[0.90] ESLD Jump Beacons - KMs fork [Dev 0.3c]

Kielm

This is a fork of TMarkos' original work on ESLD Jump Beacons - the original thread can be found here.

I have requested permission from TMarkos to continue his work but I have yet to receive a response. All credit goes to him - all I've done is add a few fixes and updated to 0.90 - including a fix originally by PolySoup. His original version, updated for 0.90 with a few fixes, is linked below.

It is my intention to keep his original version available should he ever want it back, and continue with my own branch until that happens.

From the original mod page:

---

Javascript is disabled. View full album

These are not cheaty, easy jump beacons. They incorporate:

• Line of sight checking.
  • Gravity restrictions (also checked under LoS).
  • Incredibly costly fuel. More on that in a second.
  • Scaling fuel costs with tonnage/distance.
  • Tech advancements that allow increased capability.
  • Proximity requirements for activation.
  • Unique beacon models optimized for different transport scenarios.
  • The general process to use this network is to place at least two beacons, then approach one with a hailer (currently just MM'd into the stock antennas). The hailer allows you to open a dialog window with the active beacon, where it will tell you what other active beacons it can see and if it has enough fuel to send you there. Assuming it does on both counts, press the button and off you go.

Fuel is an important consideration, because it's what keeps the beacon system balanced in career mode. True to the maxim that you can choose two from the list of fast, cheap and high-quality, the jump fuel that makes the system tick is incredibly costly, to the extent that most transfers the beacon system performs are more expensive than or comparable to traditional rocketry-based solutions. Time is the ONLY thing you save with beacons, and some players may even plow more into logistics than they would otherwise have cause to do if they feel like maintaining an accessible and fueled beacon network at all times.

I'll put this here for my own sanity: if you're playing career, at the start your beacons won't be able to safely transport Kerbals, Karborundum or a variety of other high-energy resources. There will be warnings in the pre-jump window if something bad is about to happen. READ THE WARNINGS.

---

Dependencies

• Module Manager (bundled)
  • Community Resource Pack (bundled)

Recommended Mods

This mod is designed to work with RoverDude's Karbonite and K+ (linked).

If you have neither Karbonite nor K+ installed, the fuel is made available (at great cost).

If you have Karbonite but not K+, an MM patch is included to make the distiller convert fuel from large amounts of Karbonite.

If you have Karbonite and K+ installed (recommended), you'll have to find it yourself!

Download

GitHub (0.3c) This is the original version made 0.90-compatible, with some fixes.

Installation Instructions: Place the contents of the zipped GameData folder into your own GameData folder.

Source(GitHub)

Wiki

Known Issues/Incompatibilities

• Minor issues with part animations
  • Some ORS High-Value resources (UF4 etc from Interstellar) are not yet picked up - this will be addressed in the next patch

Feedback,bug reports and suggestions are all appreciated. If you want something worked in, let me know!

Changelog

2015-02-13 0.3c
- Recompiled for 0.90
- Fixed attachment nodes on beacons
- Fixed animation on beacons (some minor issues remain)
- CTT Support (The nodes may change - consider it WIP)

New Branch Development Plans

• Part Cost Rebalance
  • Update Parts and Textures
  • Rework resource requirements

Released under the GPL2 license (same as with the original mod).

Edited by Kielm
Updated Imgur album

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Kielm, thanks for bringing this mod back. I've always been wanting to try it out, and in doing so I noticed somethings. The texture are missing on the AMU and the LB=10 however the normal map seems to be fine

mvAGTCI.png

1lydYU8.png

Also all the fuel tanks and beacons fall through the launchpad.

HxZgNVL.png

Other then those issues it functions great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.