All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. So... haven't seen this asked so far but then again 6 pages in. Will existing parts that have functions like the new robotic parts be able to be used in similar ways. So say landing legs have a piston-like function already. some have a hinge-like function could I use Kal1000 to use those function to make a millipede style rover.
  3. mikegarrison

plane info request

Many bombers of WW2 vintage would fit that description.
  4. Brotoro

SpaceX Discussion Thread

Up near Los Alamos. So the satellites already had Tater eye-tracks all over them by the time I got to see 'em.
  5. Jestersage

plane info request

I remember seeing the picture of a plane that is prop-propelled, and the cockpit is a large glass dome that extend all the wya to the floor for function as observation. Does anyone know the model/name of such plane?
  6. tater

SpaceX Discussion Thread

We saw the same. Where are you? We saw many as well with the binos.
  7. When it comes to spaceplanes, you'll want to design around the craft's centres of lift and mass rather than trying to compensate with aerodynamic control surfaces, which just won't work in the thin upper atmosphere or add too much wing mass for an efficient design. When building what I do to save headaches is have it so the centre of mass moves as little as possible as the fuel drains, meaning tank placement is always close to the CoM or balanced evenly around it, with fuel priorities set accordingly so uneven drain doesn't upset the arrangement. I also always empty every tank I place and only fill the craft with fuel before I go to test it, again working around the dry CoM and adjusting the wet CoM to match. This means I only have to worry about fiddling with wing placement to adjust the centre of lift rather than requiring major redesigns of the entire structure if it doesn't work as planned. When the CoL is far behind the CoM you get that "lawn dart" quality where the plane is very stable but only in a nosedive. Since spaceplane re-entry often involves some very wild pitching and rolling out of the airstream to alter trajectory, it's best to aim for manoeuvrability, which means having the CoL much closer to (but still behind) the CoM. Since this is generally the mission phase with little or no fuel left in the plane, you can see where designing around the dry CoM comes in handy here. So if your CoL is far behind your CoM and you don't want to re-do the whole thing from scratch, you can add leading canards to bring the CoL forwards and empty some noseward fuel tanks to move the mass rearward. Just a guess without seeing your plane but works for most use cases. The lawn dart quality of planes with a wide M/L gap is also what makes them hard to take off, not necessarily landing gear placement (though that helps), since the thick atmosphere at ground level is forcing them to nose down harder as they accelerate. I easily spend more time on any of my aircraft tweaking the centre of lift than I do on any other aspect of the design, and when it clicks you'll find them taking off, handling and landing buttery smooth every time. Mastery of this part of craft design definitely pays off, and informational tools like RCS build aid's DCoM indicator are a good way to learn some of these quirks, though not strictly necessary.
  8. mikegarrison

Hermeus supersonic airliner

This is not true as a general rule. It depends on the airline business model. LCCs (low cost carriers) tend to fly all coach and make their money on passenger volume. But many international carriers actually rely on business class as their main source of profit, which is why (for instance) that some A380s have an entire deck dedicated only to business class. I don't know where you are getting your incorrect information, but Europe and Asia definitely did (and do) have restrictions against supersonic flight over land. One of the main killers of the Concorde was when flights from Europe to Asia were all scrubbed because the countries being overflown refused to allow supersonic flight in their airspace. That's why all the regular Concorde routes ended up being trans-Atlantic.
  9. Brotoro

SpaceX Discussion Thread

I counted about 30 in the main pack, but I also spotted some dim ones ahead of the main bunch by maybe up to a minute. I was using 7x50 binocs and have fairly dark conditions. I was watching the dim leading ones with my binocs, first spotting some in Eridanus, and then along as they passed near the end of the handle of the Big Dipper. That's when my wife spotted the big pack with the three bright ones going past Denebola. The dim ones were hard to track because they would even fade in and out in the view through the binoculars.
  10. Ultimate Steve

SpaceX Discussion Thread

I only saw four of them, probably due to local light pollution, but it was still cool to see!
  11. That's the major problem with the Dauntless. The parts work fine (mostly), but it's barely controllable. The flight control setup was made for pre 1.0 and was never truly corrected for the new aerodynamic model for KSP after 1.0.5. (I don't call a series of MM patches a true correction for the problems.) The list of flight control problems is a long one, but none of it is unsolvable. I was able to get the Dauntless to fly well (some would say too well.) But the patches were rejected by the previous maintainer. Right now I'm just waiting for Eskandare to release a version with the needed custom drag cubes before I touch KSO again.
  12. Gargamel

please help me with SM Armory

Hi there @Lyingdeserted, welcome to the forums. Your post is a little vague, we might need some more details. First off, some pics of the situation would help. Secondly, we'll need your full mod list and possibly some log files if it comes to that. You can find the log files here:
  13. Brotoro

SpaceX Discussion Thread

That was impressive. There were three bright ones, and a whole line of dimmer ones, which sometimes glinted brighter.
  14. tater

SpaceX Discussion Thread

Man, if they don't dim substantially, this will be cool, then awful. And wow.
  15. Chryssalid 8492

What did you do in KSP today?

Sent Kerbals to Duna for the first time and had fun with the heat shield on my first attempt at landing on Duna.
  16. mikegarrison

Hermeus supersonic airliner

What makes you think that? There has been work on boom minimization, but I am told by an expert in the field that most of it relies on the airplane being relatively small. This is why some of the new bizjet concepts assume they will be able to lower their boom signature to acceptable levels, but nobody is claiming this for large airplanes (737/A320 size or bigger). First of all, in the USSR it didn't matter whether the people complained about the boom or not. The government didn't care. Secondly, Russia has a LOT of nearly empty land. This is why they are fine with launching rockets over land, for instance, while most countries insist rocket launches should be over water. Thirdly, there was only one scheduled route the TU-144 was ever used on, and it only flew that route one day per week. This is not true. Military airplanes are usually prohibited from flying supersonic over land except in designated military airspace or in exceptional cases. And there are plenty of complaints about noise from military airplanes even when they fly subsonic.
  17. NBDesigns

Triop's Adventures

Ohyyeah
  18. SUCC LORD

[RELEASED] Beyond Home.

Mod looks amazing, but one thing that has happened to me ever since 1.6.1 is that when I plant a flag, most of the time my kerbal starts to spin and is no longer able to move. Does anyone else have this, or is it just me?
  19. Lyingdeserted

please help me with SM Armory

Please Help!!!!! SM AFV Tank and Truck Wheels Inside The ground!!!!!!!!!! Answer Please!!!!! They are in the Ground!!!!!!!!!!! Helo~~~1435 Now Or not i need avdice Norw!!!!!! Ok
  20. I tried this. The fuel line did not go across the decoupler.
  21. AmpCat

[1.7+] Surface Mounted Lights - v1.13

Huh. Interesting. They did it differently. I noticed when I tried to edit the Restock adjusted lights, it doesn't do anything. Now I know why. It renamed the light module. I didn't think of looking there. What are those parts though? Another mod called OrbitalTug?
  22. FahmiRBLXian

What did you do in KSP today?

Doing a test review as a test to be one of the judges.
  23. tater

SpaceX Discussion Thread

Over the South Pacific right now it seems.
  24. Today
  25. Gargamel

Removing mods with modded saves

Make a backup of the GameData and Saves Directories first. That way, if it goes sideways, you can just drop the entire thing back in place. Why cull all of them? If you know which ones you want to keep, just keep those.
  26. roboslacker

Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation

I call the water east of the KSC scrap heap bay. And congrats on pulling off this madness.
  1. Load more activity