Open Source Space Program: Collaborative exploration of space with kOS

FanaticalFighter

Open Source Space Program

Exploring the universe for fun and profit

This will be (or at least, I hope this will be) a collaborative Space Program with automated vessels if unmanned, or fly-by-wire systems for manned flights. I won't be doing career mode, as I can't find any tech tree which conforms to what I want to do with this, so this'll be done in Sandbox mode. However, I will be starting small, mostly because I don't know a lot about kOS and I want to keep a realistic progression of flights. Because all this will be open source, anyone can contribute (see github page below) and submit ideas for future missions, improve code for upcoming planned missions and helping plan the trajectories and procedures for upcoming missions (using KSPTOT.) Maybe, together, we can actually learn some kOS.

Here are the mods that are almost definitely going to be in:

• kOS
  • RemoteTech
  • Procedural Fairings
  • NEAR
  • Deadly Re-entry
  • TACLS
  • Procedural Parts - makes the rockets easier to build and keeps the part count low

Things we need:

• A logo, because all space programs must have a spiffy logo
  • Moar contributers
  • Check github for more jobs

If you are interested in participating/collaborating with me on this project, hit me up here or on the git: https://github.com/FanaticalFighter/KSP-OSSP

Missions

Pathfinder 1 - First satellite launch

Edited by FanaticalFighter

So will code be linked here in the thread as well as github?

I've been thinking about going back to KOS, it's been a while but AFAIK the syntax has remained similar.

I would imagine initially I would just use snippets of code linked here then once I am familiar again I could contribute.

I'll only be posting missions here, because posting all the code here will inflate this thread with meaningless stuff. When I post missions, I'll also post a link to the source(s) here.

I'll recommend using Git, because its much simpler that way, because I've already set up proposals, mission planning and code folders there. There's more to this than coding, we need trajectories (using KSPTOT, maybe the .pln files from its Mission Architect), .craft files, the whole thing. We'll also need pilots (aka, people who finally take the .craft's and the sources, execute the programs, record the outcome in an imgur album or a video, and then post them here) Currently I do everything (or rather, I don't do anything, because I'm still setting up the install and testing stuff) but hopefully I'll start doing missions soon.

@JAD_Interplanetary: You don't need to know kOS to contribute. We also need crafts, mission plans and ideas.

Anyway, I figure this is time for an update. I'm currently working on the satellite for our low kerbin communications network, while another guy is working on a launch vehicle for said satellites. Of course, before the satellite launch we'll be testing the launch vehicle with smaller missions.

So, new update. I have had to take over the creation of the launch vehicle, because the guy who was doing it has kind of disappeared.

Anyway, so I managed to write a script that launches rockets into a 100km circular orbit. I've tested it with a couple of rockets in NEAR, check it out, will you? Its on the git.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.