F-0.2 - Tiny Personal Aircraft/Escape Pod

Mister Kingdom

Do you like planes?

Do you like big planes? Ones that eclipse the sun when they fly over, ones that break the runway when they land?

Well, you're in the wrong place, friend, for we're talking gliders. Small gliders. How small? How about "Small enough to fit inside a MK.2 Cargo Bay"? Is that small enough for you?

sESNeA2h.png

This is the F-0.2, and it's the smallest aircraft (so far) that we can possibly build. Gone are the frivolous luxuries of cockpits and jet engines! Gone is the hassle of full landing gear and the ridiculous notion of 'wheels'! All that remains is bare bones, old fashioned, KSC-Brand efficiency!

F-0.2 Advertising, Honest Jeb's Pre-Loved Starship Emporium

This resulted from both images online, and my constant attempts to find something to put in my multitude of cargo bays. My first idea (after the obvious "BIG BOOM NOW") was some form of remote survey aircraft, sort of like the ones they used to have on zeppelins, but every attempt invariably ended with the aircraft lodged in the bay by the wings. So I gave up, until I stumbled across the idea of using the RCS engines for fuel on the forums. However, I have no idea why I'm telling you this; this post isn't about what the craft is, it's about what it can do.

Turns out, it makes a pretty good formation flyer.

Evbadre.png

Pictured: 'Good' formation flying.

I expected that dropping the plane would be like dropping a bomb: it'd stick to the back wall, and then fly out at high speed when I used Sepratrons. As it happens, I was wrong; the Sepratrons are unnecessary, and in fact don't work. It flies out perfectly well by yourself, and using about 10% throttle brings you in line with the 'mothership' (for the purposes of this experiment, a Komet with the engines off). So, suddenly, I had two planes in the air, and 3 KM to play with.

Oh boy.

[QUICKSAVE]

I started with something simple: catching the mothership. I only discovered my proximity to it after using around 80% of my fuel, so it crashed before I could get closer than 200 M.

fyDUcIm.png

Pictured: Curses!

[QUICKLOAD]

So, I decided to investigate further. I pull out of the bay, and attempt to keep pace with the aircraft. I pull up close, and go for some formation flying (pictured above) I make a few passes, which I forgot to screenshot, and then I crashed.

So, that was that. It was a minor thing, but I find minor things entertaining every once in a while. I actually made another variant, with wheels in place of skids, that takes off from the ground, but that one isn't as interesting as this one. Any further escapades will be posted up here. I don't imagine so, but if anyone wants the .craft file, I'd be happy to supply.

Peace!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.