KSP 1.0 General Thread + All the new features

Daze

Is there a way to see delta V? I probably missed that in the preview vids.

It doesn't look like there will be. Either it's because streamers/youtubers are in the 'I don't want to see DV' crowd, or it's just not there.

It wasn't in the engineer's report that Das showed before I abandoned watching the stream. As far as I can tell, there's no built in dV report still. Looks like I'll be installing KER right after 1.0 finishes downloading.

It wasn't in the engineer's report that Das showed before I abandoned watching the stream. As far as I can tell, there's no built in dV report still. Looks like I'll be installing KER right after 1.0 finishes downloading.

That's if it's ready by then.

Myself, I'll be downloading MJ, though why not both anyway.

That's if it's ready by then.

Myself, I'll be downloading MJ, though why not both anyway.

Not a fan of MechJeb, personally. I've gotten quite familiar with the KER interface and would prefer to keep using it when it's available.

So how much harder do missions to Duna, Laythe, and Eve get with this aerodynamics update? I have to imagine that if re-entry heating around Duna is significant enough to destroy parts, then missions there are going to involve a lot more moving parts (kinda like the problems the Mars rovers faced).

So how much harder do missions to Duna, Laythe, and Eve get with this aerodynamics update? I have to imagine that if re-entry heating around Duna is significant enough to destroy parts, then missions there are going to involve a lot more moving parts (kinda like the problems the Mars rovers faced).

Here's hoping. KSP was way too easy for me before. The only challenge was that I pushed the margins paper-thin and then frequently forgot at all the limitations I'd put on myself to get those margins so thin.

Depends on how you slow down in the higher atmosphere. Those tiny chutes looked incredibly powerful, just as the airbrakes. Come in shallow and manage to lose enough speed in high atmosphere, and reentry shouldn't pose much of a problem. Targeting specific landing sites could get a bit harder, though.

What I'd like is an actual reason to drogue chutes.

You may have your reason. They looked extremely effective the one time I saw them used. They weren't strictly necessary there but I could see a situation (ie, more than just the mk1 command pod coming down) where they could be quite useful.

i just saw the stream today and now i have a question. The Nerva now only uses liquid fuel - great!. But are there also new fuel tanks ingame? I mean it would be not very suitable to use this 1,25m LF-Tanks and all the big tanks have oxi. You can empty that of course but you waste a lot of space and mass with just an half full tank.

i just saw the stream today and now i have a question. The Nerva now only uses liquid fuel - great!. But are there also new fuel tanks ingame? I mean it would be not very suitable to use this 1,25m LF-Tanks and all the big tanks have oxi. You can empty that of course but you waste a lot of space and mass with just an half full tank.

That's what I was thinking, I like that the nuke only uses LX, expect for the fact that we cant completely fill a fuel tank with only LF.....

That's what I was thinking, I like that the nuke only uses LX, expect for the fact that we cant completely fill a fuel tank with only LF.....

You have plenty of MK3 tanks with only LF, yes we should have an LF only version of the 720 and 360 liter 2.5 meter tank too as its fits inside an MK3 plane.

This also make an spaceplane with LV-N and jets more relevant.

Not all planets endure the same amount of asteroid bombardment, especially ones close to gas giants.

Unlike what's been thrown over the media outlets in the last few years, gas giants do not save anyone. They change orbits of such small lumps of rock. They are not vacuum cleaners because that's now how orbits work.

MechJeb will be needing a serious rewrite for 1.0; I will be waiting...I am glad I dont depend totally on D/V for my calculations...trial and error SIMS are so nice...

Cmdr Zeta

Everything who happens inside an atmosphere yes, outside not much changes. For launch it looks like we can pretty much ignore atmosphere.

Landing and aerobrake will be far harder, probably be better to just use estimated values.

"*New SPH/VAB GUI to help with the aerodynamic stability of the craft (a simplified version of the graphics in FAR)"

I am seeing zero indication of this in the streams.

Has anybody asked about that in the streams?

Maybe it's something that got dropped.

About the only thing different that I see is that the COL has arrows on it.

Edit: Okay, I asked on the stream and someone said that HarvestR had talked about it earlier, but it's nowhere to be seen.

Maybe it's a WIP that they are trying to polish and arent ready to show yet?

Edited by smjjames

let's be honest, there were 3 streamers on till now. Noone had any real clue whats new, what you can do now, what the new features are. I understand that there will be many more hours to whatch but i feel i wasted a lot of time because the new preview-videos just showed the same stuff and even more.

"*New SPH/VAB GUI to help with the aerodynamic stability of the craft (a simplified version of the graphics in FAR)"

I am seeing zero indication of this in the streams.

I came here to ask about that as well. Not only have I not seen it mentioned in any streams, but I also feel like I haven't heard about it in the devnotes or Squadcast for quite a while. Over the past few weeks they'd talk about various features here and there, but I kinda stopped hearing anything about that one at some point, like they dropped it and just decided to not mention it and hope no one would notice. I hope that's not the case, I've never been very good at building spaceplanes and was counting on that to help me out.

let's be honest, there were 3 streamers on till now. Noone had any real clue whats new, what you can do now, what the new features are. I understand that there will be many more hours to whatch but i feel i wasted a lot of time because the new preview-videos just showed the same stuff and even more.

Yeah, I don't think any of them got around to the mining.

Of the people streaming, I think only Scott Manley has done experimentials? Actually I think Das Valdez has, and a few others...

Edit: Okay, I asked on the stream and someone said that HarvestR had talked about it earlier, but it's nowhere to be seen.

Hah I saw you ask that, but didn't see the answer. I also asked on the same stream a few minutes earlier and didn't see an answer to mine either.

First dV readouts, then this. Yay, more critical information dropped :/

DeltaV readouts doesn't seem like it'd be something hard to do, I have no idea why it was dropped.

It's entirely possible that the ones they are playing doesn't have that activated because SQUAD doesn't want to show those yet.

What really makes me wonder is why all the streamers up until now have so great problems with spaceplanes and overheating on launch (to say nothing about reentry). In FAR+ Deadly Reentry it was a distinct learning curve to handle the heat with the right launch / reentry angle, speed and such plus some new lessons about building spaceplanes. But from what i have seen in 1.0 it seems that the cockpits and wings dont show any heatshielding at all. Is this correct? Or is it simply the problem of these people transitioning from the soup to some kind of legit athmosphere?