All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I finished my STS-3 mission. Mission report is here: https://imgur.com/a/CPWhTQF Some highlights: The IKEA Flatpack Telescope, crammed in the two cargo bays of the Romulus Space Shuttle. And the real reason for the name, although I coming up with cringe-worthy names and acronyms was part of the fun for me. Placing the mirror segments. Note the mirror segment in the foreground, with the MMU attached. It was supposed to have a docking port in front, like some of the other segments that have already been assembled. So I had to extract this mirror segment from the side, then dock with the other MMU from the back (all segments have a docking port in the back) before attaching it. When grabbed from the side like this, the segments (which weigh 1 ton each) are very hard to control. Kerbal-handling the biggest piece of the telescope, the Secondary Mirror Attachment, into place. I used both MMUs for this, as it is utterly uncontrollable with a single one. Moving one of the solar panel trusses in position. It attaches to the back of the telescope, so there's some way still to go. Ironically, this, being the only mandatory assembly step in the STS-3 challenge, was quite routine compared to some of the other assembly steps. With the telescope dish looming in the background, this is my favouite image of this mission. The IKEA Flatpack telescope, fully assembled. Note the Infernal Robotics window: it controls the shutter at the base of the secondary mirror attachment. This shutter, made from a 1.25 meter heat shield, protects the delicate instruments in case the telescope is ever going to be pointed directly at Kerbol. I accidentally forgot to include a probe core in the telescope, which is the reason for the docked MMU. With the MMU I could steer the telescope despite the lacking probe core. A probe core will be added to the telescope during the upcoming STS-4 telescope servicing mission. This mission will also be the target of the STS-4R rescue mission: During servicing of the telescope, something will go badly wrong, making rescue necessary. On final approach. I re-entered and landed directly from inclined orbit.
  3. Yes it's a work that takes time, mostly with KSP. You right, take your time to make a polished mod like you know how to do it. Thank you to spend your time on it, and for your motivation.
  4. Nothing conclusive from those logs but there are a lot of lines like: [Dynamic Battery Storage]: [Controller] [Scansat Duna (unloaded)]: Regenerating electrical data [Dynamic Battery Storage]: [Controller] [Scansat Duna (unloaded)]: Could not find an electrical storage part Plus other errors and exceptions coming from DynamicBatteryStorage. Checking the version hash, it's different from the one I have in my current 1.7.3 game, so it might be worth checking that you've got the latest compatible version installed.
  5. That's Amazing, I really appreciate your time. Thanks
  6. The sample return canister (SRC) is sealed, but not airtight. There is a filter (Figure 1 and 2) allows the pressure inside to equalize with the outside during reentry without introducing water or heatshield ablation products. Upon collection the SRC is kept under N2 purge to prevent ingest of moisture and contaminants. Otherwise, the canister would need to be heavy enough to hold vacuum, which is more expensive than OSIRIS-REx can afford. Also, based on the nitrogen agitation to collect the sample, the warm surface temperature of Bennu, and reentry heating we don't expect a lot of loosely bound gases so it would not have been a good use of resources to build an airtight and thus and heavier return capsule. Instead we will be observing the gases that are evolved upon heating in the laboratory. Fig 1. Note the location of the filter inside the SRC in panel b Fig 2. Diagram of the filter Filter performance and other fussy details can be found at https://rdcu.be/bYXUe
  7. have you decided to include a tether or not?
  8. And maybe there exists a dangerous edge case between "captured safely" and "not captured this pass". On a steep entry peak thermal loading is higher (and may overload the heat shield) but as it takes less time the capsule absorbs less energy through thermal transfer from the plasma sheath overall. And as the outer skin is hotter it actually re-radiates that heat quite efficiently. As a result inside temperatures remain bearable. A shallow re-entry may cause the capsule to be exposed to the plasma sheath for longer, causing it to absorb more energy over time. And it's cooler, so it doesn't re-radiate as efficiently. The inside of the capsule heats up and the contents get fatally cooked. Not sure if this mode exists for Apollo, but a certain combination of entry angle, capsule mass and lift to drag ratio could experience it.
  9. Personally, I'm delighted if one of my large deep space vessels has a TWR over 0.2 when leaving Kerbin orbit - most of them are much lower.
  10. 0.6 is huge for electric propulsion. You can land on Moho with that! Some of my chemical engine spacecraft have less. All of my LV-N spacecraft have less. ...Do we need to nerf the Colossus?
  11. Does this mun arch texture look new Here is my mun lander from last november and @Matt Lowne's Lander from December 2018.
  12. 40 (which is the official release value that you have) work well and also 45 tested. I am curious about an engine of 60, but scared about fuel consumption, but once this engine scale so nice I can only expect the best!
  13. No, the pattern is 1.25, 2.5, 5, 10, 20, 40 and 1.875, 3.75, 7.5, 15, 30, 60 mixed together
  14. Minor update - 2.1.2 Mod is now fully disabled when Kerbalism is installed (thanks SirMortimer) Corrected units in solar altitude display Added Chinese localization (tinygrox)
  15. Today
  16. I mean that I'd conceptually want to be able to port the models to KSP2, which we're pretty sure uses a different shading model, so the new textures should be built with that in the back of my mind. Current ones are not.
  17. Considering the usual TWR of SEP/NEP ships you're achieving quite a good TWR. 'High thrust' in the EP world means TWR sitting near or above 0.1. If you want a high TWR ship, you will need to use chemical or nuclear engines and pay the Isp price. Without crazy stuff like Orion, fusion or antimatter drives, that's just the way of the game. Side note, to get a realistic TWR for NFP engines, divide by 1000! They're very, very good compared to their IRL counterparts.
  18. Which sure enough mentions a British use to target German aircraft responding to their own IFF. The technology just wasn't there to make the encryption fast, light, and strong enough at the same time. But apparently it didn't stop them from trying (and of course British vs. German air battles were typically fought at night where visual identification was far, far, worse. So they pretty much had to try).
  19. Thanks, that would be awesome -- but also, no one is in a hurry, so please take whatever time you need. It's just cool to see how the creator intended the parts to be used.
  20. Its 'whenever I get the time in my busy life to spend some time modding on a game that I haven't actually been able to play in ~9 months'. Could be this weekend, could be sometime next year. It'll be out when its out. Basically right now I'm working on tracking down some long standing mysteries with regards to external mod interaction, and cleaning up a few edge cases on material handling. This is slow work -- long cycles of adding some debug statements, relaunching KSP, and waiting ~5 minutes for it to boot up, just to read through a log file for another ~10 minutes to look of oddities. Worse yet is when I actually need to make changes to shaders -- those take about ~25 minutes to recompile in Unity, another few minutes to package up and update the in-use version, and then still longer for KSP to start up. The other side of all this is -- the current/previous/published versions appears to work in 1.8, so nothing is stopping you from using it (which is also why I'm not in any huge rush to do a release; if it isn't broke, no need to 'fix' it).
  21. I admire anyone who makes the effort to post a mod and/or maintain it, and am most grateful to all for their efforts. Selecting favorites; I'm not sure I see a benefit there. So have to abstain from an actual vote. ...but thank you to all of these folks, and anyone that may not be listed.
  22. later on I can share more details, (remote now) If you look to the current size of the ship it is already huge, 45m diameter 1.4km long, 1 million tones when full loaded. Now image a super large ring with instances of this ship and even one stage of Daedalus engines in the middle, KSP is not prepared for things of this scale/magnitude, so is very painful to do edition, some times I prefer the notepad++ to do small changes. But I don't consider it impossible. If you look close: "0.613, 0.95, 1.13, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75, 5.0, 7.5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45 " All this values are +-50% bigger except the last one, with 45 still follow the rule of 50% bigger. But hey... I like big things specially engines!
  23. Dunno, try right-clicking on station parts and see if the option appears.
  24. It's a completely new Install and DMagic and ScanSat are the first two Mods I've added to it but the Problem still persists. As of now, I can only supply the Log Files from an older Installation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Jo8_e_wOz_rv8LSrX9ySRCmKKXF-Vku https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nqOeZwpkkNRRkPu22yforVRN1oht6DSE Current ones will follow shortly.
  25. LoL, love watching the legs scrabble a bit as it looses traction. Good times Indeed -- this is what I wrote the plugin for; all the fun stuff that would be hard/impossible with the stock system. Edit: After re-watching a few times, it just gets more awesome each time. Truly, some out of the box thinking and rigging there -- nice work
  1. Load more activity