A better way of actually finding the locations for surveys?

PTNLemay

Maybe I am just a noob, but I'm finding the surveys to be remarkably difficult. I was all excited to zip around Kerbin in a spaceplane to visit all of these locations, but hitting them is hard as nails. The actual areas where the survey will work are super tiny. For example I need to perform an EVA at all three of these locations, and according to the game I am not currently in any of them. I'm zoomed in on the map as close as it will go, I can't go any closer... http://i.imgur.com/uCAsarV.png

I really hope that with the biome refresh in 1.0 they make it more clear. I would love it if they could actually highlight the area on the map so you can see a zone you have to be in, rather than an invisible spot marked by a cursor.

Edited by PTNLemay

The actual spot you need to be in is at the lower end tip of the marker flag. It is a bit problematic right now finding exactly where to be, so I highly recommend downloading In-flight waypoints or the newer updated version called Waypoint Manager. It makes finding the right spot considerably easier.

It is a simple matter of attaching as many external seats with parachutes to as many decouplers as possible on a rocket. Then insert Kerbals. Finally, at a high enough altitude, decouple them all and one has bound to land in the site!

Jeb gives this plan a thumbs up.

It is a simple matter of attaching as many external seats with parachutes to as many decouplers as possible on a rocket. Then insert Kerbals. Finally, at a high enough altitude, decouple them all and one has bound to land in the site!

Paratrooper style huh. Someone should try this with an MK3 Cargo bay.

Nice theory, but it is doomed to failure because of the way the game deals with multiple objects in atmosphere. Any vessels not on the ground and out of physics range (more than 2.5 km) of the active vessel gets deleted. It's not a bug, it is how the game avoids needing to work out aerodynamics for lots of objects simultaneously.

I couldn't work out why my para drooped probes just kept vanishing until I found that info on the forums.

You can para drop probes if you circle near the probe staying within 2.5 kof it until it's safely on the ground. This is easiest if you drop from low altitude.

Hope this helps.

Not sure someone mentioned it already but you can click on the mission site marker and set a navigation marker for it on the navball. Leads you precisely to where you need to go.

Surprisingly enough that hadn't been mentioned yet! Yes, set a marker on the navball FTW. If you're on the ground and you head toward the marker it will bring you right to it.

I always use a rover for these contracts and I make use of mechjeb's rover autopilot, not to actually drive the rover, but you can set up waypoints to each survey site (just make sure you place each waypoint right on the tip of each survey marker). Then you get markers for all the sites that you can see while you are driving (and then I don't bother with clicking on each marker to set it on the nav-ball).

Not sure someone mentioned it already but you can click on the mission site marker and set a navigation marker for it on the navball. Leads you precisely to where you need to go.
This - done in the map view of course. Then you just head in the direction shown. The marker shows up on the stock navball and in NavHUD. There's no indication of how close you need to be it's true, but just keep going the right way.

For aerial surveys, the marker is at either the upper or the lower limit, you'll have to check the contract details.

I was gonna mention it earlier but I haven't had an upgrade to my time machine recently.:cool:

The navball works, but if you are using a lander to reach the site, it only works well when you are moving in the direction of the site, once your kerbal is out of the craft he has no orientation .

BTW, Good thread.

The problem with that is that when on EVA you don't have a navball, so I was resorting to the map view. But yes when you do use a capsule it is a lot easier to spot. Though it conversely becomes harder to do fine maneuvering. Like quickly arresting your side-ways velocity because the landing site is actually that-a-way.

You can also drop a flag or two in the general area to use for orienting yourself when EVA. Before I was able to build a rover, I would land in the general area, drop a flag and then land closer to the sites. Worked fairly well for getting your bearings, especially in rugged areas... Then I downloaded Waypoint Manager. Now everything is easier. My acne has cleared up. My car no longer dies at stoplights. My dog cleans up after himself! Thank you Waypoint Manager!!

editor's note: match appears to have experienced a schism with reality. He does not even own a dog.

The problem with that is that when on EVA you don't have a navball, so I was resorting to the map view. But yes when you do use a capsule it is a lot easier to spot. Though it conversely becomes harder to do fine maneuvering. Like quickly arresting your side-ways velocity because the landing site is actually that-a-way.

On low gravity worlds using the jetpack and do an ballistic trajectory who goes a bit past the survey point works well, then you get the enter area message kill forward movement, then do an controlled landing. On higher gravtity worlds an rover / lander makes more sense, this can also be used unmanned.

You can also drop a flag or two in the general area to use for orienting yourself when EVA. Before I was able to build a rover, I would land in the general area, drop a flag and then land closer to the sites. Worked fairly well for getting your bearings, especially in rugged areas... Then I downloaded Waypoint Manager. Now everything is easier. My acne has cleared up. My car no longer dies at stoplights. My dog cleans up after himself! Thank you Waypoint Manager!!

editor's note: match appears to have experienced a schism with reality. He does not even own a dog.

This is a what and I love it.

Everyone here likes nonsense on this level.

You need... REP!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.