The Number War: Count to 100 or -100

RainDreamer

31 minutes ago, Deutherius said:

Your victory has been noted and is being reviewed. You can continue from 0.

8 minutes ago, Frybert said:

1 (+)

1 minute ago, JoseEduardo said:

@Deutherius since it is under review, is it safe to start a new round or is it better to wait until it's been confirmed?

I am sad to announce that I will be keeping my participation in the next round to an absolute minimum, if at all. The reason for this is that, as I see it, this thread has wandered too far from the intended spirit of the OP. On this thread, we now spend so much time bickering over the rules, and not enough time having fun. So many people are seeking ways to use the complex rules of the game to their advantage and their opponents' disadvantage and certain people who shall not be named even used old, already corrected mistakes from several pages ago to try to completely undo the hard work done by their opponents, in a desperate attempt to save a losing game. These behaviors make the game far less fun for me, and lately, I haven't actually been having any fun. I just wanted to be done with this last round. Now that it's over, I think it is the perfect time for me to leave. Hence, this post. I hope that things go better in the future, and I will return if that is the case. Right now though, I have actually been hearing several people in and out of the game say that they haven't seen this game this messed up in a long time. Frankly, I agree. I have been watching this thread and others a lot longer than I have actually had an account on the forums, and I joined this thread after I created my account because I thought it was incredibly fun. The last few rounds, though, have felt extremely hollow and dirty. I therefore believe I need a good long break. I may pop in now and then to see how things are going, but I will not be playing a major role. I would like to thank everyone on the negative side for all the help in the win. I would also like to thank those on the positive side. I'm happy that I was able to get to know several people like @JoseEduardo, @Wildcat111, and @legoclone09. Thanks to @Dman979, @RainDreamer, and @Deutherius for allowing me to participate. 

P.S. I'm no longer following this thread, so if you want me to see something, you'll have to ping me. 

On 9/23/2016 at 10:14 PM, Mycroft said:

I am sad to announce that I will be keeping my participation in the next round to an absolute minimum, if at all. The reason for this is that, as I see it, this thread has wandered too far from the intended spirit of the OP. On this thread, we now spend so much time bickering over the rules, and not enough time having fun. So many people are seeking ways to use the complex rules of the game to their advantage and their opponents' disadvantage and certain people who shall not be named even used old, already corrected mistakes from several pages ago to try to completely undo the hard work done by their opponents, in a desperate attempt to save a losing game. These behaviors make the game far less fun for me, and lately, I haven't actually been having any fun. I just wanted to be done with this last round. Now that it's over, I think it is the perfect time for me to leave. Hence, this post. I hope that things go better in the future, and I will return if that is the case. Right now though, I have actually been hearing several people in and out of the game say that they haven't seen this game this messed up in a long time. Frankly, I agree. I have been watching this thread and others a lot longer than I have actually had an account on the forums, and I joined this thread after I created my account because I thought it was incredibly fun. The last few rounds, though, have felt extremely hollow and dirty. I therefore believe I need a good long break. I may pop in now and then to see how things are going, but I will not be playing a major role. I would like to thank everyone on the negative side for all the help in the win. I would also like to thank those on the positive side. I'm happy that I was able to get to know several people like @JoseEduardo, @Wildcat111, and @legoclone09. Thanks to @Dman979, @RainDreamer, and @Deutherius for allowing me to participate. 

P.S. I'm no longer following this thread, so if you want me to see something, you'll have to ping me. 

I think part of the game is the dickering about the mistakes and rules. I dissaggree with Dman979s ruling because in the past I have corrected my mistake and been overriden, but I accepted the ruling of the moderators. I think if you want a better game, get players on your side to slow down and be more deliberate and less impulsive. That fixes a majority of the problem, if the otherside is not deliberate but play compulsively, then they play the price when the numbers are in their favor.

Just now, PB666 said:

I think part of the game is the dickering about the mistakes and rules.

I'm sorry, but I just cannot agree to that statement. Bickering over petty rule violations does nothing but offend people, but most seem to view it as a necessary evil for keeping the game on track. I could not disagree more. People are perfectly capable of holding civil, polite conversations over rules. No one needs to get flustered, but so many, myself included, get overly emotionally invested in our particular side, especially if things seem awfully convenient for the opposing side. This results in heated, unnecessary debates. 

8 minutes ago, PB666 said:

I think if you want a better game, get players on your side to slow down and be more deliberate and less impulsive. That fixes a majority of the problem, if the otherside is not deliberate but play compulsively, then they play the price when the numbers are in their favor.

Really? My side? This is the precise embodiment of the cause of the problem I mentioned above. You do realize that you just (intentionally or unintentionally) blamed the negative side for most of the mistakes, right? Both sides should slow down, and I personally try not to post in a skirmish. But I am not any more in control of the players I fought beside than you are of the wind and sun. People will post at whatever speed they want, and it is unwise to attempt to control it. I have noticed, as I've been on this thread, that skirmishes like that have been happening less and less. So be happy. People are slowing down. Besides, while speed does cause mistakes, it only causes minor ones that do not require reverts, since the rules say that in the event of several posts a minute, the last one wins. But slowing down will not fix the problems. The ones that require reverts are when somebody forgets to turn to the last page, posts a wildly inaccurate number, and the thread continues from that post, as if it was valid. But you should see that even those are usually taken care of quickly. The problem does not lie in the mistakes that we make. No, we deal with them quickly. The real problem is the fact that people from both sides get tremendously emotionally invested in their particular side, leading to them either seeing the other side as playing dirty, and attempting to 'expose' them, to get popular opinion on their side, whether or not they are actually playing dirty, or trying to fudge the rules a bit and see how they can find a way to revert even the tiniest error, all the while making themselves (and by extension, their side) look like they really just want to follow the rules, and the other side look like rule breakers in a desperate attempt to undo the other team's work in any way possible. Both are the real problem with this thread. Both result directly from excessive emotional investment. Both can be fixed only by the people who are overly invested. That is why I am leaving. I was too emotionally invested in the negative side. I am no longer. I will rejoin if both sides become less emotionally invested in winning or making the other side look bad. Thank you for your time and your hard work to make this game more fun for everyone.

23 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I'm sorry, but I just cannot agree to that statement. Bickering over petty rule violations does nothing but offend people, but most seem to view it as a necessary evil for keeping the game on track. I could not disagree more. People are perfectly capable of holding civil, polite conversations over rules. No one needs to get flustered, but so many, myself included, get overly emotionally invested in our particular side, especially if things seem awfully convenient for the opposing side. This results in heated, unnecessary debates. 

Really? My side? This is the precise embodiment of the cause of the problem I mentioned above. You do realize that you just (intentionally or unintentionally) blamed the negative side for most of the mistakes, right? Both sides should slow down, and I personally try not to post in a skirmish. But I am not any more in control of the players I fought beside than you are of the wind and sun. People will post at whatever speed they want, and it is unwise to attempt to control it. I have noticed, as I've been on this thread, that skirmishes like that have been happening less and less. So be happy. People are slowing down. Besides, while speed does cause mistakes, it only causes minor ones that do not require reverts, since the rules say that in the event of several posts a minute, the last one wins. But slowing down will not fix the problems. The ones that require reverts are when somebody forgets to turn to the last page, posts a wildly inaccurate number, and the thread continues from that post, as if it was valid. But you should see that even those are usually taken care of quickly. The problem does not lie in the mistakes that we make. No, we deal with them quickly. The real problem is the fact that people from both sides get tremendously emotionally invested in their particular side, leading to them either seeing the other side as playing dirty, and attempting to 'expose' them, to get popular opinion on their side, whether or not they are actually playing dirty, or trying to fudge the rules a bit and see how they can find a way to revert even the tiniest error, all the while making themselves (and by extension, their side) look like they really just want to follow the rules, and the other side look like rule breakers in a desperate attempt to undo the other team's work in any way possible. Both are the real problem with this thread. Both result directly from excessive emotional investment. Both can be fixed only by the people who are overly invested. That is why I am leaving. I was too emotionally invested in the negative side. I am no longer. I will rejoin if both sides become less emotionally invested in winning or making the other side look bad. Thank you for your time and your hard work to make this game more fun for everyone.

Both side should slow down, the point is that mistakes on your side create trouble for your game, mistakes on the others side (which ever it may be) are to your advantage. If both side slow down and are more deliberate the revert game disappears. So the dickering over reverts is really a manifestation of poor primary play.

1 hour ago, PB666 said:

Both side should slow down, the point is that mistakes on your side create trouble for your game, mistakes on the others side (which ever it may be) are to your advantage. If both side slow down and are more deliberate the revert game disappears. So the dickering over reverts is really a manifestation of poor primary play.

Okay, so I'm gonna say a couple more things and then I'll shut up.

First, I agree with you that both sides should slow down. But you do not seem to realize that the problem I was addressing was when some people performed false reverts, or in some cases, arguably planted a mistake in the thread so that they could justify a revert later after the other side made progress toward their goal. That is not a result of sloppy game play. The bickering I'm talking about is when the revert is challenged, because one side sees how terribly convenient for the other side. That's what's bad, and that's not a result of bad game play. That is the result of becoming emotionally attached to one particular side. Since it's kinda impossible to prove it one way or the other, I'm saying we should not bicker over that. 

Okay, I'll finally shut up.

3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Okay, so I'm gonna say a couple more things and then I'll shut up.

First, I agree with you that both sides should slow down. But you do not seem to realize that the problem I was addressing was when some people performed false reverts, or in some cases, arguably planted a mistake in the thread so that they could justify a revert later after the other side made progress toward their goal. That is not a result of sloppy game play. The bickering I'm talking about is when the revert is challenged, because one side sees how terribly convenient for the other side. That's what's bad, and that's not a result of bad game play. That is the result of becoming emotionally attached to one particular side. Since it's kinda impossible to prove it one way or the other, I'm saying we should not bicker over that. 

Okay, I'll finally shut up.

But if you can simply quote the false post and revert and move and no problem.

1 (+)