[WIP] Porp Gas Giant System [0.15]

Lillz

First off, this is a work in progress. Everything is subject to change and there's probably issue's you guys will find somewhere (Just mention them). This planet pack add's a gas giant past the orbit of Eeloo (of course, this could change too). There's only two main planets right now, but I plan on adding at least three more. This mod includes clouds for EVE. If you do not use EVE, simply delete the Boulderco folder. This mod also uses KopernicusTech. This comes pre-installed.

As I said, this is a WIP. If you find bugs, differences in 8k and 4k versions, or have suggestions, let me know.

bM5ud83.jpg

First, some images:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Planets:

Dent:

A desert moon with a thick, noxious atmosphere. It has a high gravity, 0.95g, and a radius of 626km. It is covered in volcanoes and maria This should make it a very interesting planet to visit.

Ice:

Another large moon with an atmosphere. It has a surface gravity of 0.85g. It is very cold there, the terrain is covered in ice. However, the sea is still liquid. This probably means it has one or more salts in solution.

Ioruta:

A small, rocky, crater ridden, icy body on a highly inclined orbit of Porp. It orbits quite far away from Porp and it should present an interesting challenge getting there.

Asteroid moons (Halved, Cyrus, Felix):

These small bodies reside in Porp's rings.

To do:

More moons

Biomes

More clouds

Fix the asteroid moons SOI

Other bugs

Install:

Extract to Gamedata folder.

Thanks to:

Gravitasi, who created Kopernicustech and TK planet pack, who's config's helped with so many PQS issues.

CaptRobau, who's Outer Planets Mod helped make this mod work.

_Augustus_, who helped on some issues I had.

And a bunch of othere people at the KopernicusTech thread.

Download:

8K/4k: Here

4k/2k: Here

Changelog:

0.15:
Added a customasteroids belt
No longer requires AVP
Changed Ice's texture and heightmap. It's ocean blends better now.
Fixed heightmap pixelation
Blended the colormap's better and depixelated them.
Added Ioruta
Other various beneficial things

Initial (0.1)

Edited by Lillz

Cyrus looks.... straaange.... for some reason I keep thinking "that's no moon..." *coughcough*starwarsrefference*coughcough*

Lol yah I thought that a few times too.... I'll probably make some references in the biomes

Lol yah I thought that a few times too.... I'll probably make some references in the biomes

not sure what your biomes are, but I'll check them next time I get a chance (that files huge and my internet be crap) but here's a good EVA in low Space report for a crater:

"Hmm... I wonder what would happen if I drop a bomb into the crater from here..."

not sure what your biomes are, but I'll check them next time I get a chance (that files huge and my internet be crap) but here's a good EVA in low Space report for a crater:

"Hmm... I wonder what would happen if I drop a bomb into the crater from here..."

Oh I haven't made biomes yet, I was saying I will make references ;p

Haha I'll use that

I'm working on a BetterAtmospheres config for this that makes Porp really look like a brown dwarf.

Also it's not anywhere near Flo's apoapsis, but it works where it is, I guess....

Yah, I decided that was too far out for my liking, hm that texture would be interesting to see.

The config won't work right. Can you make your cloud config not require AVP?

Shoot I totally forgot I used that in my pack. Hm, I just sent a PM to Astronomer asking if I can redistribute those textures. I'll release a version without tomorrow and mention that it's recommended to have AVP installed

Update: I uploaded a replacement config on the OP, check it out.

Edited by Lillz

I'd try to spice up the landscape of Ice and Dent. They seem awfully flat. I like the colors of Ice, the yellow/white go pretty well, and the atmosphere color matches nicely. Halved is a pretty interesting looking asteroid, but I think the terrain is a bit spikey. It just looks like a perlin noise was applied to it. Take your heightmap and apply a blur to it to smooth out the roughness and I found it to be a little nicer looking.

The other issue, and it's an issue I myself have had when trying to make asteroids, is the terrain on some of the others is too blocky. Like the terrain is made in minecraft. I'm honestly not too sure how to go about fixing this, I think it's just has to do with how the gradient is in the heightmap. It's like there's not enough vertices in the mesh to make a completely smooth transition or something.

I'd try to spice up the landscape of Ice and Dent. They seem awfully flat. I like the colors of Ice, the yellow/white go pretty well, and the atmosphere color matches nicely. Halved is a pretty interesting looking asteroid, but I think the terrain is a bit spikey. It just looks like a perlin noise was applied to it. Take your heightmap and apply a blur to it to smooth out the roughness and I found it to be a little nicer looking.

The other issue, and it's an issue I myself have had when trying to make asteroids, is the terrain on some of the others is too blocky. Like the terrain is made in minecraft. I'm honestly not too sure how to go about fixing this, I think it's just has to do with how the gradient is in the heightmap. It's like there's not enough vertices in the mesh to make a completely smooth transition or something.

Yah, I agree. Ice, though, is a very flat planet in Space Engine, so I'm going to try to keep to that, but it could be better. Dent, I'm going to add some more PQS to. About Halved, what version are you using (4k or 8k)? I just looked on my 8K and it is spiky, I agree. I updated the PQS to make it less so, but some of the asteroid is naturally spiky. I totally agree about the pixelation thing, though. You only notice it if your zoomed out in game view (not map view). If you're at regular zoomage in game, you don't notice it as much. Blurring would probably fix this too, unless it has something to do with PQS.

edit: I missed this -- did you try a blur with Halved or were you suggesting to? if you did, what % did you apply?

Edited by Lillz

I made a video for this!

Nice! Why does Porp look so featureless on your end, though?

edit: Update -- Applying a surface blur to the heightmap of a planet cures that pixelation.

Edited by Lillz

Gonna release an update soonish.

Changes:

Adds new iceball planet on a highly inclined orbit of Porp. It is 100% icey and very mountainous. Name is Snowball (for now).

Fixes pixelation of heightmap via blur.

Changes Ice's surface to a whole different planet. I like it a lot more and the transition from land to water is a lot better.

Ice's orbit is now 4k further out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.