Louisiana Paddle Boat Rover

if you add a hull and jet engines it can be a real boat :D Nice tho, love the colors.

Also, if you want something put into space, you can click my sig - i've got a few that are probably way overpowered for what you're trying to put into space.

So.....holy smokes. I've never seen anything like what is in that thread. I'm never going to sleep again, and I feel a little intimidated now because I didn't realize I was surrounded by geniuses!

Dude! These things that people have made are too cool, thanks for sharing. You make some really creative crafts. Do you ever make videos? I love those battle ships and your war fighter planes. Reminds me of the old school models my grandpa would make. Good stuff.

These things!

fjsqOvA.jpg3pNnk9N.jpgesG5q0B.pngqMAqgqp.pngwEhgcnZ.png?1bn9Js9q.png

So.....holy smokes. -snip-

Thanks :cool: I do have a channel @TheIcemanFiles but it's only a few videos ATM.

Would that be possible?! If there was an example of someone using parts to make a functional rotary mechanic it would blow my mind.

I can do both the drum and the hull if you want to show you. Can I has Download?

Edited by zekes

Would that be possible?! If there was an example of someone using parts to make a functional rotary mechanic it would blow my mind.

You can find one of the bast stock rotors/propellers/rotatory thingies here. The idea is to make a bearing with, say, landing gears, then putting reaction wheels on the moving part and have them going with trim (ALT+WASD).

Rune. Now go forth and engineer!

Thanks :cool: I do have a channel @TheIcemanFiles but it's only a few videos ATM.

I can do both the drum and the hull if you want to show you. Can I has Download?

Okay I've never shared one of my ships before so hopefully I'm doing this right. I put it on my google drive. A couple minor adjustments were made so the kerbals could walk around and go up to the second floor. I tried for so long to get it to Duna today. I failed miserably though so it wouldn't hurt to make it better. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ZzfwVJ-MqfOE1FM3J6b0dwQjQ/view?usp=sharing

Rune - that is so cool! I can't believe that someone thought of that and also can't believe I haven't seen it yet.

Basically my biggest accomplishment so far has been getting a tuna to orbit duna. I know it's small fry (yes pun intended). But kind of funny, eh? I want to make better things though so it's so nice to have people give their input.

Classic E.T. shot

tE6NuQF.png

FlpmJaK.png

Okay I've never shared one of my ships before so hopefully I'm doing this right. I put it on my google drive. A couple minor adjustments were made so the kerbals could walk around and go up to the second floor. I tried for so long to get it to Duna today. I failed miserably though so it wouldn't hurt to make it better. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ZzfwVJ-MqfOE1FM3J6b0dwQjQ/view?usp=sharing

perfect - getting things to Duna is the first step in the road to bigger payloads.

All right Little Katie:

Do you know about symmetry? Hitting "X" will allow you to mirror things (I noticed almost everything isn't symmetrical so i had to put each piece in individually.

Also, I made the ship jet powered because it was easier, it's got reasonable speed, sits a little low in the water but nothing bad - it looks pretty good from low angles. It has wheels so you can just drive it to water. I'll strap it to a rocket soon for you.

Its midnight here so I apologize beforehand in case my craft doesn't work quite right, and KSP is crashing every ship launch -_-

Download: https://www./?qqxersp1vsdafdn

uSEHWJQ.png

JzcLheY.png

Oh my god that is awesome! I should have checked this earlier, I was so busy once I found out about that Valentina contest that I didn't do anything else for most of the week (other than work anyway).

I wondered what you would think of the construction. I was working on the new one but I think the most I'm getting out of it is how to build-or how much I don't know how to build. Out of everything in the game that is challenging (like getting to mun, etc) I face more challenge with building because I don't fully understand the controls. Like symmetry, most of the time I try to use it and the different modes only allow me to put things around the thing I'm touching. I don't know how people use it to their advantage.

I will have the controls wiki thing up on my second monitor while I play but often the more abstract concepts don't register with me until I see someone else doing it. And many popular video channels speed through construction or talk about the parts because that's what more folks tend to be interested in. I don't want to sound like a noob who asks for help before putting in effort (because of the type of questions), and honestly I feel embarrassed about seeming dumb when I don't understand the help people take time to offer. It's just that I'm dyslexic, but I am really good with things audio/visual.

I will have to look for more videos specifically on construction, I didn't realize how much I was missing until you guys pointed out some of these things. So I really appreciate that a lot.

Oh my god that is awesome! I should have checked this earlier, I was so busy once I found out about that Valentina contest that I didn't do anything else for most of the week (other than work anyway).

I wondered what you would think of the construction. I was working on the new one but I think the most I'm getting out of it is how to build-or how much I don't know how to build. Out of everything in the game that is challenging (like getting to mun, etc) I face more challenge with building because I don't fully understand the controls. Like symmetry, most of the time I try to use it and the different modes only allow me to put things around the thing I'm touching. I don't know how people use it to their advantage.

I will have the controls wiki thing up on my second monitor while I play but often the more abstract concepts don't register with me until I see someone else doing it. And many popular video channels speed through construction or talk about the parts because that's what more folks tend to be interested in. I don't want to sound like a noob who asks for help before putting in effort (because of the type of questions), and honestly I feel embarrassed about seeming dumb when I don't understand the help people take time to offer. It's just that I'm dyslexic, but I am really good with things audio/visual.

I will have to look for more videos specifically on construction, I didn't realize how much I was missing until you guys pointed out some of these things. So I really appreciate that a lot.

Did you build it in VAB or SPH? The game started in VAB, with radial symmetry - where everything connects around a spine. in SPH, however, it's only mirrored around a flat plane that is vertical and runs down the length of the middle, so you can make symmetrical planes. For a ship, use the SPH, and you can build around a central part (as I assume you did) so just set it up and then build one side -the other side will build itself!

Here's an old video that might help:

The radial symmetry with rockets totally clicks with me, but SPH...you can use symmetry to build the other side?! I was using alt-click and then getting all flustered about how you would turn the part to make it fit. Duh, wow. :cool:

I was wondering about building boats. I'm guessing you make them pointy because it's all around better in the water. Are there parts that stop working when they touch water? Like is it written into any of the parts to short circuit like in real life, or is it the force of smacking onto the water that will break them? I have put things in the water before and seen them break but not sure about why. And one more thing, do you always leave the bottom open? Where it's like an upside down cup with the cargo weighting on top, is that what makes them float? I loaded the ship and was just thinking, wow that's pretty smart.

The radial symmetry with rockets totally clicks with me, but SPH...you can use symmetry to build the other side?! I was using alt-click and then getting all flustered about how you would turn the part to make it fit. Duh, wow. :cool:

I was wondering about building boats. I'm guessing you make them pointy because it's all around better in the water. Are there parts that stop working when they touch water? Like is it written into any of the parts to short circuit like in real life, or is it the force of smacking onto the water that will break them? I have put things in the water before and seen them break but not sure about why. And one more thing, do you always leave the bottom open? Where it's like an upside down cup with the cargo weighting on top, is that what makes them float? I loaded the ship and was just thinking, wow that's pretty smart.

Shape actually doesnt matter with boats, nor does short circuting. the problem is that KSP's water is harder than land - it will tear a ship apart if it hits too hard. It's because while hitting land the parts that break slow you down, but water does not.

The solutions of ships is to use high- impact parts on the water - that means don't let fuel tanks and engines touch it. The ship's shape doesnt need to be pointed, it can be square even, just as long as it sits well - I just make the pointed shape to make it look better.

Yes, the bottom is left open to reduce drag, because a closed hull isn't needed in KSP - the parts themselves float enough to work. also, putting radial intakes on the bottom of the hull (the parts under the water) reduces drag, which is really important on a ship.

That's boats in a nutshell - there's a lot more to it (like nuclear power and submarines), but you might not understand it at this point - but if you need help just ask me, I'm First Sea Lord for a reason :)

~Zekes

7luwkSl.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.