Devnote Tuesday: Full Steam Ahead!

SQUAD

I hope the applauncher will become a bit more configurable.. after installing 3 or 4 mods it needs to scroll, which is not very userfriendly - especially since quite often a user doesn't even use half the buttons.

Yes please. Make the buttons smaller, able to move and temporarily hide them, give the user an option to make a folder to open a particular set of user-defined apps.. It's fine where it is (though I wouldn't say no to being able to float it), but right now, Blizzys Toolbar is still good to have around because you can customise it to a large extent.

What kinds of fairings are being considered beyond the the standard clamshell (which seems like a given)?

Interstage (like the S-IVB aft skirt or LM crocodile cover), point to point intrastage ones allowing shielded recesses?

Most definitely need interstage fairings.

I'm guessing new water for the secret feature...

But that would be high priority ish thing, we don't know how priority it is, it might be just another little convenience thing link the clamber if its low.. Planet if it was medium or water if high...

Great to hear that progress is progressing. We are one week closer to 1.0, whatever that ends up meaning! ;)

Adding a new planet seems a fairly trivial task, given that much of the planning for unreleased planets is done, the work is understood. I'd feel a bit let down if weeks of 'secret project' rumoring, resulted in "just another planet."

I would like to see a tie-in with ESA: they've granted permission for KSP to include their logos, and made a big news splash with the Rosetta mission. A comet, with a wild shape like Philae, a rotation at odds with its orbit, and surface sample return science, (perhaps a new surface sampling part, as well?) could be an interesting addition to the solar system. A comet could be a lot larger than existing asteroids, with micro-gravity like Bop. A new and unique place to visit.

I *love* all the mentions of asking for and getting feedback from QA. I suspect these were intentionally put in here to reassure us that even though you're not doing releases, things are being properly tested.

And for the most part - for me at least - it's working :)

A public beta test will always provide better results than an internal one.

edit: Not that it's bad to be positive about all this. Let's just remember that it was their decision to push to "1.0."

Edited by klgraham1013

I *love* all the mentions of asking for and getting feedback from QA. I suspect these were intentionally put in here to reassure us that even though you're not doing releases, things are being properly tested.
ehehehehehehe.jpg

I like the idea that Environmental Visual Enhancements is going to be stock. It matches the very spotty data we have and who doesn't want clouds?

I'd also like actual cities located where those lights are on the map, or wherever they put city lights at night, assuming of course that they integrate that part of EVE which - also of course - assumes they are integrating EVE in the first place.

There, have I assumed 6 impossible things yet? I've already had breakfast so it's too late to come in under that wire.

About different fairings, you could have a fairing base that would cover everything to its top side in a clam shell, but if you place another fairing base with opposite orientation then the fairing stops there.

This way you can generate interstage fairings and fairing into fairings without extra parts.

Well, you can also use the Procedural Fairings mod interstage to make engine boat tails, but I suppose stock will just model tank buttes and boat tails onto the engines themselves *grumble grumble*

For all the good stuff you are putting into this game I say THANK YOU!

But I think it is time for you, SQUAD, to answer to a question that many of us have.

WHEN WILL YOU ADDRESS THE GAME BREAKING BUG WHICH IS THE CONSTANT MEMORY LEAK THAT OCCURS WHEN WE ARE JUMPING INSTANCES?

I shall continue my doomsday predictions. Full speed ahead off a critical cliff. On the substance of the note, it looks ok, a bit better than previous updates. I really do not like your internal testing, as it has not stopped many bugs. As a bug watchdog, they seem more chihuahua than doberman. Also, why do you guys talk about secret features? You know it causes angst in the Community, is this your purpose?

why do you guys talk about secret features? You know it causes angst in the Community, is this your purpose?

A secret feature can become something else entirely without initiating a community dramastorm if it doesn't work out

Once people know what it is, you can't change it, or drop it, or anything else which might need doing

I bet the new secret feature is something like EVE becoming stock, with help from rbray89. It would explain why he isnt posting anymore but his last activity was yesterday, afaik it was the same when bac9 made the new KSC...

NO. don't speak out or it won‘t come true

For all the good stuff you are putting into this game I say THANK YOU!

But I think it is time for you, SQUAD, to answer to a question that many of us have.

WHEN WILL YOU ADDRESS THE GAME BREAKING BUG WHICH IS THE CONSTANT MEMORY LEAK THAT OCCURS WHEN WE ARE JUMPING INSTANCES?

That and the one where you crash when changing scenes sometimes and sometimes when you recover stuff. Which I suspect is caused by the memory leak problems.

Edited by smjjames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.