Squadcast Summary (2015-02-14) - The Valenti-nope Edition

BudgetHedgehog

Squad, can you please publish the details of the 1.0 aerodynamics model (how you compute lift, drag, atmospheric pressure and density, things like that) when the new release drops? Those of us who write code based on the stock areodynamics model will need some information to update things properly. :)

I don't know why people were worried about 1.0, it sounds like Squad is sticking to their precedent of releasing good, quality updates.

It could be a bit more challenging if we need to remember the overlay, or switch between ships, while steering to land parts for resource extraction.

They could do that if they were comfortable with artificial difficulty and bad design decisions. Why not just overlay it onto the map view permanently?

Edited by AlternNocturn

the old 45@10k ascent will still likely work, but won't be the most efficient, due in part to the huge rebalancing. But yeah, should be fun to relearn how to do it properly.. Still "kinda sucks though".

Broken aerodynamics confirmed.

ObsessedWithKSP: I really, really, really like this image.

Nice meme!

Edited by RobotsAndSpaceships

"We might actually need PreciseNode in the game" says Max
Ya think? That's why it was the second mod of its type when I wrote it back in 0.20 and why it took literally no time for me to find someone to hand it off to. I mean, the maneuver node gizmo is a great idea in and of itself, but it needs some serious functionality work. Oh, and we need more information. Yeah, more information. THat thing we're starved for constantly in KSP. Information.

...we need more information...
that's the line they dance around: experienced players want some dV info, but would you want "mechjeb level" additional info screens and number spewing widgets, in the base game? The UI can get cluttered in a big hurry. How about flight automation? They have been holding a line on what is 'too much' for stock. How much, is too much?

that's the line they dance around: experienced players want some dV info, but would you want "mechjeb level" additional info screens and number spewing widgets, in the base game? The UI can get cluttered in a big hurry. How about flight automation? They have been holding a line on what is 'too much' for stock. How much, is too much?
Look at how Engineer and VOID do it, unobtrusive additional information where needed. Hell, it'd be nice to have the Argument of Periapsis of your orbit, but when it comes down to it the most useful information on the flight screen is your inclination, periapsis, apoapsis, and the times to. I literally get around just fine in RSS with only that info and, with the addition of the node ejection angle, the delta-V of my craft. We really don't need that much more information... Add in the radar altitude and you're pretty much good to go. Yes, you can go for overload, but the problem with KSP is you don't even have the most vital information. Edited by regex

Great stuff here. More in here than the devnotes, it seems :D

I totally agree with Maxmaps that turning 45 degrees at 10km "kinds sucks". Wait... that's not what he meant? :D

Airplanes being harder than rockets to build is okay, so long as that aerodynamics helper is easier to use than FAR's.

I both love and hate the resource map. Love it because it looks slick and hate it because it doesn't tell me what happens near edge cases. If I land a bit to the left of a green square with nothing to its left, will I have lots of Karbonite mineable stuff or none?

And OWK, you da man for doing this every week. Super kudos!

My interpretation of that plot is that it only depicts within certain tolerances. It seems that there are buttons that allow you to show the tolerances (i.e. you could see where 10% of the resources are in the areas you have scanned. I would imagine that the actual distribution is continuous.

I have a theory.

Someone else - possibly a hired Project Consultant/Manager or possibly whoever HarvesteR's boss is - has taken over as active head of planning for the game. Their first decree was that iterative updates is hurting productivity and their subsequent decrees were about how all this other stuff (resources and actually getting data are two in particular) simply NEEDS to be in the game for it to be complete.

That, or HarvesteR slipped in the shower and hit his head. :D

I mean, it's great we're going for equality here, but maybe we could go for something better than "equally disposable". :huh:

?

Kerbals are meant to be disposable. Isn't female kerbals being disposable more equal than anything else. I mean, would you like it if they were completely indisposable?

Thanks OWK! I literally slept through the Squadcast (sleeping schedule is all messed up again), and my ISP told me that I have eight hundred dollars of overage charges for the last few months.. time to upgrade to a new ISP, and watch fewer streams, youtube videos, and netflix~

That resource map looks neat but uh.. what does "not deplete-able but diminishing" mean?

I'm quite excited to finally have IVAs in everything. IVA adds a lot to the immersion and the bloody inline cockpit really needs one..it's been in the game forever and still doesn't have one.

EDIT: I may have to start building a 0.27 errr I mean 1.0 Hype Train. Never did finish my 0.25 one... :/

Edited by Renegrade

That resource map looks neat but uh.. what does "not deplete-able but diminishing" mean?

It means that resources can go from green (for example 5 fuel per minute) to red (ex. 0.5 fuel per minute), but it won't deplete aka go to 0 fuel per minute. So you won't run out of something at a certain spot, but it'll take you longer to get the amount of fuel you want. Which is why you'd want to move from green spot to green spot if time is a factor.

Wait, where the crap is the squadcast? I always watch in on Saturday morning to get trough the first hour of hangover with good news at least, and here I am, without a headache because I didn't go out yesterday, and with KSPTV showing nothing for yesterday. :(

Rune. If it wasn't for this threads... thanks!

I'm worried about the IVA. After using RPM I have got used to a certain amount of information and mod integration and functionality.

I really don't see SQUAD taking such a leap, they usually play things so safe they fail to deliver the best solution.

I hope my fears are unfounded.

Liking the new landing gear though.

It means that resources can go from green (for example 5 fuel per minute) to red (ex. 0.5 fuel per minute), but it won't deplete aka go to 0 fuel per minute. So you won't run out of something at a certain spot, but it'll take you longer to get the amount of fuel you want. Which is why you'd want to move from green spot to green spot if time is a factor.

Ah, I see. Thanks :)

That sounds like an interesting system. Sorta splits the difference between Karbonite and Kethane, I guess?

Definitely going to start a new KSP model HypeTrain. :)

I'm worried about the IVA. After using RPM I have got used to a certain amount of information and mod integration and functionality.

I really don't see SQUAD taking such a leap, they usually play things so safe they fail to deliver the best solution.

I hope my fears are unfounded.

Liking the new landing gear though.

I have a feeling that, being done by PJ, they will have a blank screen or two RPM can hijack to suit your specific needs.

Rune. I wouldn't sweat it, 1.0 will still need a bit of modding to cater to every taste.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.