[1.8.x] CraftHistory - 2.2.1 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

9 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Just here to report in with a... bad happenings with Craft History.

It managed to glitch up while loading up my SPH folder... which consequently caused the entire SPH folder to be lost. Just bam, gone, and then was replaced by a fresh, empty SPH folder.

Fortunately, I managed to recover most of my crafts and subsequent directories with crafts (everything except what I did in the past two days, which fortunately either isn't much, or was uploaded to KerbalX) with a data recovery tool, but... would be nice if Craft History's method of loading craft was a little more foolproofed against this kind of thing...

This is the first time i heard of this happening. During loading it only reads data and nothing is being written so i don't see how CraftHistory could have deleted all your craft files.

Do you happen to have a log file from when this happened ?

2 hours ago, SpaceTiger said:

This is the first time i heard of this happening. During loading it only reads data and nothing is being written so i don't see how CraftHistory could have deleted all your craft files.

Do you happen to have a log file from when this happened ?

No, since the game didn't actually crash. 

Actually, something weird now. I uninstalled and reinstalled Craft History, but now it can't load the full craft list, so maybe I actually broke something in KSP or my computer did something weird.

I'll keep looking into the problem and report back when I'm able to load all my crafts again, and whatever solution that takes. 

Well, I found out why I can't fully load craft. File recovery couldn't recover the craft files fully intact. So... yeah. Just an update.

So something happened when something was reading the SPH folder and tried to load it all. Maybe something in KSP itself, not sure. In any case, I'm in the process of trying to see if there's any other way to recover those craft files fully.

They weren't really deleted, per se, but again, just more of 'lost'.

• 4 months later...
On 8/20/2017 at 11:23 AM, SpaceTiger said:

When you don't have the parts unlocked through research or they aren't available in your game at all cause of a removed mod.

This is the first time I have seen red. I am surprised. I seem to remember the craft being fine when I last saw them. So I understand the reason why they are marked in red, something is missing for the reasons stated.

However...I would love to be able to see some information about what is wrong. If this mod has the ability to detect there is a problem, I feel sure once found that info can be accessed again.

Now I have no idea how you would like to change the GUI to be able to allow a player to see that info.

One thought would be to add another button. Yes always the answer is to add more buttons. But hang on. Make the button say a '?' character. You select a craft as normal but instead of using the load merge delete buttons, click on the '?'.

A window would pop open. Maybe for a working normal craft the window would say number of parts and total mass (or anything really simple to pull from the craft file). For an incomplete craft it would show a list of part names, or in game display names, for those parts that are missing.

What do you think? I am thinking that other mods pop open windows, so the source code should be available as a guide for handling that part. Add a variable or two to suck info from the craft file. Display. Sounds simple I know but what do you think about the suggestion?

1 hour ago, Apaseall said:

This is the first time I have seen red. I am surprised. I seem to remember the craft being fine when I last saw them. So I understand the reason why they are marked in red, something is missing for the reasons stated.

However...I would love to be able to see some information about what is wrong. If this mod has the ability to detect there is a problem, I feel sure once found that info can be accessed again.

CraftManager does this, and if you consent to it linking up to KerbalX.com it'll even tell you which mod the parts come from.

29 minutes ago, JH4C said:

CraftManager does this, and if you consent to it linking up to KerbalX.com it'll even tell you which mod the parts come from.

Can you clarify something for me, if I am not linked to KerbalX will that mod tell me the names of the parts that are missing?

11 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Can you clarify something for me, if I am not linked to KerbalX will that mod tell me the names of the parts that are missing?

Yes, it'll list whatever parts are missing from your install that are required by the .craft. However, the .craft file itself only includes the internal part names, not the user-friendly name you see when selecting parts in the VAB/SPH, so sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss trying to work out what it's referring to. I've had one successful identification without KerbalX integration, where a demo .craft from one mod accidentally included a part from one of the same author's other mods; it all depends on how self-consistent an author is. For something like the upcoming seismic shift in KerbalFoundries, it'll probably work pretty well as most of their pieces follow a strict convention.

55 minutes ago, JH4C said:

Yes, it'll list whatever parts are missing from your install that are required by the .craft. However, the .craft file itself only includes the internal part names, not the user-friendly name you see when selecting parts in the VAB/SPH, so sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss trying to work out what it's referring to. I've had one successful identification without KerbalX integration, where a demo .craft from one mod accidentally included a part from one of the same author's other mods; it all depends on how self-consistent an author is. For something like the upcoming seismic shift in KerbalFoundries, it'll probably work pretty well as most of their pieces follow a strict convention.

Thanks for that. Yes I know about display names and part names as I have written a few patches using modulemanager.

• 1 year later...

Dear @SpaceTiger,

I would like to inform you that i think your update messed with my save file. It seemed to no longer show most of my kerbals in the astronaut complex. I had 4 active Kerbals, no lost, no killed. I had plenty of active Kerbals.
When i selected a rover of which i knew it had some kerbals, the following happened:

qDcAvUe.png

Note: The Kerbal is ''unnamed'', I do not see any resources, The rover appears to be underground, i cannot rotate the camera, i cannot control the rover. 

Before your update i could not open the VAB or SPH at all so i deleted craft history altogether.

Any ideas?

Kinds regards,

Edit: My sandbox game did not have this problem. I deleted crafthistory again, this did not solve the problem.
Now i don't know what caused it...

Edited by Robdjee

• 5 months later...

@SpaceTiger

Just opened an issue on Github: https://github.com/KerboKatz/CraftHistory/issues/13

Specifically stock vessels which have localized names are showing the localization tags, and not the correct name.

Also, is there any way to get rid of the flat skin, it's very jarring when it's the only window like that

• 2 weeks later...

@SpaceTiger Can we get a recompile/update for KSP 1.9/1.9.1? Craft History is being buggy and just not loading crafts. But it's still seeing all the folders in the craft folders, so idk.

@linuxgurugamer I saw you post a perhaps similar issue to this in the Craft Manager topic, maybe it's related? (Someone else posted a similar issue there as well.)

Edited by Box of Stardust

3 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

@SpaceTiger Can we get a recompile/update for KSP 1.9/1.9.1? Craft History is being buggy and just not loading crafts. But it's still seeing all the folders in the craft folders, so idk.

@linuxgurugamer I saw you post a perhaps similar issue to this in the Craft Manager topic, maybe it's related?

possible, but hard to say.

It's rather inconsistent, too. Sometimes it'll partially load the contents of the craft folder, sometimes it just won't load anything at all. A complete game restart is the only way to get Craft History to try loading crafts again.

UPDATE: Did a full re-install of everything, and I'm now trying to be careful not to move the Craft History window until I feel like it's done trying to load crafts. So far everything seems to be okay.

Edited by Box of Stardust

• 3 months later...

This mod looks awesome! Although I'm sad to see that I cannot resize the window horizontally; on a larger resolution screen the window is quite small. Additionally, none of my crafts have thumbs. Is this a known bug?

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.