Running into KSP players in the real world.

NecroBones

I encountered a young chap that plays KSP at Steampunk gig once. Also, a friend's husband plays KSP occasionally, and a local friend of mine has tried the demo but hasn't tried the game proper yet due to having too many things already eating up his time. I'm hopeful of persuading hom once v1.0 is out! :-) But the game's name is getting out there - many of my work colleagues as well as my friends know that I play the game, and I suspect one or two may give it a go, too!

I once put together a small meetup of KSP players at the Air & Space museum's Virginia annex (where they have the shuttle.) About 10 of us showed up, ranging in age from preteens to 40+.

I live about 20 minutes from there. Hit me up the next time you plan an outing!

• 6 months later...

Not a real life encounter, but close enough.

Hi there. I have been playing AT-ROBOTS on and off since '96. Yeah. I had to stalk your profile and website just to be sure. Hehe. I see you're heavily into KSP now. Quite a refreshing surprise. Cool!

I've met a couple on other forums (which doesn't seem unlikely, unless you know the types of forums I frequent). But IRL, no, haven't met anyone. But that isn't too surprising. I live in the middle of nowhere, I don't meet very many people IRL in general.

Not a real life encounter, but close enough.

Hi there. I have been playing AT-ROBOTS on and off since '96. Yeah. I had to stalk your profile and website just to be sure. Hehe. I see you're heavily into KSP now. Quite a refreshing surprise. Cool!

Yeah, talk about a blast from the past! That was one of my college "projects" (that is, things I did instead of my classwork, but helped put me into my career anyway). Good times. :)

Not yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I met one after I (hopefully) start my uni studies next year. I'm applying for the third largest university in the country. Roughly 75% of its 19000 students are in one of the 4 schools of science and technology (school of science, school of engineering, school of electrical engineering, school of chemical technology), all located on the same campus, so there should be plenty of people who have at least heard of KSP :)

well, not really necro, see....

while the thread is old - it is also a "collection" type thread - in which people gather accounts of their experiences in regards to some such event... in this case - running into KSP players in the, uh real world? -- where is this fantastic imaginary place you call "real world"? most creative idea there, never heard of such...

eh, so:

Not yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I met one after I (hopefully) start my uni studies next year. I'm applying for the third largest university in the country. Roughly 75% of its 19000 students are in one of the 4 schools of science and technology (school of science, school of engineering, school of electrical engineering, school of chemical technology), all located on the same campus, so there should be plenty of people who have at least heard of KSP :)

you see -- that's a very well on-topic reply, to a thread that is intended to gather a compilation of just those...

now:

7 month old thread necro'd.

page 3: last post February 2015

this is a largely less insightful remark than the alleged "offense" it refers to - just saying.... :P:D

either way, no harm here -- no need to overdo the necro rule, if you got something to add, you ain't raising the dead - you're just waking up something that's been long asleep, you know... like: A Bear

uhh...

*runs fast and far*

Has anyone here just happened to run into other KSP players out there in the real world? Other than friends, of course.

I don't know about KSP players, but pretty much everybody I meet at work is defiinitely a Kerbal. As in your "Jeb moment", only usually they don't fair so well as you did. See, I'm a firefighter and AT LEAST 99% of my business is the direct result of stupidity.

I work at a rocket company, but I'm still a bit of an amateur at Kerbal. One lunch hour with some of the other young engineers, the conversion went to video games. I mentioned KSP, and everyone instantly knew what I was talking about, but I think I'm the only one who was really a fan.

I've tried to get my engineering-minded nephew into KSP, but he's more excited about the mods that allow robots than "serious" rocket science. He managed to get to orbit once, but ran out of fuel when he got there. I keep encouraging him to keep trying, but he's also way behind the updates, since his folks wisely limit his computer time.

I was at a vendor sponsored seminar/meeting a couple months ago for work. While the vendor was doing his 3 hour long 'dog-and-pony' show about how his product could save my company money, etc, I took out my laptop and began playing some KSP. A guy from another company sitting behind me came up to me during one of the breaks and asked what I was playing. I told him it was a game called KSP and he said something like: "Oh. I thought you worked for Lockheed or Boeing and you were modeling a missile launch or simulating something like that."

My wife got me a KSP t-shirt for xmas last year, the one with the faces of Jeb, Bob, and Bill on it. I wore it one time I was out doing stuff and stopped in at a bar for a quick pint, and another person in the bar saw it and asked me how many times I've killed Jeb.

Not "in the wild", per se, but I have Skype calls with a friend of mine as the two of us play our respective games. After hearing what must have been days' worth of delta-v and orbital period and TWR calculations aloud, he actually asked me to get him KSP as a Christmas gift this coming winter.

A shipmate of mine in the Navy was a casual KSP-er. That's the only "In the wild" encounter of a fellow KSP player.

A few months ago I went to a big outdoor wedding with a pleasantly goofy attitude and a dinosaur theme. Many of the guests didn't already know each other, so there was a make-your-own namebadge station. Most folks were making badges listing their names and favorite dinosaurs, but I noticed one of them had the fellow's name, a hand-drawn kerbalnaut, and the text "ASK ME ABOUT MY KERBALS." So I did. He lives halfway across the continent, but we've been talking online ever since.

Well, I was in California over the summer.

There was an astronomy night near Marin County.

A few of my relatives were there and I was looking at Sirius through a guy's telescope.

Then one of my relatives asked what was the name of the game I loved so much. I responded, "KSP"!

Then the guy told me he played KSP too. He had a GKO station.

That was a first.

This happened to me last year at the ESA - ESTEC event in the Netherlands. Of course at such an event I was bound to run into KSP players. I was wandering through the facility when I entered a big hall that had models of rovers, probes, capsules, and the ISS. I was admiring all these models when I heard someone explain the chronological order of construction of the ISS. I turned around and saw that a son (roughly 15y) was explaining to his father how the ISS was constructed and what the purposes were of each of the modules. I asked the son if he was aware of KSP (because if he wasn't, I thought that would be a missed oppertunity). In response he looked at me as if I were a complete idiot, because "of course he knew about KSP!". He then confessed that he learned all the info of the ISS by watching the "project gateway" series from KSP youtuber Bob Fitch.

Still makes me smile when I think about it, and I was really happy to see so many young people interested and excited by science.

Okay I just remembered this one. I was at London Science Museum, at the place where Apollo 10 CM is displayed, I heard a little kid boasting to his friend at how he got something to the Mun and back.

Oh hey, you went there too? I visited it myself just last April, when I was touring Europe...~~~Gets off topic

To be honest, the only person I met that has played KSP is the person who introduced me to it and a couple others, and.. that's all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.