Where would you land on Laythe?

Aegrim

So my Laythe mission is almost fully constructed, and my rover for scouting landing sites is on it's way. But since my lander and rover can only visit one Island I can't make my mind up on which to visit.

I want to pick either one with the best views, or a one NASA would pick but I don't know what criteria they'd go by to pick it (would they ask geologists?).

icByyZW.png

I'm thinking either the far western island because of it's lakes, or the far north eastern island or the one just to the south of it because they have some nice craters.

On land :P

Since Laythe is tidally locked to Jool, I usually like to land so that I can see that gas giant on the horizon. It''s not exactly what NASA would try for, but it does ​make for some epic screenshots.

Agree with this. I recently landed my first mission there and the first attempt I landed on the "dark" side of Laythe. Couldn't view Jool. F9 FTW. Also I would suggest that depending on fuel and your inclination just pick one on the "light" side.

2935543083B7E3F83B9AFA8FFF6C16BE088B2DF6

Edited by Bigbootie

Which one has the most biomes? (the KSP version of which one NASA would pick.)

I'm looking for a site for a permanent colony. (outpost really)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm waiting for mine-able resources before going to jool. Then I can circumnavigate with a refueling space-plane.

I'm planing on circumnavigation with fuel I brought from home.

and I just finished designing my 80 m/s Jet Speedboat!

I'm waiting for mine-able resources before going to jool. Then I can circumnavigate with a refueling space-plane.
Why wait? Someone, a few versions back (I think around 0.20?) planted a flag on every island on Laythe. I'm also fairly certain he didn't use a mining mod because he mentioned a fleet of refuelers in orbit. If your plane is small enough you should have no problems bringing enough fuel to do the job.

Why wait? Someone, a few versions back (I think around 0.20?) planted a flag on every island on Laythe. I'm also fairly certain he didn't use a mining mod because he mentioned a fleet of refuelers in orbit. If your plane is small enough you should have no problems bringing enough fuel to do the job.

That doesn't sound too hard to do with a spaceplane. I've seen some return designs but mine unfortunately can only get there and not back without refueling. Of course you could always do a nuclear mothership with detachable spaceplane, that should cover all your Laythe needs.

Well, for science, you should probably land near a caldera (I assume those are calderas, not crater impacts... one does have a central peak though.... that big ring though... I don't know what that is... its a circle in a flat projection map... but not nearly so on the 3d sphere...I doubt you could get an impact crater like that... or a volcanic caldera)...

I don't even know why Laythe has ice caps, if it has liquid water, its got to be due to tidal heating, not sun light.... so....

Anyway... I would choose that island south of that circled volcanic island, due to the low elevation, a presumable caldera, presuably and shallow bays and coves...

I don't know if it has a view of Jool though..

I've spent a lot of time going to most of the islands on Laythe (link also in my signature), and the thread has pictures from sites all around the moon...you may want to browse through it and find a site you like the looks of. Laythe has not had an art pass anytime recently, so the pictures still apply.

Bsalis's thread about planting a flag on every island on Laythe (linky) also has pics of the many islands.

Edited by Brotoro

Bear in mind Laythe isn't all flat gentle dunes, it has some intimidating terrain. For a first landing site I think NASA would choose somewhere easy. The island around 65 S, 80 E looks like the flattest outside of the ice caps.

But personally I just sent a boat :D

But since my lander and rover can only visit one Island I can't make my mind up on which to visit.

There's your mistake. Make your rover amphibious, and this isn't a problem. Granted, this is a lot harder in stock, since Firespitter's all-electric propellers make things a LOT easier, but it can still be done using high-efficiency engines (jets, ions, etc.).

My 0.25 Laythe "rover", shown during its testing phase:

lKedqoP.png

It's a rover, it's a boat, and it's a plane. In the water, only the lowest pontoons were submerged, and everything else was above the surface. The only real headache was that you had to transition from land to water SLOWLY (< 5m/s), which obviously made landing on water from the air out of the question. In 0.90 I've added a few more mods, which have made this process a lot better, but the same basic design is still valid.

There are other threads showing screenshots of interesting rover designs, some of which are amphibious. For Laythe, these sorts of designs are practically required unless you want to make a large static base.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.