Looking for ideas...

Candlelight

To start this off, I have to say that i immensly want to make a mod.But all of the ideas that i've come up with have been either made or will be made.

The only mod i wanted to make that i thought wasn't made was an oxidizer propoulsion part system which essentialy adds full-on oxidizer tanks and engines that burn only oxidizer(and which are very efficient).

So i am looking for fresh ideas from anyone...feel free to submit one. ;)

Until then, see ya!

I would suggest a mod that changes the spring and damper settings on the Rover wheels, so you can tune them to work in different kinds of gravity and different loads.

Currently the suspension is way too stiff for low gravity worlds.

It would be just a right-click menu box with options to soften or stiffen the suspension.

That is something i have liked to see since the wheels were introduced :)

I would like to see a mod that adds climate control to crew parts so they have heaters and A/C to keep them at a good temp why there in space so they don't freeze or get burned up.

I have a WIP mod that has exactly that among other things. Pre-release available here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108591-WIP-0-90-Pre-Release-AmpYear-Power-Manager-Reserve-Power-Ion-RCS-v0-12

Work on what you want. It's no fun if you're just working to work with no personal investment in what you're doing. :)

Many go for hard core realism and, to a point (some of my ships) are doing the same. But, currently, I'm working on old TV show spaceships to add to the Kerbal universe. Why? Because it's FUN and that is important. :)

So many modders making absolutely phenomenal mods already but who cares. Focus on what you want, even if there are 10 other mods like it. If anything, you can lean back and say "I made that." Useful to others, maybe not but what you learned will help you on your next mod. And, by the time you've finished your first one, you'll have an idea/brain storm/head slap moment, and say 'THAT is what I want to make!"

So, go back to my first line and follow it. :)

KSP is a damned fun game, stock or crowded with mods. And, like asteroids, you can never have too many mods.

(shutting up now, have fun)

• 2 months later...

With the new re-entry mechanics in 1.x I just came looking for a part that I think would be useful.

the deployable grid fins currently being used on the SpaceX boosters for re-entry would be very helpful keeping oversized craft from spinning around durring re-entry.

here is a good picture on a MOAB (i think)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/MOAB_grid_fins.jpg

here is someone that designed on out of stock parts. but I don't that functions correctly as a steerable fin part

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112710-Deployable-grid-fins-tests-%28now-with-Micro-Hinge-Technology-!%29?highlight=Deployable+grid+fins

If this is something you can build that would be great. given enough time I might get around to it but I dont have a Mod workflow setup yet so it take quite awhile

Let me know what you think.

What do you think about a KSP 1.0 version of the Interstellar mod? It's something really missing at the moment. FreeThinker is working on Interstellar Extended, that's more a RO version of the original Fractal_UK work.

I think many of us would like to use the Classic one in the new KSP.

How about taking over ReStock? With Squad doing an even bigger moving and renaming of files, it will need quite a bit of editing to get it working again. (Same as *every* other release from .23 through .90.) Also there are the new changes for drag and drag shielding and more. Might also need some node position adjusting *again* so some of the compound parts will fit together properly.

Some (more) parts will be obsoleted by new stock parts, but there's also the potential to CFG mod many of the new parts to make more sizes. Perhaps upsize that new offset nosecone for Rockomax and Kerbodyne diameter.

You could dive right into learning the part CFG format (.90 and earlier and 1.0.x and later) and the only tool you'll need is a text editor.

The best way to go about updating ReStock now would be to toss in one part at a time and edit the .cfg to make it work. Once you have a few done then it will be easier to do the rest. The updates I did were mostly a mad rush to find what Squad had moved to where and what/if they'd changed the file names.

Once I had the parts showing in inventory again, then I'd look for nodes needing tweaked and in some cases I'd have to write instructions for copying some stock files to new locations because for some reason it doesn't work to reference stock parts in a folder containing more than one part - for example the liquid fuel drop tanks where the fuel fuselage and structural fuselage are in the same folder. If you can figure out a workaround so stock files don't need duplicated by the person installing the mod, that would make it easier to use.

So anyone who wants to take over ReStock, just download the .90 version linked in my sig and let me know. Put it on Kerbalstuff when you have it ready to use. Major thanks to PolecatEZ - Restock was the first mod I used, back in .21.

P.S. Suggestions for additions to ReStock for 1.0.x, Airbrakes that are not usable for steering, only slowing down, and don't have any contribution to drag or lift when not deployed - like real world air brakes. Copies of all the 'lego' wing panels with no lift and minimal drag, possibly reduced weight so players can go back to sculpting nice looking models of the F-22. Name suggestion, ReStock ReForged.

Edited by Galane

If you're still looking for ideas, I propose a small stock expansion pack:

A Mk1 two kerbal passenger module

A Mk3 Clampotron module

A deployable comm tower to mount communotrons on

A Radially mountable Mk2 section, for mounting Mk2 based engine pods on the side of Mk3 fuselages

I've already done a hybrid rocket motor mod (feel free to expand on it if you like the idea, link is in my signature).

As far as other ideas, I guess it depends on what aspect of modding you want to focus on.

If you just want to deal with configs, as others have said, take up an abandoned pre-1.0 part mod with an appropriate license that lets you update it, and then update and balance it for 1.0.

For making parts, there's been some very good suggestions for new parts, one thing I can think of right now that I haven't seen done is some kind of electric racecar wheel that can be used to build high speed ground vehicles instead of being forced to use landing gear due to the low max speed of the existing powered wheels.

For a plugin/partmod combo, maybe deployable wings/guide fins. I want to build a plane that fits in a cargo bay, but I haven't seen any mods that do good folding wings. I can hack something together with infernal robotics but then you get a bunch of extra wobble in flight.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.