The Number War: Count to 100 or -100

RainDreamer

Well... it's getting late here, so if I'm going to do this, I should do it now.

45 trident
46 lighting bolt!
44 resent
timestamps, previous post is invalid.
7. In the case of two or more posts from two or more different people being posted at the same time(give or take a minute) trying to subtract/add to the same number simultaneously , the post that appears last on the thread counts toward the change in the current number. This is to avoid needless confusion and people can simply read the last post to continue the game. You also cannot spam posts in an attempt to override another person's change during the 1 minute window, only your earliest post will count in that situation. So don't spam.

My post was within that 1 min time window, it still counts.

44 nulls

^ I feel like I should elaborate a bit as to why, just so this issue is clear once and for all.

Rule #7 states "give or take a minute" - meaning there is one minute to override the previous poster. That has to work for any second of any minute, meaning that if I post at 14:25:30, someone else has until 14:26:30 to override my operation. The forum, however, doesn't display seconds - it becomes impossible to prove precisely if someone has posted in the correct window. Really, even if Dman would say that his 46 was posted exactly at the start of a minute, Fel can just as easily claim that his 44 was posted at the exact start of the next minute, and still within the valid one minute window.

So, any second of the minute a user posts can be overridden up until the same second of the next minute. Take away the seconds, because the forum won't tell you that information, and you end up with what we have - if I post at 14:25, someone else can post at 14:26 and rightly override my operation.

I hope it's clear now that Fel's 44 was a valid override.

And I'll make that a 43.

^ Or up. Just because the biggest resets have been used against the positive side only so far doesn't mean the negative side can't suffer just as much if they make mistakes like that.

^ I feel like I should elaborate a bit as to why, just so this issue is clear once and for all.

Rule #7 states "give or take a minute" - meaning there is one minute to override the previous poster. That has to work for any second of any minute, meaning that if I post at 14:25:30, someone else has until 14:26:30 to override my operation. The forum, however, doesn't display seconds - it becomes impossible to prove precisely if someone has posted in the correct window. Really, even if Dman would say that his 46 was posted exactly at the start of a minute, Fel can just as easily claim that his 44 was posted at the exact start of the next minute, and still within the valid one minute window.

So, any second of the minute a user posts can be overridden up until the same second of the next minute. Take away the seconds, because the forum won't tell you that information, and you end up with what we have - if I post at 14:25, someone else can post at 14:26 and rightly override my operation.

I hope it's clear now that Fel's 44 was a valid override.

This is correct, if you want to get official opinion. I also want to add that you can actually override an override and so on, as long as you post within that 1 minute time window of the contested number and haven't posted yet. So a third person can override what has been overridden again, and a fourth person can override that overriding and so on. You can battle for it, until 1 minute window is over, or another person move on to the next number before the contested number get overridden.

So here is an example for what I meant by moving on to the next number:

Poster 1 at 1:00: 6

Poster 2 at 1:02 : 7 <- valid

Poster 3 at 1:03 :8 <- valid

Poster 4 at 1:03 : 5 <- This is invalid, since it was just a few seconds too late and missed its chance to override

However:

Poster 1 at 1:00: 6

Poster 2 at 1:02 : 7 <- valid, but overridden

Poster 3 at 1:03 :5 <- valid

Poster 4 at 1:03 : 8 <- This is invalid now, since it got the wrong number to continue, even though it is a few seconds too late.

On another note, I am going to have a discussion over here about this rule, please give me some thoughts.

This is rather confusing when it resets, so one number can cause a reset to like 50 numbers down. Geez, that's kinda weird.

Think of each number as a building block. You can stack them together to get to the finish line, but if you put in a faulty block somewhere in the middle and someone noticed it and pull it out, the whole stack above that faulty block will fall with it.

It is intentionally designed to give people who are at a disadvantage a chance to flip things around if they are observant and the team on advantage side were too overconfident and didn't keep track of things closely enough. Especially if people are boosting and not really looking at what other people posted.

Keeping track of fast moving numbers is hard work, and I did what I can to make it possible to simply continue the game from the latest post and save people from doing that job, but for people that actually do that hard work, they also get a reward for it, and it can really change things.

Edited by RainDreamer

We have to restart at 42 because Ethanadams' post is a +2 to the previous 42. Unless I'm missing something.

I'll assume this is a correct response to the 41.

The way I see it, Donwside Up saw what my post meant and was telling Ethan that the correct continuation was either 41 or 43, while adding one himself - therefore, no resets would need to happen. But I could, of course, be wrong :) The game is at 41 either way, just not sure if my 41 or Fel's 41.

The way I see it, Donwside Up saw what my post meant and was telling Ethan that the correct continuation was either 41 or 43, while adding one himself - therefore, no resets would need to happen. But I could, of course, be wrong :) The game is at 41 either way, just not sure if my 41 or Fel's 41.

I would assume the same. Downside up actually follow the correct error reporting procedure (yay!) and quote the last correct number, which was your post, and apparently continues from it. Either way though, the game continues with the same numbers, so it doesn't matter that much.