Kerbal Future-Ch. 1a Rewritten

0111narwhalz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Two years of writing. Two years since that fateful night I decided I just had to put these crazy ideas on paper. It's come quite out of hand, this story. It seems to almost write itself, and the universe it inhabits has grown far beyond my original idea. I've gained friends and even cowriters(!) thanks to this story. What started as a little thought-experiment ("What if there was a planet made of glass? And how would that strangelet thing look?") blossomed into an entire universe, with history and factions and a plot.

And I'm only just scratching the surface. What you've seen so far... It is nothing. This story is only getting started.

12 minutes ago, KSK said:

Nice writing! Although I'm currently trying to imagine a kerbal mosh pit - and failing badly.

Heh. Think of a bunch of eggs in a pot, just shy of floating, bobbing about on their ends. It's not far off.

2 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Two years of writing. Two years since that fateful night I decided I just had to put these crazy ideas on paper. It's come quite out of hand, this story. It seems to almost write itself, and the universe it inhabits has grown far beyond my original idea. I've gained friends and even cowriters(!) thanks to this story. What started as a little thought-experiment ("What if there was a planet made of glass? And how would that strangelet thing look?") blossomed into an entire universe, with history and factions and a plot.

And I'm only just scratching the surface. What you've seen so far... It is nothing. This story is only getting started.

And I look forward to seeing where it goes. 

Hard to say this without sounding biased but the quality of fanfiction on this forum is just rock solid. I've followed quite a few stories here over the years and I still find myself asking that hoary old question - how do you folks come up with this stuff? Where do you get the ideas from?

Well, I can't speak for the others, but my ideas come from a bunch of literature, the illustrious Atomic Rockets, far too much KSP, and a bit of self-inflicted sleep deprivation. Put all of those things together, let simmer, and you get the wonkers stuff seen above. Sometimes one jumps out of the pot, and I just have to write about it, like The ChangeThe Last Bastion of Order, and (most recently) YAMR.

Woo! Happy 2nd b'day, Kerbal Future!

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Hard to say this without sounding biased but the quality of fanfiction on this forum is just rock solid. I've followed quite a few stories here over the years and I still find myself asking that hoary old question - how do you folks come up with this stuff? Where do you get the ideas from?

@KSK - I tend to think of the 'fan' fiction on this forum more as sci-fi. It is scientific, after all, what with Rockets and Space and stuff like that. Maybe it's just because I'm a sci-fi writer.

Of course, it's a bit difficult to describe to other people what you're doing (science fanfiction? fan sci-fi?) :D

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's been quite a long while coming, but I've started publishing again!

Now, before you get your hopes up: They're not new, new chapters. Instead, I'm rewriting those two-and-a-half year old monstrosities with all the skills I've picked up since. If you miss the old chapters, they're all available here in a convenient reader compilation. I also still have some reservations about posting the whole thing directly to the forums, so I'm publishing them to a different platform and linking them here.

And with that out of the way, allow me to present Kerbal Future's new chapter 1a!

ukOQqld.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.