Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum?

Yakuzi

Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should SQUAD post all KSP announcements on the official forum

• Yes, that's sorta what the "official" thing implies
    • No, it ends up n the forums anyway
    • Other (please specify)

I think it's much more reasonable to say 'I wish news were posted everywhere at the same time', which I can get behind.

I don't even mind if it is posted a bit later (to allow multi platform release of information to keep the hypetrain in fuel) as long as it gets posted here as well so that all the info gets on here at some point.

It would be great if news was released everywhere at the same time, I can get right behind that.

a few points I have to make:

1. people don't like being led around to a scavenger hunt they didn't ask for, some just don't have the time for it. I tend to read this forum on my lunch break at work and don't want to spend the time hunting down feature announcements across the web.

2. A lot of this drama could have been avoided by a s/reddit/community/ in the devnotes. I'm fairly certain the endresult of that reddit thread was a photo of a whiteboard with a selection of things to change next and indicators of popularity. There would be no reason to only poll 1 community for that input. And any reason you give about it's the subset of the community that you wanted input from is just biasing the samples.

TL;DR Thread.

Yes. As a person who doesn't use twitter & can't stand reddit, I'd expect the official site to have such announcements relating to KSP. Squad is after all an advertising agency, but perhaps they feel official updates on the official channel are too mainstream and people who want to know should go looking (time is a luxury with a family member with a terminal illness).

Firstly, if this would be more fitting for a separate thread, I apologize. Something tells me it's better here. Perhaps because this thread already discusses the relationship between the Forums and other communities like Reddit, SA, 4chan, etc.

A mixture of an idea and a question:

Would it be possible to set up an official way of giving anonymous feedback to announcements, and perhaps just in general?

Personally, I have little worthwhile feedback or ideas to give, but there are some advantages to the format for those who do - primarily that reputation and actual content are kept separate. Without fear of reputation loss or ability to gain a reputation, there's a likely inclination to post more honest feedback.

If made as an official Squad thing on the KSP site and then posted as a link to the other communities and the forums, it could allow for a wide range of feedback without splitting players into individual groups - hopefully giving a more accurate picture overall of what people want instead of having the different views of various communities. Of course, being unable to split players into groups is disadvantageous in some ways too, but I assume if a group is relevant then that can be asked for that information when giving feedback (ie, if interested in the views of newer players, ask for people giving feedback to say how long they've had the game when doing so.)

I'm unable to take this further at the moment, towards suggesting actual ways of implementing an anonymous system because different ways have different advantages and disadvantages. (A forum-style would allow for discussion, but has risks if people make inappropriate posts, a survey or simple feedback form where the only people to view it are the sender and Squad would remove that disadvantage, but also removes the ability to read discuss feedback.) So this is just a general idea.

Oh - as a secondary advantage, by being linked directly to here and to other sites, perhaps small pieces of information posted elsewhere would come into view for the forum users more rapidly.

text

Exactly, i don't know why he loves and pushes it so much, hell even the organization is a mess, i don't know how people can use so much. It doesn't help the voting system can easily be used for mobs to censor criticism they don't like, unless you are some kind of "Elite" user and the community takes everything you say as a Holy word

Wait, what do you mean you aren't talking about reddit?

Firstly, I didn't read the whole thread, so something similar might have been said before. But after reading that twitter post about additional Daily Kerbals I thought wouldn't it be possible to make something like a "Recap Sunday"?

Something like a link list pointing to interesting stuff. I think the Daily Kerbal probably has the biggest reach into the different parts of the Kerbal community (okay, this is blind guess) so it might be a nice place for gathering interesting bits of informations, discussions and whatever else from everywhere. So for example someone reviewed KSP. Put a link there. Or there is an interesting post by a developer discussed on reddit (or 4chan, or the forum). You get the idea, I hope.

I get that this is probably quite a significant amount of work to put together but I thought I share this.

A fool and his money are easily parted. Squad should be free to post whatever announcement they want, wherever they think it makes the most money.

Most people interested in Rocket Science tend to not be fools. Though this thread might be proof that statement is wrong.

Most people interested in Rocket Science tend to not be fools. Though this thread might be proof that statement is wrong.

Whether or not a person's interests influences his intelligence is not the topic here i don't think. Squad's freedom to post whatever and wherever they want is.

Whether or not a person's interests influences his intelligence is not the topic here i don't think. Squad's freedom to post whatever and wherever they want is.

But you said a fool and his money are easily parted? That infers that Squad should advertise to fools. This isn't about Squads marketing strategy, it's about whether official announcements should be posted across all of Squads platforms.

I am a fool for expecting relevant information about a topic to be at said topics website. Thank you for informing me.

That's a new level of taking a comment out of context.

It was -very clearly- directed at:

A fool and his money are easily parted. Squad should be free to post whatever announcement they want, wherever they think it makes the most money.

Roadkill also happens to be correct. Squad is not the only game producer to take to using Reddit over their own forums, and with good reason.

Edited by Randazzo

Absolutely. Look at the main webpage. If you go to the community heading all it lists is the wiki, the forum, and curse. They don't even mention their twitter accounts or anything else. A little icon in the top left corner of the screen is easily missed and quite insufficient if that's where they're going to post a lot of their latest information.

That's a new level of taking a comment out of context.

I was generally aiming that comment at both parties. I apologize for taking "Though this thread might be proof that statement is wrong." as implication that there may be something wrong with this thread as a whole. Perhaps I'm jumping at shadows.

Though I am somewhat proud of being at a whole new level. Onward and upward as they say.

I was generally aiming that comment at both parties. I apologize for taking "Though this thread might be proof that statement is wrong." as implication that there may be something wrong with this thread as a whole. Perhaps I'm jumping at shadows.

Though I am somewhat proud of being at a whole new level. Onward and upward as they say.

If the faux-humble dramatics work for you, roll with it I guess.

That was supposed to be something of a jab at the way this thread turned into a simple question and answer thread into a bashing of Squads' presence on other forums, etc. People started acting like fools, not necessarily proof that they are though. Specifying that this includes myself for fairness.

Edited by Robotengineer

I get what you're saying, but I also think we're putting a lot of weight behind the 'official' word here. Is our official twitter less or more official than the forum? If tomorrow we have a meeting with the /r/kerbalspaceprogram moderators and designated them our official subreddit, where would that be placed in the hierarchy?

I think it's much more reasonable to say 'I wish news were posted everywhere at the same time', which I can get behind.

Hi Max, that is exactly was I(we) feel is needed.

So far this is what happens: you say something on tweeter, some user sees it and makes a post in the general forum, then some users complain you are not addressing to this forum.

A solution would be to have the CM or you to copy every message into the forum, or maybe have a tweeter plugin in the forum or something like that, so we can get access to all the relevant information from this site.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.