[1.8.x] CraftHistory - 2.2.1 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

So the way we built the new and improved CraftHistory is as follows (picture included for deconfusion):
 We have implemented a folder structure to replace the old category system. This folder structure is now no longer just a visual representation of your categories but will get physically saved on your HDD. Essentially a category is now an actual folder (or sub-folder).
 As is right now you can save your current craft into the category i.e. folder (or sub-folder) you have currently open. Also you can move it out of its current folder and into another one simply by dragging and dropping it. This function works pretty much like cut-paste.
 As a possible solution for people who like to have a craft in more than one category we could implement a copy-paste function. This would however mean that the craft file itself will get saved into 2 (or more depending on how many places it got copied to) places on the HDD.
 We have been brainstorming this and found that the folder structure as opposed to the old tagging system is not only a neater way of organizing the crafts but also a lot less resource intensive since it will only have to load the crafts in the currently open folder as opposed to the old CH that would always load up all of the craft files every time you opened it up.

Spoiler

G10DGQ5.jpg

We are currently working on a tree structure view for the categories(folders) which should make it easier to navigate. And also adding a slider to scale the UI.

Let us know what you think.:)

1 hour ago, SpaceKitty said:

As a possible solution for people who like to have a craft in more than one category we could implement a copy-paste function. This would however mean that the craft file itself will get saved into 2 (or more depending on how many places it got copied to) places on the HDD.

If you update one copy of the file, will it automatically update the other?

example: 

I create a lander, save it in \manned\mun, and then copy it over to \manned\minmus. I later realize that I forgot to include something, and update the copy in \manned\mun. Will the copy in \manned\minmus also receive the change automatically?

3 minutes ago, Torgo said:

If you update one copy of the file, will it automatically update the other?

example: 

I create a lander, save it in \manned\mun, and then copy it over to \manned\minmus. I later realize that I forgot to include something, and update the copy in \manned\mun. Will the copy in \manned\minmus also receive the change automatically?

No it won't. It would be just like the copy&paste of windows or any other filesystem tool.

On 10.05.2016 at 4:10 PM, SpaceKitty said:

Hide contents

Let us know what you think.:)

Great Mod!!! 

I suggest a little change

e74b5e4eea6f.jpg

A big picture will help you remember what kind of ship (when there are hundreds of them)

Great news!

While the folder structure does make sense, it would be nice to still retain some of the tagging functionality. I do enjoy being able to pull up all craft including "Duna" or "docking", or excluding "obsolete".

That is just one small feature in an otherwise awesome mod though, so very much looking forward to getting my hands on this.

On 5/15/2016 at 5:02 PM, SpaceTiger said:

@*MajorTom* , @BrutalRIP 

We added a bigger preview of the thumbnail where you suggested that only if visible when hovered over the small thumbnail.

On another note we seem to be almost done with the revamp and should have a release within the next few days.

Woo hoo!  Looking forward to it.  While I know it's hard to be specific, do you think there is a chance it will be available for testing by the weekend?

51 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Woo hoo!  Looking forward to it.  While I know it's hard to be specific, do you think there is a chance it will be available for testing by the weekend?

No promises but yeah should be done by then.

Just to chime in so you know there's interest; I've been hoping for something to organize my crafts for a long time as I use Champagne Bottle for naming them and basically just keep a text file on my laptop that organizes them and says what they're for. So this will be an instant-install for me as soon as it's updated. Not meant to pressure; I noticed for instance in your KerbalScienceExchange thread you mentioned lack of interest as a reason for not updating it, so I wanted to throw my 'vote' in there for this addon and say it's a wonderful feature to organize crafts and I can't wait to set it up.

On 5/15/2016 at 5:02 PM, SpaceTiger said:

@*MajorTom* , @BrutalRIP 

We added a bigger preview of the thumbnail where you suggested that only if visible when hovered over the small thumbnail.

On another note we seem to be almost done with the revamp and should have a release within the next few days.

I have a need to be able to call a function when a craftfile save is done.  This function needs to be called before the file is saved so that some data values can be updated.

Since I don't see the new code on Github yet, can you tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advance

LGG

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have a need to be able to call a function when a craftfile save is done.  This function needs to be called before the file is saved so that some data values can be updated.

Since I don't see the new code on Github yet, can you tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advance

LGG

I don't think there is any hook for this in stock. One way of doing it would be to overwrite the saving.

I can add something to the CraftHistory API that you can use and not overwrite CraftHistory. What data would you need to add ? Would the ConfigNode be enough to pass along ?

Just now, SpaceTiger said:

I don't think there is any hook for this in stock. One way of doing it would be to overwrite the saving.

I can add something to the CraftHistory API that you can use and not overwrite CraftHistory. What data would you need to add ? Would the ConfigNode be enough to pass along ?

Oh, I don't want to depend on CraftHistory.  I just need to update a module in all the command pods with current data

ok.  If that's not available, then how can I detect anytime a command pod is added to the craft?

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ok.  If that's not available, then how can I detect anytime a command pod is added to the craft?

You could use the onEditorPartPlaced event like this:

private void Awake()
    {
      GameEvents.onEditorPartPlaced.Add(OnPartAdded);
    }
    private void OnPartAdded(Part data)
    {
      if (data.FindModulesImplementing<ModuleCommand>().Count > 0)
      {
        //do what you want to do with the this command module
      }
    }

Probably could use FindModuleImplementing instead but you would have to null check that one.

This isn't tested but should work.

39 minutes ago, SpaceTiger said:

You could use the onEditorPartPlaced event like this:

private void Awake()
    {
      GameEvents.onEditorPartPlaced.Add(OnPartAdded);
    }
    private void OnPartAdded(Part data)
    {
      if (data.FindModulesImplementing<ModuleCommand>().Count > 0)
      {
        //do what you want to do with the this command module
      }
    }

Probably could use FindModuleImplementing instead but you would have to null check that one.

This isn't tested but should work.

thank you.

So if you don't intercept the call, how do you make CraftHistory work?

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

thank you.

So if you don't intercept the call, how do you make CraftHistory work?

I replace the buttons with my own and use the onEditorShipModified event. But replacing the buttons as you know has the disadvantage of not being fully compatible with other mods.

Just now, SpaceTiger said:

I replace the buttons with my own and use the onEditorShipModified event. But replacing the buttons as you know has the disadvantage of not being fully compatible with other mods.

Ah, ok.

thanks for the explanation

On 6/3/2016 at 9:32 PM, Witacha said:

Do you have plans for making this mod compatible with KSP 1.1.2? Bit of a noob here, just got ckan and I didn't see your mod listed there. Thanks for the help. o/

The update is being worked on, read the last 2 pages of the thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.