The Number War: Count to 100 or -100

RainDreamer

+ lim x->0 sin(x)/x = the number of candles in a box of Hanukkah candles

Just want to point this out before we get too much further: according to my quick google search, the number of candles in hanukkah candle box varies between 44 and 45 as sometimes people add one extra for use as the serving candle that lights the other ones, or for good luck, but not everyone does that. Which means this is considered dual interpretation/unclear, as it can either be 44 or 45. Despite you did specify that you are adding 1 with the first part: + "limit of sin(x)divided by x as x approach zero" (which is 1 - can be easily searched), the second part is too ambiguous and anyone can claim that "oh, it is actually 45" to null your post (violating rule 5 - misinform of current number) or claim it as 44 to keep it. We can't have a two way post like that.

So unless there is something else I should know about the tradition (that I should have also seen through quick google search but missed somehow), I would say this post is invalid.

P.S: I don't often interfere in case the error is intentional and I might hinder players' plans, but this is a special case, as it deals with ambiguous posts, and those kinds of posts can cause a lot of arguments that I rather not have.

Edited by RainDreamer

Just want to this out before we get too much further: according to my quick google search, the number of candles in hanukkah candle box varies between 44 and 45 as sometimes people add one extra for use as the serving candle that lights the other ones, or for good luck, but not everyone does that. Which means this is considered dual interpretation/unclear, as it can either be 44 or 45. Despite you did specify that you are adding 1 with the first part: + "limit of sin(x)divided by x as x approach zero" (which is 1 - can be easily searched), the second part is too ambiguous and anyone can claim that "oh, it is actually 45" to null your post (violating rule 5 - misinform of current number) or claim it as 44 to keep it. We can't have a two way post like that.

So unless there is something else I should know about the tradition (that I should have also seen through quick google search but missed somehow), I would say this post is invalid.

P.S: I don't often interfere in case the error is intentional and I might hinder players' plans, but this is a special case, as it deals with ambiguous posts, and those kinds of posts can cause a lot of arguments that I rather not have.

but if you look, nobody used that post. They considered it invalid. Ethanadams posted 43 right before it:

43 this is funner

and then the Hanukkah post was ignored when Dman979 continued with 42.

But I know it's 42.

So there's no need for a revert, the post was invalid, and was considered so at the time and thus ignored. Continue as usual, folks. :)

but if you look, nobody used that post. They considered it invalid. Ethanadams posted 43 right before it:

and then the Hanukkah post was ignored when Dman979 continued with 42.

So there's no need for a revert, the post was invalid, and was considered so at the time and thus ignored. Continue as usual, folks. :)

Yeah, no revert is needed (as a GM, I almost never call those shots - it is for the players), just that it didn't seem very clear so I want to clarify things, and also makes it an example - a precedent for the rules.

+ "limit of sin(x)divided by x as x approach zero" (which is 1 - can be easily searched)

Damn, I feel stupid, forgot about l'Hospital. I hope my calculus professor never sees this thread :blush: