KSP 1.0 General Thread + All the new features

Daze

i would like to see the update postponed a bit while they switch to unity 5 where 64bit is not a problem anymore. And it looks way better then unity 4.

The most you'd get visually is from the new standard physically-based shader, but it's not like it's going to magically improve the existing shaders/textures/models/etc.

You still would have to go through every new shader in the game and update them. All of them. Every single one.

I've been playing around with Unity 5 since it released and am finding a huge amount of stuff common in old versions has been made obsolete. Every reference to those functions will have to be redone. Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if they decide not to upgrade to U5 at all, because it will be an enormous undertaking by any standard.

NovaSilisko: I can see where you're coming from. I do kinda hope you're wrong, because it sounds like upgrading to U5 after releasing 1.0 would, at bare minimum, be a good thing. I would hope that if they do decide to go that route that they take the opportunity to heavily optimize the existing structures of the game using the new tools at their disposal.

I've been playing around with Unity 5 since it released and am finding a huge amount of stuff common in old versions has been made obsolete. Every reference to those functions will have to be redone. Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if they decide not to upgrade to U5 at all, because it will be an enormous undertaking by any standard.

That would mean that the game's graphical and physics engines would never be updated again, as Unity 4 is EOL. So they have to upgrade. I think 1.0 gives them a great opportunity to do so. They can fix bugs on U4 while most of their effort is focused on upgrading to U5.

I'm not too fussed about Unity 5 for KSP 0.27.

However, I do think Squad should reconsider going "gold" until they port the game over to Unity 5, as it is likely to cause some* inconsistencies between engine versions. Unfortunately, it seems that "being uncomfortable in beta" carries more weight than releasing a version that is as up to date a possible engine-wise. Particularly if I were to believe Max's tweet from just over a month ago:

Mhm, i don't know why but i think that 1.0 is just some weeks away from us.

I think we're a while from Experimentals, and this Experimentals will be the longest yet. I really don't think we have a way to know how close or far we are from anything.

I think we're a while from Experimentals, and this Experimentals will be the longest yet. I really don't think we have a way to know how close or far we are from anything.

Yes i know, just speculating a little bit since i read post of some guys that think that 1.0 will come out in maybe September and that thing sounded a little bit crazy to me :P

Just an FYI: you can change the SUPER SECRET PROJECT in the OP to 3D printing of crafts, possibly from in-game.

I've never been less hyped or excited for a feature, tbh. For the moment, it's US only, expensive as hell and stock parts only. Once it supports a load of mods, ships to the UK, is priced a bit lower, only then will I be slightly more excited. I can't believe they're adding an option to upload from in-game, talk about immersion breaking or what. "Hey, you forgot parachutes on this craft and the hatch is blocked! Also, you can hold a real life version of this in your hand by clicking here!"

My completely uninformed guess is late April, just to mess with college students' finals two terms in a row. :D

Ah man. I totally forgot about that. That was such a struggle. Fortunately, I shouldn't have any finals this year at that time (graduating, in internship).

Full releases don't have placeholder graphics. I think it's safe to assume we'll get our IVAs.

Kappa?

Which will mean even less ram available for anything else... One of the best ways to save ram is to remove the IVA files as they use ALOT of ram and current version already has significantly increased stability issues with mods thanks to the new features using up most of the ram that 32bit version can allocate.

Which will mean even less ram available for anything else... One of the best ways to save ram is to remove the IVA files as they use ALOT of ram and current version already has significantly increased stability issues with mods thanks to the new features using up most of the ram that 32bit version can allocate.

Then play stock and not with any mods, especially not with any graphical mods whats the problem ?

So Squad should leave all empty IVA empty for the sake of RAM?

So why add new parts for resource? Simply change che cfg for the antenna and make it able to drill!

So why add Mk3 parts? Simply leave the old one of C7 and voilà

So why take all the existent IVA? Remove them all!

People are strange, why not argue about the pro of making tanks procedural (which will be a serious improvement for RAM) instead of just thinking about not finishing the IVA?

I don't think boxman went as far as saying what he thought Squad should do, it looked like a grumble that less memory would be available when the new IVA's are put in our hands. He seemed to suggest in a generic way, that IVA files could be removed (by players perhaps,) to save some memory.

If I may change the subject:

Daze, I had a suggestion for the OP 1.0 list, in post #87. Please check, and thanks :)

The best way to go (if anything) would be installation or configuration options, to put the question of game features in the hands of players. If IVA's were disabled, the blank screen in their place, could have an "enable this feature?" button on it (which would take Squad down the road of on-demand loading of textures, a frequent request in the suggestions forum.)

Translation: I don't expect this will happen for 1.0, and everyone will get the new IVA's.