Massive psychological experiment in the KSP forums.

gmpd2000

Would you rather:  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather:

• Pull the lever and kill 1 person.
    • Do nothing and watch how 4 persons are killed.

The problem:

There are 4 workers in a train line, there is a train coming, the workers can't see the train nor they can be warned about it.

However, there is a lever that if pulled, it will put the train on an alternate train line where is only 1 worker on it.

If the train hits anyone, they will be killed.

Answer in the poll above.

Please:

DO NOT ATTACK PEOPLE BY THE CHOICE THEY'VE MADE!

Edited by gmpd2000

In theory, the solution is easy. To minimize damage, you pull the lever.

But there's a difference between "what is the best solution" and "what do you think you'd probably do".

Healthy brains would have an enormous difficulty deciding about this in an actual setting. Psychopaths' brains don't have such difficulties.

I don't see the difficulty. It's either kill four people by doing nothing or flip a switch that saves three of them. I'd consider it in terms of how many people are saved considering there is no solution for killing no one - therefore the lever is unquestionably the morally correct decision and i would have no trouble throwing it, nor would i feel guilty afterwards because I actually "saved" their lives.

If I pull the lever, I am taking an action that kills someone.

By not pulling the lever, I am not actively killing anyone.

In the calm of reading something on the internet, everyone answers "pull the lever". In the actual event, how many people would freeze up and not pull the lever for whatever reason?

True. You're standing by and allowing 4 people to die who you could have saved.

In the calm of reading something on the internet, everyone answers "pull the lever". In the actual event, how many people would freeze up and not pull the lever for whatever reason?

No way of knowing that short of actually putting them in that situation. Besides, it wouldn't answer the original question.

Best,

-Slashy

You're standing by and allowing 4 people to die who you could have saved.

Correct, but I would not be the active agent in those deaths. A person can rationalize their inaction that way.

"If I do something, I'm at fault. If I do nothing, I'm just an innocent bystander."

I'm not responsible for it, because:

They knew the risk and should have been paying attention.

Whoever sent the train down the track is to blame.

Safety procedures were not followed, causing it.

It's not my job.

I don't know if I could have reached the lever in time.

And so on.

No way of knowing that short of actually putting them in that situation. Besides, it wouldn't answer the original question.

And that's one of the reason such thought experiments don't always apply to reality. We all know what the "correct" answer is, but that doesn't explain why people will stand by and allow things they could have prevented.

Sounds familiar to something I heard they asked in the military. (Referenced from Chicken Hawk)

"You are driving a truck full of a platoon, and there are sheer drops off either end. A little girl walks out in front of you. Do you drive off the cliff, and kill your platoon. Or do you kill the little girl"

Obvious answer is to kill the girl. Or in this case, kill the other

Sounds familiar to something I heard they asked in the military. (Referenced from Chicken Hawk)

"You are driving a truck full of a platoon, and there are sheer drops off either end. A little girl walks out in front of you. Do you drive off the cliff, and kill your platoon. Or do you kill the little girl"

Obvious answer is to kill the girl. Or in this case, kill the other

Or just apply the brakes? :huh:

The vagueness of these things is misleading.

But you were in range of the lever, you had the power and the ability to save those four people. By standing by you may as well have been the one to kill them.

This one just sounds like laziness.

And yet people will still use it to rationalize their decisions. Also check out the "bystander effect".

As for changing the situation:

A group from <terrorist group> approaches you, and says "We need you to kill <political leader>. If you don't, we will kill these four random civilians."

As in the train experiment, If you act, one person dies. If you don't act, four people die. Does the situation change how you view the morality of action vs. inaction?

Or:

There's four workers on one track, and four workers on the other. If you allow the train to continue, four people will die. If you pull the lever, four people will die. Is pulling the lever as "correct" as not pulling the lever? In either case, four arbitrary people will die.

Pulling the lever is the only option. There's no reason I can think of to let more people die, assuming that they are all random people. Other than taking a moment to observe the situation, I probably wouldn't hesitate much to pull it - why wait to make the decision when it's already decided what needs to be done?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.