Where would you land on Laythe?

Aegrim

Here ( black box to the left ):

VFvyzDw.jpg

It is in the equator ( so in the warmest and most sheltered from Jool ( possible ) magnetic field area of Laythe ), has relatively high altitudes nearby, but also a nice flat area to land planes and a sheltered bay for eventual boat docking facilities. And more ( puts biochemist RL hat ), those lakes nearby surely have some interesting stuff to investigate ;)

It is too bad it is away from the big crater ocean, but well, you can't have it all ...

My 0.25 Laythe "rover", shown during its testing phase:

http://i.imgur.com/lKedqoP.png

It's a rover, it's a boat, and it's a plane. In the water, only the lowest pontoons were submerged, and everything else was above the surface. The only real headache was that you had to transition from land to water SLOWLY (< 5m/s), which obviously made landing on water from the air out of the question. In 0.90 I've added a few more mods, which have made this process a lot better, but the same basic design is still valid.

Have you tried Ferram's Better Buoyancy?

I haven't touched it myself yet but I'm eyeing Laythe too now and I'm thinking about making a proper sea-plane to explore the moon.

I'm not much of an airplane guy so I'm taking things slowly but BB is definitely on my to-try mod list..

That doesn't sound too hard to do with a spaceplane. I've seen some return designs but mine unfortunately can only get there and not back without refueling. Of course you could always do a nuclear mothership with detachable spaceplane, that should cover all your Laythe needs.

Did that once, back in 0.20 or so. That was fun. Basically a VTOL kethane drill/refinery with turbojets. This was before kethane had the generator, hence the semi-functional solar panels.

We explored just about every island with this. If you are not uncomfortable with space planes, I highly recommend a similar plan.

Here ( black box to the left ):

http://i.imgur.com/VFvyzDw.jpg

It is in the equator ( so in the warmest and most sheltered from Jool ( possible ) magnetic field area of Laythe ), has relatively high altitudes nearby, but also a nice flat area to land planes and a sheltered bay for eventual boat docking facilities. And more ( puts biochemist RL hat ), those lakes nearby surely have some interesting stuff to investigate ;)

It is too bad it is away from the big crater ocean, but well, you can't have it all ...

Yeah I've pretty much decided to land on this island thanks, rover reaches Jool SOI in 362days.

I'm not too far from there. Here's my location:

6AgsI9z.png

I had some jets scout out potential landing sites before committing my main base.

The views:

VZMwKaH.png

In the foreground is my Hopper Lander and Rover. The base in the background.

View from the Base's forward command capsule.

Lmi7Stc.png

It wasn't my initial landing for my base. I actually landed a bit farther inland to the east on uneven terrain. I had enough fuel to relocate the base here.

Edited by Landge

• 2 years later...

After few unsuccessful attempts to land on ground, i was able to land spaceplane full of fuel (mk2 fuselage, 2x rapier, 2x nerv) in sea in Laythe near an island, then swim with low-thrust on rapiers to the ground and get on beach ground. Rest was easy, just took off laythe, refuelled spaceplane on orbit and send it back to Kerbin. :) 

Edited by vasimv

Depends on whether your spaceplane has good pitch authority and enough wingage to quickly change course when you change pitch and not stall quickly. If yes, pick an island, any island. They all are frustrating to land but doable if your spaceplane meets the requirements. If not, poles all the way.

Edited by ave369

The original question was years ago, I don’t think the poster is still looking for answers. But if we’re just chatting about Laythe - I think it just makes sense to build seaplanes and taxi to shore. The water is much flatter than the islands and easier to control your terminal descent rate. 

There’s also flat frozen ground on the poles, with good odds to have high ore concentration if you’re playing on harder settings. 

On 2/16/2015 at 8:45 AM, Aegrim said:

I'm thinking either the far western island because of it's lakes, or the far north eastern island or the one just to the south of it because they have some nice craters

The long equatorial island on the far left is the best place.  It has reasonably flat places to land but interesting hills and lakes plus is big enough to make a rover worthwhile.  The other big islands on the far right of the map are very mountainous and hard to do anything with.  The other islands are too small.

Really, the best way to do Laythe is by air, especially seaplanes.  Amphibious rovers work, too

• 2 years later...
On 2/16/2015 at 3:45 PM, Aegrim said:

So my Laythe mission is almost fully constructed, and my rover for scouting landing sites is on it's way. But since my lander and rover can only visit one Island I can't make my mind up on which to visit.

I want to pick either one with the best views, or a one NASA would pick but I don't know what criteria they'd go by to pick it (would they ask geologists?).

icByyZW.png

I'm thinking either the far western island because of it's lakes, or the far north eastern island or the one just to the south of it because they have some nice craters.

Here7Jbbxqa.jpg

13 hours ago, Mortimer Kerman said:

Here7Jbbxqa.jpg

I landed a bit south east on the flat area. My base was not very accurate to land. Area had all the resources and was easy to land planes at. 
Only downside was that some biomes was on the other side of the moon so I needed to drop an fuel depot at the rim of the crater bay. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.