What does "Jettison" do?

Does this action only have an effect on some engines? I can see an LV-N kicking of off its left or right shroud in response to a jettison action, but none of the others seem to do anything.

(Wow, kicking off one shroud of a pair, now that's specialized. :))

Interesting. I just did a couple of tests. One with an LV-N and one with an LV-909. The engine shrouds appear to be very different. While the 909 has a jettison action in the action groups, I'm not sure when this could be used.

On the launchpad, with the LV-N and then a docking port. I decouple the docking port and it drops off leaving the LV-N engine shroud in place. The shroud is two parts each of which has a jettison option. When I do the same test with the 909, the shroud is one piece and drops away with the docking port when it decouples.

Fun bonus fact - while the docking ports are certainly made of explodium, the LV-N engine shrouds are not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.