Devnote Tuesday: Full Steam Ahead!

SQUAD

I guess this explains why they're dead set on a 1.0 release. A lot of storefronts don't sell early access titles so they have to get to 1.0. It might be a stretch to assume this, but it seems to me like boxed copies might also be an option.

I'm not quite sure if this explains their reasoning for 1.0. They're already on Steam. That's good enough for the PC, if we're being honest.

I'm not quite sure if this explains their reasoning for 1.0. They're already on Steam. That's good enough for the PC, if we're being honest.

I'm sure there are other factors as well that ultimately led to this decision (they said as much in the initial 1.0 announcement), but this early decision of "we're almost ready for 1.0" might have prompted them to start negotiations with other storefronts before the community announcement, and these negotiations might have locked them into a timeframe that made them think that there wasn't enough time for further betas.

Edit: I use Steam like many others, but I also know a lot of people who don't want to deal with a steam account for various reasons and would be more inclined to purchase from a place like gog.com, or a boxed copy.

Edited by Lord Aurelius

I'm sure there are other factors as well that ultimately led to this decision (they said as much in the initial 1.0 announcement), but this early decision of "we're almost ready for 1.0" might have prompted them to start negotiations with other storefronts before the community announcement, and these negotiations might have locked them into a timeframe that made them think that there wasn't enough time for further betas.

Edit: I use Steam like many others, but I also know a lot of people who don't want to deal with a steam account for various reasons and would be more inclined to purchase from a place like gog.com, or a boxed copy.

I tend to doubt this. I think there was just a simple decision that they felt it would be easier to just do all the updates at once and integrate them and balance the game altogether in one go than string it out over multiple releases. And really, looking at the list, you're probably looking at, at most, one additional release anyway.

Assuming all the aerodynamic-related stuff is all one release - and it would probably have to be - what does one have left? Basically resources, female kerbals, Level 1 KCS, and a few other smaller updates which could easily be put into a single additional update. Perhaps they looked at this, and though that 2nd update was so small that they just as well combine it all.

@FleetAdmiralJ

I don't mind if they roll all the major systems into one update (and with something like aerodynamics that kind of forces a major rebalance anyways), the issue is that this particular update is scheduled to be 1.0.

When such major systems are being overhauled and new features are being added, you need to do a LOT of testing to make sure everything works as intended, and doubly so for a 1.0 release since you're now past the point that people are willing to overlook issues. Like I said, I'm sure that the QA team is talented and capable, but that hasn't stopped major bugs from slipping through in the past that were quickly discovered by the community.

Balance is also a big unknown, the game hasn't really been balanced at all to speak of up to this point and we don't know what direction Squad will take on this, they might pick a balance that works well for their QA team but then quickly find it doesn't really fit the majority of players once it's released.

I really hope Squad gets this right, but from looking at past releases and good software development practices I'm concerned that 1.0 will have some major issues that were overlooked in testing that will require another patch to make it the 1.0 it should have been, at which point it's too late to undo any bad reviews.

@FleetAdmiralJ

I don't mind if they roll all the major systems into one update (and with something like aerodynamics that kind of forces a major rebalance anyways), the issue is that this particular update is scheduled to be 1.0.

Don't forget that there is also the experimentals team that is essentially there to be squad's beta testers. IIRC both 0.23.5 and 0.24 were delayed because of major bugs the experimental team ferreted out.

Also, while I don't think they've ever really said this, I've always gotten the feeling that they don't see their player base as a testing bed. And releasing the game as a 0.91 beta "just in case" release is treating their player base as a testing bed. I'm sure there are many early access games that produce their games with that viewpoint - and that's fine. I'm not sure that's how SQUAD sees their production cycle, however.

Having said that, yes, if there are any major bugs that slip through, that will make them look bad, which is probably one major reason why they appear to be taking their time testing and testing and testing this release.

The last secret project was destructible buildings. What could this be then? Destructible terrain? New planets? New easter eggs*? More launch sites, for example KSC2 & the Old Airfield?

If the last secret project was destructible then for balance this one needs to be constructable.

Then again it's already what 80% done so this is purely wishful thinking but you can't build really pointy rockets without folding a few things up then deploying them in orbit.

Hopefully it's not something as equally useless as destructible buildings.

In all fairness, I asked about it when they were released as I also had a "why the heck did they add that?" initial reaction, and the destructible buildings were just an incremental step in developing upgradeable buildings

Upgradeable buildings are a significant, and what I consider to be positive addition to career mode that I think was well worth the effort involved. I personally wish they were far more moddable (and Squad has said they will be), but otherwise I really think they're a great addition the game.

But yeah, I do hear you on these "secret project" announcements that build up tons of hype often inevitably leading to disappointment about what they really turn out to be. I don't think any planned feature can hold up to the imaginations of players when the doors to speculation are thrown open like that.

I remember in one instance some of the hints they were dropping about a feature lead me to think that maybe they were going to add KAS to stock. I don't even remember what the actual feature wound up being instead, all I remember is my disappointment that it wasn't KAS.

I think every kid (and parent) quickly learns that if they keep getting told they're getting a super special surprise for their birthday, it better not be a pair of socks, and if it's anything less than a full set of fully functional time traveling mech armor, it's likely going to be at least a partial disappointment ;)

Edited by FlowerChild

I will be disappointed if it is not this now.

I would settle for rover wheels kicking up dust

As a prelude to engines also kicking up dust

As a prelude to general Shuriken system callbacks being available on all particle systems

Leading to aero-interactive wingtip vortices and leading edge aerodynamic condensation

OK I'll stop now

SQUAD DON'T REALLY NEED TO MENTION EVERY SINGLE BUG THEY'RE FIXING IN THE DEVNOTES.

No...but it would certainly make me happy to see comments like, "Oh...and we fixed the bug with the Claw that makes worlds crash" ...or, "We fixed the decoupler bug."

Why not call 'em out as they stomp 'em? It's not like it should be a surprise when a bug gets fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Secret feature? I'd like anything that lets me dump any of the mods I currently have to install.

So:

Clouds.

Alarm Clock.

Precision Node Adjustment.

Docking Camera.

...but it would be REALLY cool if they came up with a fantastic secret feature that just blows my mind because I never even thought it was needed, but it turns out to be revolutionarily wonderful.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry but Lagrange points are very unlikely. KSP physics system simplifies gravitational influences down to one planetary body; crafts are only influenced by the nearest one, and there's a complete hand-off when transferring from one sphere of influence (wiki info link) to the other.

This is my first time posting here. I made a profile just to say this because I think it would be awesome. I hope that the mystery project is Legrange Points. Having those areas out there to park a satellite would be awesome.

Take a look at the Principia project by Eggrobin which seeks to implement n-body physics

Could do it with an exception to the patched conics system, using ghost SOIs.

No. 10 chars...

...Just kidding! But no. Seriously. No. This thing has been hashed and rehashed and re-rehashed and literally every time N-body physics comes up as a suggestion, somebody suggests this, and it would not work because physics does not work that way.

Not that it's a big deal or anything. I mean, Legrange points aren't even that stable (EDIT: Did I say "that stable"? I meant to say not stable at all - at least, L1 through L3), except for the L4 and L5 points which, in this case, would lay *on* the orbit of the second body anyway. So, if you really want to pretend that Legrange points are a thing, you can do what I do and put your satellite up in the second body's orbit, and use save-file editing to remove any uncertainty in the orbit, then proceed to not touch it ever again. I use this strategy for my comms satellites in RemoteTech, and it's pretty effective.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.