[1.8.x] CraftHistory - 2.2.1 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

If you wanted to implement a label like function but do so using windows folder structure you could simply store all craft in a special folder you don't display and then place windows file links to the craft files in the windows folder structure. You would then have the same craft in multiple folders but have only one physical craft file for that ship.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, SpaceKitty said:

So the way we built the new and improved CraftHistory is as follows (picture included for deconfusion):
 We have implemented a folder structure to replace the old category system. This folder structure is now no longer just a visual representation of your categories but will get physically saved on your HDD. Essentially a category is now an actual folder (or sub-folder).
 As is right now you can save your current craft into the category i.e. folder (or sub-folder) you have currently open. Also you can move it out of its current folder and into another one simply by dragging and dropping it. This function works pretty much like cut-paste.
 As a possible solution for people who like to have a craft in more than one category we could implement a copy-paste function. This would however mean that the craft file itself will get saved into 2 (or more depending on how many places it got copied to) places on the HDD.
 We have been brainstorming this and found that the folder structure as opposed to the old tagging system is not only a neater way of organizing the crafts but also a lot less resource intensive since it will only have to load the crafts in the currently open folder as opposed to the old CH that would always load up all of the craft files every time you opened it up.

We are currently working on a tree structure view for the categories(folders) which should make it easier to navigate. And also adding a slider to scale the UI.

Let us know what you think.:)

This I my least favorite idea.  It removes functionality that was one of the main reasons I used craft history. I have ships that fit into multiple categories, we all do... forcing a single choice makes the mod less versatile. Is there any way to put this sort of feature back?

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for something just like this, look forward to the update.

As for the changes, I like the idea of only one category per ship if this means faster loading, as that's mainly what I was looking for. I currently keep my ships in subfolders within the VAB folder and Alt+Tab to it when I enter the VAB to pull the craft I want into the folder so it only spends time loading just those ships. Having a means of doing this in-game would be nice...

• 3 weeks later...

I too, am very curious.

I simply hate the stock save system, craft history not only organises crafts, it also has an effect of helping with mission structure due to it's cataloguing nature.

Space Tiger, kind sir, would there be any possibility of you updating the current mod to 1.3 before you release the new one so we have some use out of craft history's glory?  If I keep using the stock save system pretty soon flying monkeys will defecate on my house and goblins will eat my children. 

ps - your mod is simply awesome and worthy of being stock a million times over so thank you kindly for making it

Edited by Maars

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, SpaceTiger said:

We just uploaded a prerelease of CraftHistory 2.0.0 for KSP 1.2.3.

Use with caution and backup your savegame!

This is a release to gather feedback of what works good and what doesn't, as well as finding bugs that we didn't catch.

Download here

Your version of KSP this is built for is....   confusing.  Is this for 1.1.3 or 1.2-pre?

Tried it on 1.2.1517-pre and if does not load :( 

14 hours ago, smurphy34 said:

Your version of KSP this is built for is....   confusing.  Is this for 1.1.3 or 1.2-pre?

Tried it on 1.2.1517-pre and if does not load :( 

It is for KSP 1.1.3.

Once KSP 1.2 releases we will build CraftHistory for it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @SpaceTiger, by no means an exhaustive test, but firing up a new sandbox game in 1.2pre, I've copied over all my old craft into the "stock" folders, but they don't appear in the CraftHistory list. Creating / saving a new craft does seem to work. Is this as intended? does it ignore "stock" craft?

On 7.10.2016 at 5:10 AM, Beetlecat said:

Hey @SpaceTiger, by no means an exhaustive test, but firing up a new sandbox game in 1.2pre, I've copied over all my old craft into the "stock" folders, but they don't appear in the CraftHistory list. Creating / saving a new craft does seem to work. Is this as intended? does it ignore "stock" craft?

Oversight on our part.

We added a new toggle next to the VAB/SPH toggles that allow you to switch between the stock ships folder and the save games ships folder.

As usual: If you find any bugs just report them here :).

Edited by SpaceTiger

5 hours ago, SpaceTiger said:

Oversight on our part.

We added a new toggle next to the VAB/SPH toggles that allow you to switch between the stock ships folder and the save games ships folder.

As usual: If you find any bugs just report them here :).

Oh, Splendid!

This has the added benefit of hiding stock craft from a career game --when you want to allow them, but not be inundated by them. In my case, I love to collect other people's designs and it gets pretty busy in "load" dialog.

@SpaceTiger: There seems to be a bug with the way you add your button to the toolbar. I installed CraftHistory version 2.0.3 and KerboKatzUtilities 1.4.2 (via CKAN), and whenever I go to the VAB or SPH, the toolbar buttons disappear. I can make them show briefly when mousing over the toolbar, but it's mostly flickering. I can click buttons, but I just can't see which ones I actually click at.

Edit: I've done more testing, and I can't 100% conclude that it's CraftHistory or KerboKatzUtilities causing it. I will be doing more tests...

Edit 2:Ok, you can disregard this report. As of now, I can safely say CraftHistory isn't the cause for the issue.

Edited by Tivec

1 hour ago, SpaceTiger said:

Try out the newest KerboKatzUtilities it should fix that exception.

Thanks, I've grabbed version 1.4.3 and its stopped the exceptions on loading VAB...

However its now not opening the load menu and throwing exceptions when you click load:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvre4fdgcvyd3lv/output_logkerbutil.txt?dl=0

2 hours ago, Torih said:

Thanks, I've grabbed version 1.4.3 and its stopped the exceptions on loading VAB...

However its now not opening the load menu and throwing exceptions when you click load:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvre4fdgcvyd3lv/output_logkerbutil.txt?dl=0

Figured out what was going wrong. Give it another try with the now again updated KerboKatzUtilities.

19 minutes ago, SpaceTiger said:

Figured out what was going wrong. Give it another try with the now again updated KerboKatzUtilities.

Thanks, its opening the craft menu now and not seeing any exceptions :) 

• 1 month later...

Okay, I used this mod for about week and it is amazing thing, most of its functionality should be stock at least, like folder support and history.

But its way to work with "stock" crafts is not intuitive after using stock load/save system.

If you load "stock" ship, you can then edit it and save, replacing stock one without any clue about it, just because you forgot to switch it to "local" mode by clicking right button. At least it should not allow to do this so easily. Better is to always save into save's own directory like stock game does, because it is the way people used to. And, probably, for convenience, there can be a way to edit stock ships enabled by some switch.

So you can have this use case:

1) You have generic ships designed in Sandbox/downloaded/shipped with stock game

2) In your carreer save you load stock ships and make local modifications like adding science or payloads to suit your needs, saving them for local use, while stock storage is intact.

It can be implemented in stock game easily while it is not safe to use stock ships with this mod (well, at least, you can get older version because history now present, so it is not critical, just little annoying).

So, possible solution idea from me: optional way (checkbox) to switch it automatically into mode where it always opens/saves ships in save's own storage. So, when it is on you press "open" and it is not listing stock directory, you press "save" and ship is saved into saves/foobar/Ships/whatever/ directory.

On 16.11.2016 at 9:17 PM, Kolago said:

I like to sort my ships by age, last worked on first. Is this possible?

This isn't possible right now, but it should be doable in the next patch.

On 22.11.2016 at 2:08 PM, ThirdOfSeven said:

Okay, I used this mod for about week and it is amazing thing, most of its functionality should be stock at least, like folder support and history.

But its way to work with "stock" crafts is not intuitive after using stock load/save system.

If you load "stock" ship, you can then edit it and save, replacing stock one without any clue about it, just because you forgot to switch it to "local" mode by clicking right button. At least it should not allow to do this so easily. Better is to always save into save's own directory like stock game does, because it is the way people used to. And, probably, for convenience, there can be a way to edit stock ships enabled by some switch.

So you can have this use case:

1) You have generic ships designed in Sandbox/downloaded/shipped with stock game

2) In your carreer save you load stock ships and make local modifications like adding science or payloads to suit your needs, saving them for local use, while stock storage is intact.

It can be implemented in stock game easily while it is not safe to use stock ships with this mod (well, at least, you can get older version because history now present, so it is not critical, just little annoying).

So, possible solution idea from me: optional way (checkbox) to switch it automatically into mode where it always opens/saves ships in save's own storage. So, when it is on you press "open" and it is not listing stock directory, you press "save" and ship is saved into saves/foobar/Ships/whatever/ directory.

Didn't think this use case through. I create an enhancement request on the issue tracker.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.