large portion of this community, take this bad distribution of news as a slap to the face. I love Squad, I love KSP. Being disrespected like this pisses me off.

This. I, and a large portion of this community, take this bad distribution of news as a slap to the face. I love Squad, I love KSP. Being disrespected like this pisses me off.

Why do you take it so personally? Why do you take it as a sign of disrespect?

I ask because I am trying to understand. I've been a KSP player and part of the community since December 2012, and I have a great affection for this game's community, but I don't feel insulted like you and many others do.

What is incredibly stupid about this situation is that it is so easy to fix.

https://mojang.com/

What is that on the right of this page? It couldn't possibly be the combined twitter feeds of the Mojang development team could it? No, that's impossible

I'm looking at that now, and I'm seeing tweets about how one guy likes orange soda, and that John Stewart is leaving the Daily Show, and that one of the employees went on a hike this morning. If it was only posts from official twitter Squad accounts or something, maybe. I don't want to wade through personal tweets.

Maybe the other forums are more positive, I'm going to check them out. Maybe the members are responding differently to the news from SQUAD than is usually posted on the official sites,

These forums have great stuff, the exchange, the support areas, the official Devnote Tuesdays.

All I am saying is that maybe there is a reason why they openly discuss possibilities on other forums but save this one for more official news.

Let's put it another way.

Anybody remember waaay back when the KSP forums were a kind of new thing, and every other thread was about My Little Pony? And some people (me) hated reading anything about My Little Pony; we came here to read and discuss KSP. Remember when HarvesteR himself spoke up and told people to stop it, because this isn't a My Little Pony forum? That was great.

Devs. All these other communication outlets are flooded with information that is 100 times more irrelevant to KSP than even My Little Pony! I don't want to sieve through all that crap to learn about my favorite game!

Thank you.

IT SHOULD ALSO BE HERE. Preferably with a link.

That ^^^^

Ignoring the actual KSP forums is just silly. I don't want to follow Squad on Twitter (I don't want to use Twitter at all!) and Reddit is... well, nothing to do with KSP. It's fine to use all avenues of social media and BBS to spread the word, but these forums should be where it starts. This is where the 'most loyal' fanbase is, it's where we expect to be able to interact with the devs.

Edit:

Maxmaps and I reviewed the Reddit feedback we got on how the community thinks we should go about overhauling the tutorials...

I'm not gonna lie... This hurts a little...

I'm not saying they shouldn't also use other mediums like twitter or reddit but I think it's kinda sad to see the official forum seems to be so detached from official feedback. Maybe it's all the "hate" they got from us or some marketing strategy but at the very least communications on other sites should be reposted here.

That sentence makes it look like "The Community" is the reddit base and not the official forum. If not for the awesome people here I'd be wondering why I was still hanging around...

Marco (Samssonart): Maxmaps and I reviewed the Reddit feedback we got on how the community thinks we should go about overhauling the tutorials and we began working on it accordingly, the majority seems to think that in terms of number of tutorials and variety we’re not doing that bad, we’re just going to expand the basic flight tutorial to cover a whole flight to orbit, and make it less text and more action oriented, we’re also going to add a rendezvous tutorial, because a lot of people think the difficulty leap between getting to Mun and back and catching an asteroid is too big, we need that missing link to give it more continuity and easing that transition. There were a couple more things that surfaced when looking at Reddit’s opinions, most people think there are way too many key bindings to remember, which is true, although there’s not much we can do about it, since KSP is a complex game with many actions, so I thought of adding a little key binding reminder during flight, sort of what you get in fighting games, just a screen that lets you see the key bindings you currently have assigned in a case sensitive manner, e.g. if you’re on EVA you will only see the relevant key bindings for EVA, if you’re in Map View you will only see what you can do in Map View and so on, in order to prevent a wall of text that won’t be of much help. The final conclusion we drew from the survey is that some people think the docking UI mode is basically useless, but we still haven’t decided what we’re going to do about it, other than gather more intel.

unless they will also do a poll on the forums and actually look at it I'm getting bummed,

personally I find reddit horrible to follow individual posts and their replies (I don't have an account there and will probably still not use any subscribe feature either way) with its single pool of posts where topics get pushed off the first page before you can see them

The forum here is at least properly sectioned off so I can ignore parts of it (like introductions, the off-topic section etc.)

I can understand using twitter for teasers and quick, off-the-cuff announcements that don't (necessarily) merit the weight of a full forum post.

Maybe the solution is a thread in "Announcements" or "The Daily Kerbal" that gets a post added to it when a Kerbal-related tweet is made.

Other than that, it takes no less time or effort to write a Reddit (or wherever) piece than it does to post here, so it should be posted here.

At the absolute minimum, if it just has to be posted on Reddit first, it should be immediately followed up here with either a copy-paste (better IMHO, 'cause Reddit makes my eyes bleed) or a link. Again, there could be a dedicated thread for this, if they don't want to clutter up the forums with lots of little threads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.