Iran unveils mockup of their one-man ship

xenomorph555

This thread is dedicated to the update and discussion of information on the "Class E", an Iranian one man spacecraft that should fly suborbital missions in the 2016-18 period.

The Class E was announced in mid February 2015 with a mockup and will fly it's first flight in 2016. As such many update are likely to come through in the mean time, they will be posted on this thread.

Feel free to post any information, thoughts or questions you may have.

Political posts will not be tolerated though due to the nature of this sub-thread.

Ad Astra!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today in a space exhibition Iran has unveiled it's manned space capsule. The project has been running for at least 4 years and is the successor to Iran's Kavoshgar program (suborbital biological and scientific mission).

The capsule has a crew of just 1.

Is 1800kg all together with the capsule being 1000kg and the service module being 800kg.

It has a height of 2.3m and a width of 1.85m.

For it's first iteration the capsule will take Iranian astronauts on scientific suborbital missions to 175km most likely on a Shabab-3 or Ghadr-F based rocket.

The capsule shown is an advanced mockup using some real prototype hardware.

It is hoped that a manned flight could take place in 2 years.

resized_909788_427.jpg

resized_909781_986.jpg

resized_909657_507.jpg

resized_909793_238.jpg

Edited by xenomorph555

What ever happened to their mission that was going to launch a Persian cat into orbit? (I am not making that up.)

I have heard of that, they said it would be on the next Kavoshgar missions, which will likely be the test flights of this capsule.

As well as a cat, apes will be the main animal for flights.

- - - Updated - - -

The futuristic Cyberpunk version of the Mercury spacecraft XD

It has a very Dragon feel.

And bigger window. I think :)

Yes.

What ever happened to their mission that was going to launch a Persian cat into orbit? (I am not making that up.)

There appears to be somebody deep in the english translation department of press TV who doesn't know the difference between 'space' and 'orbit', so we keep getting results like this. Those reports refer to the second Kavoshgar suborbital launch, which ultimately carried another Rhesus monkey.

There appears to be somebody deep in the english translation department of press TV who doesn't know the difference between 'space' and 'orbit', so we keep getting results like this. Those reports refer to the second Kavoshgar suborbital launch, which ultimately carried another Rhesus monkey.

Yes this is true, it should be noted any mention of satellites=orbit, anything biological=suborbit.

They aren't mixing it up with the monkey, there are planning on launching a cat :P

Before and after photos?

That's one disturbed cat :S

hopefully they will be a little more lucky than Liberty Bell 7 (I hope you know the reference)

Considering Iran is landlocked I would be very surprised if that did happen.

A manned flight in just 2 years? It seems to be too optimistic but it is indeed exciting though. This capsule looks very good.

The Mercury program was started in 1959, first flight in 1961.

This program has been going on since 2011.

It's also just suborbital, not too difficult. The orbital flights will take place in the 2020's.

A manned flight in just 2 years? It seems to be too optimistic but it is indeed exciting though. This capsule looks very good.

They already have a rocket well in development large enough to carry it (Simorgh), and they've just finished a new launch complex for it. Should see flight this year or next.

The Mercury program was started in 1959, first flight in 1961.

This program has been going on since 2011.

It's also just suborbital, not too difficult. The orbital flights will take place in the 2020's.

Yes but the Mercury program got a large budget. I don't know how much this one gets but if they are really committed to human exploration than maybe it will happen without delays. I hope there will be no problems.

Yes but the Mercury program got a large budget. I don't know how much this one gets but if they are really committed to human exploration than maybe it will happen without delays. I hope there will be no problems.

Good point although the only large problems that could halt progress are further reforms or ISIS getting involved.

Mercury was also pioneering a relatively poorly understood field. It's much, much cheaper to do something the second time, or thousandth time, when there are previous projects to guide you.

Mercury was also pioneering a relatively poorly understood field. It's much, much cheaper to do something the second time, or thousandth time, when there are previous projects to guide you.

Yes, good point.

I would also like to note if they decided to, they could probably fit a second man into it. But people don't tend to like Voskhod style architecture so...

At the risk of sounding like im stirring up political dissent, foreign sanctions will probably slow the development. I mean, very few nations in the international community would like Iran to have a launcher capable of sending a man into orbit, seems like it would be easy enough to convert into an ICBM launcher...

At the risk of sounding like im stirring up political dissent, foreign sanctions will probably slow the development. I mean, very few nations in the international community would like Iran to have a launcher capable of sending a man into orbit, seems like it would be easy enough to convert into an ICBM launcher...

Your not stirring up anything, in fact your probably right. Though for the time being others are mainly focusing on the nuclear program rather then rockets, for now anyway.

Oh yeah your right. Well at least the launch site is in the middle of a desert far away from the sea, that will keep the suborbital astronauts safe.

trajectory depending...if they go south and EXTREMELY shallow...they could have enough delta V to plop into the ocean (which I am sure they have planned for that event). Besides, there is also a matter of public safety! If that rocket happened to go the way of the Kerbals, you'd want the debris to come down over and area where you are sure no one is going to be...an ocean/sea/uninhabitable land (in the thoughts toward Baikanour).

This has me concerned. I trust the bright minds of my country to do what they do best. It's just that the government is using this as a gesture of "independence" and "power". Whereas I think space is all about unity and humbleness.

But I have to say, I'm also very excited, that capsule looks so cool!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.