What do you mean, I have too many mods?!

Hi all,

KSP keeps crashing on me every time I leave an aircraft (Be it reverting back to the hangar/VAB, recovering a vessel or simply returning to the space station). Now, the first thing that comes to mind is of course that I have too many mods; however, I have ActiveTextureManagement installed (which I've been told is extremely effective).

The mods I have are the following (give or take a few):

All (if not most) of BobCat's mods

All (if not most) of Lionhead's mods

KerbalKonstructs

MechJeb2

Chatterer

HyperEdit

All of the NearFuture mods

Romfarer's lazer pack & weapons pack

NEBULA's handrails mod

SCANsat

KSP-AVC (whatever that is)

StationScience

Active Texture Management (as per mentioned)

All of these mods are up to date to my knowledge. Furthermore, in previous years I've been able to play KSP with many more mods than I have now (upwards of 20, in fact, around patch 0.21 or so).

Is this simply too many mods to the point where TextureManagement can't handle or something?

Advice on this would be greatly appreciated - I'm quite fed up with waiting 5 minutes for KSP to reboot every time I leave an aircraft.

Are you using the x64 bit version of KSP?

Don't. It's bad, and they are discontinuing it for now until they can make it better.

Use the x32 bit for now.

Other than that, cut back on some of the mods, check your computer's performance settings, your active programs with Task Manager or the like on whatever OS you've got, and try Active Texture Management.

I have had this same issue (without using ActiveTextureManagment) in regards to the revert causing a game crash.

My only three suggestions would be to:

1. Cut back on the number of mods that you have (especially ones that use a lot of RAM).
  2. Use a more aggressive version of ActiveTextureManagment (although you said that this caused another problem, which I do not have a solution to).
  3. Don't use the x64 bit version of KSP, stick to x32 bit.

The problem seems to be in the RAM usage that occurs when one reverts back to another state of the game. Thus, causing for both higher CPU and RAM usages for a short period of time and in turn, causing your game to crash.

I wasn't sure if my copy of KSP was x32 or x64 bit (as my copy is auto-updated by Steam), so I checked the readme file I found in the KSP folder. From what I can gather, x64 bit is for Windows only; I have a Mac instead, so mine would be x32 bit most likely (If I'm incorrect in that conclusion feel free to let me know).

I'll try and cut back on mods which I'm not using to see if that's the issue; however, I'd be surprised if the number of mods are the issue, considering I've installed the Aggressive ATM mod in the midst of all this troubleshooting.

UPDATE: So I've tried turning Steam off while playing KSP, as well as removing a BoulderCo file (which contained ATM configurations for certain mods) from my GameData file, and KSP seems to be working perfectly fine. I was even able to re-install KerbalKonstructs and Chatterer without any setbacks.

Edited by wulf899

This might apply to me too... I have around 30 mods (thanks to CKAN) and I get a crash every so often when shifting back to space center or when doing something with a lot of parts on the screen.

I'm using the Windows x32 version, and using aggressive ActiveTextureManagement. What does adding the "-force-opengl" line into my startup shortcut do?

Thanks...

I think that only applies to Linux.

There is no box above the target field on windows.

No; the Linux version of KSP will be using OpenGL anyways (DirectX is a Microsoftism and isn't found anywhere other than Windows and XBOX products). Ditto for the Mac version. The -force-opengl thing really only applies to Microsoft platforms.

Um, guys, this is an OSX thread so openGL is already used, and there is no 64bit OSX binary.

But if you want to use command line arguments on Windows it's probably easiest to make a shortcut to the executable and edit its properties, there will be a target box in the shortcut which you can paste arguments into.

Don't forget to separate each argument with a space :)

OpenGL is an alternative graphics mode that can use less memory then DirectX9, -force-d3d11 is also an option.

But if you want to use command line arguments on Windows it's probably easiest to make a shortcut to the executable and edit its properties, there will be a target box in the shortcut which you can paste arguments into.

^ this. In my Horrible Nerf testing install, the OpenGL shortcut looks like this:

C:\games-ssd\KSP\HorribleNerf\KSP.exe -force-opengl

(KSP supports multiple installs, I have dozens in the C:\games-ssd\KSP directory, and hundreds on magnetic disk from previous versions)

Active texture reduction....

WAIT did you put on agressive?

In the file delete the cache there.

atm should reinstall/ rebuild using the aggresive version

your toolbar and stock icons may take a hit from it.

also if you have limited memory then it can affect your performance.

Active texture reduction....

WAIT did you put on agressive?

In the file delete the cache there.

atm should reinstall/ rebuild using the aggresive version

your toolbar and stock icons may take a hit from it.

also if you have limited memory then it can affect your performance.

Keep in mind that by deleting the cache, you're telling ATM to go through and recompress all of the texture images in GameData (except those that have override scripts). This can take over an hour to complete the first time and may hang, requiring a Force Quit and relaunch. If you do have to Force Quit, ATM will pick up where it left off the first time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.