All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. taniwha

[1.4.4] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.1.0

@Immashift: Odd, I just tested here (in a cheated career save) and it works just fine. The lack of a "Sub" button to the right of "SPH" is worrying as it indicates something went wrong in the window setup (happens the first time you try to select a craft).
  3. MerlinsMaster

C J Cherryh's Downbelow Station in KSP

But in that situation, the docking port, while spinning, was only moving in one direction. Coop only had to match that direction, and then match the spin. In my scenario, the direction is continually changing. It is changing in a predictable manner, however, so it's conceivable that with a good enough RCS system and sufficient manueverability, that it could be done.
  4. Jesusthebird

How to make my parafoil actually fly?

Problem is...the chute doesnt work the same in the command seat vs freefall. So really the chute can only be used for lift wheres in freefall the kerbal has control of the lift, kinda like a moving control surface vs non moving wing surface. once deployed from a command seat its at a fixed point(way above the craft) so reaction wheels are needed for stability but will almost always tend want to flip eventually. Id like to find a way to make the command seat act like its a kerbal on eva(minus walking and jetpacks lol) so the chute can be controlled and reactions wheels wouldnt be needed.
  5. cubinator

SpaceX Discussion Thread

Wait, I think we might be overlooking a slight problem...do piano keys even work in 0-g? If not, you would need to incorporate a spring into the hammer mechanism. Also, I think a real piano would be awesome for morale, and an upright is only about 300 kg, so out of 150 t you could probably spare enough mass for at least an upright? That would be awesome to play the Blue Danube on!
  6. Gargamel

Well, there's the interstellar method, which is to kinda guess where the moving docking port is and just slam into it and pray....
  7. AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

[1.3.1] Real Exoplanets v0.1.0 [6/22/18]

@ProtoJeb21 You're the expert on exoplanets right? I was curious what your take on Tau Ceti e and f is. From what I've read, they both planets seem to be in a hazy spot between super-Earth and mini-Neptune.
  8. MerlinsMaster

I like her too. I read the Chanur series first, and now I'm just starting the Union-Alliance books. As for the ships being able to perform that maneuver, the problem is that the lateral movement of the ring is pretty fast, and the direction is constantly changing. A smaller ship, like the Rocinante in the Expanse, for example, might be able to do it because it is so maneuverable. But the Norway, as best as I can tell, is roughly the size of a medium container vessel, and I have considerable doubts it would be possible. Also, I was just discussing this with Winchell Chung from Atomic Rockets, and he expressed a concern that the Norway docking with the station would put the station wildly off balance. He said it would be like putting a cinder block in a dryer and running it.
  9. AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

So far it is just the Proxima Centauri and HD 10180 systems. There are more to come in the future! Once I start adding more systems, I'll create a running list of all them.
  10. MerlinsMaster

That's crazy, I was thinking that exact thing.
  11. This discussion of add-ons has been moved to Add-on Discussions.
  12. Hypercosmic

Awesome! By the way, do you have a list of all the new celestial bodies in this mod?
  13. Vanamonde

She did think of it, but assumes that crews/autopilots are competent to perform the maneuver. And she's one of my favorite authors.
  14. Vanamonde

What gameplay rules do you impose on yourself?

No intakes placed where they couldn't actually get airflow to engines. Anything going interplanetary gets at least one Hitchhiker module as living quarters. (Assuming it's crewed.)
  15. How about any controller support for PC running GNU/Linux? Will 1.4.5 be the KSP release with no serious regressions... The wait continues.
  16. Vanamonde

Nuclear engine to orbit

Extremely difficult, yet pointless. Classic KSP.
  17. How are we even gonna be able to launch anything we need? The sls is still years away.
  18. Xd the great

Redirect asteroid by mining it for reaction mass?

This works, but the energy requirement will be high.
  19. They are more environmentally damaging than rockets as we use them.
  20. B9 Aerospace v6.5.1 for KSP 1.4.2+ Release for KSP 1.4.2+ Fix RCS effects being backward and too big Update CryoTanks patch to be consistent with current CryoTanks I've loosened the .version restrictions a bit so AVC/CKAN will accept this on any KSP version between 1.4.2 and 1.4.99 Note, bundled dependencies are for KSP 1.4.4
  21. Zeiss Ikon

What did you do in KSP today?

Sometimes the runway wins. And sometimes, you just don't use it. I've been fighting with the FAI "contract" for first crewed mission past the speed of sound (arbitrarily set at 350 m/s for judging purposes -- I doubt there's a mod that adjusted the value of Mach 1 for temperature and pressure, nor is it really needed). I've had the parts to build an X-1 analog for a good while in my RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia career game, and had the craft built and on the runway several times -- but between the bumps in the runway (ridges all the way across the tarmac, nearly as high as the diameter of the wheels on small landing gear) and the tendency for the craft to veer left at around 50 m/s, plus the need to go significantly faster than that to get off the ground when laden with rocket propellant (the beautiful rifle bullet shape of the X-1 fuselage is, behind the cockpit, just a big tank loaded with Ethanol 75 and liquid oxygen, providing a four minute burn at full throttle for the XLR-11 rocket engine). I blew up that little spaceplane (and reverted) at least a dozen times, possibly as many as fifty (wasn't really counting). Meanwhile, I was flying sounding rocket missions, building better and better sounding rockets, culminating in an Aerobee 350 analog (it'd look better if we had a Nike solid rocket motor, but I made it work with a cluster of six Tiny Tim boosters from the original WAC Corporal). The science from those missions had gotten me access to the Castor 1 solid rocket motors, in a couple styles (these are mainly used as strap-ons on a variety of orbital launchers). A single Castor 1 has plenty of thrust to launch the Hyperfly vertically to around 15 km, and some big fins offset the Hyperfly's wings way up at the nose. Didn't think to take a VAB or pad shot; sorry. And once I had the HyperFly separated, it was a handful to control with the keyboard until I got the elevator trim set, so I forgot to take pictures while it was actually supersonic. I did, however, get a few glide shots: That's the Florida coast below the HyperFly; I tipped the launcher over to the south from Canaveral, and followed the coast all the way to Miami. Doesn't take long at up to 500 m/s (almost Mach 1.5). A different, somewhat better lit angle. Note that's a glide, at 200+ m/s. Air airliner altitude. This craft is very, very clean. The little bags on the sides of the cockpit are parachutes for landing. Small landing gear isn't very robust, in my experience, and this was a cheapish craft (what you see here costs about the same as a high altitude sounding rocket) -- and I wasn't taking off from the runway anyway, so I just left the landing gear off. When Val got low enough, she looked for an unpopulated location (on the edge of the Everglades, I think) to drop the airframe, separated the cockpit from the now-empty tank and wings, and descended under parachute. And now I have the technology to launch Kerbals into space. Jeb was the first to go, and almost got burned up coming back down (the RCS on the cockpit couldn't keep the heat shield forward); Val went up in a kind of Dyna-Soar analog, but it wasn't up to the heat, either. More science and funds, however, and now I've got actual space capsules -- and Jeb can make a proper suborbital flight! It's about time; the clock is ticking on the "First Orbit" contract, and FAI has a couple open prizes for "crew of two in space", "spend a (crewed) day in space", and so forth.
  22. Today
  23. Gargamel

What gameplay rules do you impose on yourself?

Kerbals have value. Not only does this mean perma death (Poor Jeb, found the re-entry flaw in a tourist bus... and the tourists too, but they don't count), but I use Final Frontier and Life support to give meaning and value to their existence, they just aren't a noisy and heavy probe core anymore. Ships are tested in a sandbox save, but once the testing phase is thought to be complete, any further testing is done "live" and costs money. Automation is allowed. Even simulated automation. But only once I have manually done a mission by hand (or at least with help). Routine launches and docking are automated. Stages are recovered. Milk runs, ie supplying a station with fuel, is simulated by using Hyperedit (*Gasp!*) to change fuel levels in the station. But I must have the infrastructure in place and have demonstrated it works. This requires time though, and I will warp through an orbit or two before doing so. RL time is valuable. I have no issues science farming with labs, as in RL, we have completed the majority of the tech tree as described in the stock game, with only going to the Moon a few times. So when I max out the tech tree, I convert most of the science I get to rep. But I really haven't been down the self imposed hard mode out of boredom yet, as I have only been playing career for a year or so. I figured in .24ish I'd wait till they got all the bugs out before committing to a full game. Yeah, I gave up waiting.
  24. Nik kal

[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

The mod runs in 1.4.3 but i have noticed some problems. 1) Some parts get upgraded even in the ships which are in flight. (the version is not showing but i have seen change in the weight of the ship) 2) Problems with the burn times. Both remote tech flight computer and BBT don't acknowledge the upgraded thrust of engines ( upgraded ISP or fuel flow), and making the burns too early. So for KSP 1.4.3 it's playable but not working 100% as intended.
  25. When did you check? Those posts are wrong. I personally bought M&B:WB from Amazon on August 25, 2013 (just checked my order history to make sure) and played it standalone without issues.
  26. as far as that goes we could produce thrust by ablating the surface with high power lasers, even remote lasers, perhaps used in conjunction with a mirror sat to get the beam in the best possible location.
  27. Linkin Park - In The End
  1. Load more activity